May 16, 2013
Pickens, SC
Good Morning Forum,

Specs:
2007 L4740 GST
350 hrs
LA 854 loader

Problem:
Bucket on the loader leaks down when running. Consistently have to tap controls to bring it back up.
Lift on loader operates fine and speed of bucket and loader seem normal. bucket leaks down no matter the RPM

I have searched and read several posts, but none are my exact tractor or loader, has anyone else experience this? Solution?

thank you,

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
I don't think it has anything to do with a model-specific defect in your particular FEL. Other posts on the issue, in general, should apply to your FEL.

It sounds like the cylinder seals need replaced. At least that is where to begin.

If that doesn't work then you'll have to consider the spool (controls).

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Does it fall faster when it's loaded?
If it does then it's most likely a Cylinder seal.
If it doesn't then it's more likely a spool valve problem.
If it's a cable controlled spool valve as I suspect, then it needs the linkage adjusted as it's going past center.

Corby

Equipment
07 L4740 GST
May 16, 2013
Pickens, SC
Wolfman,

It does not lower faster when loaded, where would I find the adjustments you talk about. I also don't see where it is cable operated on may machine

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
First thing to do to verify it's a valve Issue and not a cylinder seal of other fault is to swap the 2 lines for Up/Down with the two lines for roll.
You should loose the leak down on the arms and you probably won't notice that the buckets falling because the weight is less, but if it does then that's 100% indication it's in the valve or valve adjustment.
Another check would be to just swap the 2 lines on Up/Down and see if the problem is that it now rises instead of leaks down.

I said cables from the handle to the valve, but yours had adjustable rods, same concept. One of the rods might be set too short or long or is binding and not returning the valve to center.
It might also just need the valve rebuilt as there is an obstruction internally causing the issue.
Don't jump into adjusting anything yet at that operation is very delicate.

L4740 loader valve linkage.JPG

Reactions: 1 user

Luckystars

Equipment
M5950 M1840A RTV900 CLUB CAR CARRY ALL 1
Mar 1, 2018
Webster FL USA
First thing to do to verify it's a valve Issue and not a cylinder seal of other fault is to swap the 2 lines for Up/Down with the two lines for roll.
You should loose the leak down on the arms and you probably won't notice that the buckets falling because the weight is less, but if it does then that's 100% indication it's in the valve or valve adjustment.
Another check would be to just swap the 2 lines on Up/Down and see if the problem is that it now rises instead of leaks down.

I said cables from the handle to the valve, but yours had adjustable rods, same concept. One of the rods might be set too short or long or is binding and not returning the valve to center.
It might also just need the valve rebuilt as there is an obstruction internally causing the issue.
Don't jump into adjusting anything yet at that operation is very delicate.

View attachment 10805
Thanks Wolfman the M5950DT with the 1850A is spilling pallets off the forks if you walk away for a few minutes. I'm going to swap the raise hoses with the curl hoses and see if the problem moves. I'm betting it will need spool seals.