Bucket hook installation tips

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana
I just installed these in the fall. Used them a few times and they were handy. Probably use them a lot more for spring-fall work.
412C46DF-E574-4AC9-B2D6-4FBCADC46E46.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users

SRRGC1

Equipment
BX1870-1, BX23S TLB, RTV XG850, MX5100DT
Jan 6, 2021
Bloomsburg
I have ordered a set of bucket hooks.
many tips on where and how to install them.
i have an L4701
I’m assuming just use a quality drill bit and it’ll punch through easy enough is that right?
Also I am considering just mounting one hook in the middle of the bucket rather than 2- on either side. It seems like I could keep a more even pull. What’s the advantage of 2?

thanks in advance
2012 purchased an MX5100DT with loader and rotary mower for our hunting camp. Had a single grab hook welded to the bucket center. Because the tractor might be operated by numerous individuals, some of which should NOT operate equipment, did not have hooks mounted on bucket ends for fear someone would use only one side and twist the loader arms. I certainly understand and agree with the reasoning for grab hooks on both bucket ends for additional strength as long as both hooks are used. I did provide our membership with written do's and dont's regarding equipment operation for what that is worth.

Last edited:

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
2 grabs and a center slip welded to reinforcing plates on bucket and added angle in the center.
I had to look twice to make sure that was not my tractor loader bucket! :ROFLMAO:

I have the same layout. What I have found over the years is that the slip hook on the center is convenient, as I can pull my chain through it and connect the chain to a grab hook on either side, when necessary, without needing to struggle avoiding whatever I am trying to carry with the bucket.

Even if just pulling something, that feature is really nice.

My bucket hooks were welded on my bucket by you know who, and in many years never suffered from a side pull on the grab hooks. Actually, the side pull is minimal anyway, as the center grab hook take nearly all the force, since it is a chain and not a cable going around a bearing of some sort.

I would NEVER choose to put a grab hook on the center position. My experience tells me there is no advantage to doing so, and a loss of convenience if one does so. Might not be obvious to others. This is probably true at least if one uses chain rather than straps.

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
I had to look twice to make sure that was not my tractor loader bucket! :ROFLMAO:

I have the same layout. What I have found over the years is that the slip hook on the center is convenient, as I can pull my chain through it and connect the chain to a grab hook on either side, when necessary, without needing to struggle avoiding whatever I am trying to carry with the bucket.

Even if just pulling something, that feature is really nice.

My bucket hooks were welded on my bucket by you know who, and in many years never suffered from a side pull on the grab hooks. Actually, the side pull is minimal anyway, as the center grab hook take nearly all the force, since it is a chain and not a cable going around a bearing of some sort.

I would NEVER choose to put a grab hook on the center position. My experience tells me there is no advantage to doing so, and a loss of convenience if one does so. Might not be obvious to others. This is probably true at least if one uses chain rather than straps.
i have thought about welding a receiver on mine, but I already have one on my other attachment that also has a hook. If I didn’t have that, I’d do the hitch so I could swap between whats in the middle, grab, slip, hitch etc.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
having a receiver in the middle is awesome. I use it all the time, it is a huge time saver.

$18.00

SRRGC1

Equipment
BX1870-1, BX23S TLB, RTV XG850, MX5100DT
Jan 6, 2021
Bloomsburg
I know alot of folks disagree with mounting a single bucket hook in the center of the bucket due to possibly damaging the bucket. Attached are pictures on how I did my installation and help to strengthen the hook installation on my 23s. With the 23s not having alot of lift capacity, I should be good.

Attachments

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I know alot of folks disagree with mounting a single bucket hook in the center of the bucket due to possibly damaging the bucket. Attached are pictures on how I did my installation and help to strengthen the hook installation on my 23s. With the 23s not having alot of lift capacity, I should be good.
That is a clever solution. If I only had one hook, like yours it would be in the center and be a grab hook. 👍

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
lol truth
Depends on how you plan to use. On my B, I have two hooks and two shackle mounts…all bolted on and a real pain to install the way the bucket is made. On the MX I have two hooks and one 2 inch reciever in the center. I use mainly straps and chains, but it sure is handy to have a receiver on the front to push a trailer around.

muddhogg

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT, Ford 3910
May 20, 2018
GA
Just welded mine on myself, not the best looking for sure, I could have grinded on it some to make it cleaner and pretty, but as long as it holds I'm good.

Screen Shot 2021-12-22 at 5.02.20 PM.png

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
I appreciate those who've mentioned our company!

Remember we can serve your Bolt-On and Weld-On Hook needs, with USA made parts!

Please resist the urge to add cheap China made copies to your expensive machine!

muddhogg

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT, Ford 3910
May 20, 2018
GA
I’m just curious, how come you didn’t bolt them on?
Several reasons really. I’m a new welder, so I’m welding everything in site so I can develop that skill. Also, these hooks came with backing plates and there is no way they will fit under the hook. I know I could have just used some washers, but would have rather had the backing plates. And lastly, the weld should be stronger.

Reactions: 1 users

Dennis.D

Equipment
L6060, Erskine hydraulic snow blower, back hoe
Feb 16, 2018
Central, ME,USA
I have 3 hooks welded on. 2 out side ones are for chaining or strapping something in the bucket. I move around a lot of 55 gal drums with a barrel grabber. i will only lift from the center. Would rather bend a bucket than a loader arm or worst case scenario tip the tractor over.

Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
i have thought about welding a receiver on mine, but I already have one on my other attachment that also has a hook. If I didn’t have that, I’d do the hitch so I could swap between whats in the middle, grab, slip, hitch etc.
What I did is drill a couple holes in the bucket bottom, and bolt a tube that has two trailer balls on it, when I need it. Simple and effective. BUT I do not need to use a trailer ball on the loader except very rarely. And my welded on bucket hooks are there all the time...

I think it is great having the ability to use the loader to elevate or lower the hitch ball, to get things where you want them at the back of the trailer. I guess that could also be done with the 3PH...

jermz2021

Equipment
MX5400
Nov 27, 2021
Michigan
Weld hooks on the bucket. 2 or 3... whatever. Any hard pulls use a clevis on the rear pull bar of the tractor.