BT600 backhoe swings right but not back left

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
"If the spool goes in, then it likely is a linkage problem".

"If the spool does not go in, likely a linkage problem"

So....in either situation, it is "likely a linkage problem" ????
I do not understand how this could be!
Whoops! I meant to say if the spool does NOT go in, it is likely NOT a linkage problem.

So much for my proof reading ability! :oops:

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
Just popping in with progress so far. I have everything disconnected from the control valve and it is ready to be unbolted from the backhoe metal. I will get someone to finish removing the bolts while I hold the control valve. I don't know how heavy it is and would prefer to be safe and support it rather than to be sorry. The bolts are on the back side and it would be awkward to try to hold the valve and remove the bolts at the same time.

Each pair of hoses is color-coded and put into a zip lock to prevent dirt while waiting for the control valve to be returned to position so that the hoses can be attached again. I am taking pictures and also making a written diagram of what I have done. My ditzy brain needs reinforcement for when I put this little doozie back together. :)

I do not want to force the spool valve downward in the event that there is something preventing the travel downward. No point in causing scoring or other damage to the spool by forcing it downward. All the other spools go down easily so, to me, that's the problem with the spool for the swing. We may know before too long.

I won't be able to do anything tomorrow (Tueday) but will get to it when I can. I am eager to see what is happening.

Thanks again!

TG

Reactions: 1 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Just popping in with progress so far. I have everything disconnected from the control valve and it is ready to be unbolted from the backhoe metal. I will get someone to finish removing the bolts while I hold the control valve. I don't know how heavy it is and would prefer to be safe and support it rather than to be sorry. The bolts are on the back side and it would be awkward to try to hold the valve and remove the bolts at the same time.

Each pair of hoses is color-coded and put into a zip lock to prevent dirt while waiting for the control valve to be returned to position so that the hoses can be attached again. I am taking pictures and also making a written diagram of what I have done. My ditzy brain needs reinforcement for when I put this little doozie back together. :)

I do not want to force the spool valve downward in the event that there is something preventing the travel downward. No point in causing scoring or other damage to the spool by forcing it downward. All the other spools go down easily so, to me, that's the problem with the spool for the swing. We may know before too long.

I won't be able to do anything tomorrow (Tueday) but will get to it when I can. I am eager to see what is happening.

Thanks again!

TG
Pictures are ALWAYS good!

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
Update. Swing control valve disassembled. Spool removed and inspected. I have seen nothing remarkable...that is to say, all parts look OK, spring not broken, etc. The only thing that caught me off guard was the amount of "sediment" in the cap. It appeared to be at the bottom of the spring as well, so I'm wondering if that sediment would have prevented the spring from compressing? The sediment was just that...a black sediment. The ports of this valve did expel hydraulic fluid when I took the hoses off. The tractor is 19 years old, so sediment would not surprise me.

I have re-assembled and could press that spool down now even though it is not attached to the backhoe unit yet. I did not try to depress it prior to taking it apart...wish I would have. Maybe it will go now since there is no fluid.

Here's the dis-assembled valve. And, by the way, it was easy to take apart. Fortunately, I had purchased a set of hex bits; otherwise, I would've been "...without a paddle."

Any speculations are always welcomed. :)

TG

control valve.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Looks like the control lever assembly is part of what you took off. Before you put the valve back in can you verify that the levers work the spools as expected?

If they do, chances are it will work fine when you put it back in place...

ruger1980

Equipment
L4310 w/La682, L225
Oct 25, 2020
CNY
Yes any contamination in the cap can prevent some movement of the spool in that direction. Clean it up and reassemble. I would coat the spring assembly lightly with oil before installing the can to help with rust.
Was the screw that holds the spring to the spool loose or did you remove it? That could cause the issue as well.

ruger1980

Equipment
L4310 w/La682, L225
Oct 25, 2020
CNY
Looks like the control lever assembly is part of what you took off. Before you put the valve back in can you verify that the levers work the spools as expected?

If they do, chances are it will work fine when you put it back in place...
No the lever assemblies pivot in the cover assembly that bolts to the frame of the step assembly.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
No the lever assemblies pivot in the cover assembly that bolts to the frame of the step assembly.
In that case I suppose they can't be checked before assembly then because they don't have a solid point to mount to.

I don't know the setup and can't visualize what is there to be honest. Just know it pays to check what one can before assembly if possible. In any event, what's the chances that the problem was in the lever assembly mechanicals? Probably slim.

Edit: eagerly awaiting the happy ending to the story! :giggle:

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
Update. Swing control valve disassembled. Spool removed and inspected. I have seen nothing remarkable...that is to say, all parts look OK, spring not broken, etc. The only thing that caught me off guard was the amount of "sediment" in the cap. It appeared to be at the bottom of the spring as well, so I'm wondering if that sediment would have prevented the spring from compressing? The sediment was just that...a black sediment. The ports of this valve did expel hydraulic fluid when I took the hoses off. The tractor is 19 years old, so sediment would not surprise me.

I have re-assembled and could press that spool down now even though it is not attached to the backhoe unit yet. I did not try to depress it prior to taking it apart...wish I would have. Maybe it will go now since there is no fluid.

Here's the dis-assembled valve. And, by the way, it was easy to take apart. Fortunately, I had purchased a set of hex bits; otherwise, I would've been "...without a paddle."

Any speculations are always welcomed. :)

TG

View attachment 93802
I would say you have done excellent. I am inclined to say you found your problem, and in the process have learned a great deal.

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
I would say you have done excellent. I am inclined to say you found your problem, and in the process have learned a great deal.
[/QUOTE]
No more calls...we have a winner! Apparently it was the sediment, keeping the spring from compressing totally. Personally, I can't believe it but, nonetheless, I feel like a million dollars...all green and wrinkled :)

As woodman said, I have learned a great deal. Before long, I may actually understand how this equipment works. I didn't get a chance to test to any big level but since it was able to swing left now, I'm counting it as a "fix."

Another big thanks to all who contributed to the exercise and eventual solution. I couldn't have done it without you.

TG

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Good deal. While you have it off, I'd probably take the caps off the other spools, flush them out/off, and coat them with oil like Ruger1980 suggested. Then make sure they work both ways and reinstall. Job well done!

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
Good deal. While you have it off, I'd probably take the caps off the other spools, flush them out/off, and coat them with oil like Ruger1980 suggested. Then make sure they work both ways and reinstall. Job well done!
Yes, I should have done that. But...I didn't. It was in my mind that if one had sediment, probably the others would, too. Today, I was looking forward to finding out if the main problem was solved. Now that I see how to remove all the components, I may decide to do that, especially now that the weather will be cold for a while. Thanks for the reminder.

TG

Edited to add: I think I could take those caps off to clean without removing the whole thing again!

Last edited:

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
No more calls...we have a winner! Apparently it was the sediment, keeping the spring from compressing totally. Personally, I can't believe it but, nonetheless, I feel like a million dollars...all green and wrinkled :)

As woodman said, I have learned a great deal. Before long, I may actually understand how this equipment works. I didn't get a chance to test to any big level but since it was able to swing left now, I'm counting it as a "fix."

Another big thanks to all who contributed to the exercise and eventual solution. I couldn't have done it without you.

TG
[/QUOTE]
You are hereby awarded the Medal of Honor which in the tractor community is a greasy salute :D

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
EV

TG
[/QUOTE]

EVERYBODY loves to hear about a BIG win!
Congratulations on a job well done!

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC

TG
You are hereby awarded the Medal of Honor which in the tractor community is a greasy salute :D
[/QUOTE]
I humbly accept and return with a greasy salute of my own.

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
Yes, I should have done that. But...I didn't. It was in my mind that if one had sediment, probably the others would, too. Today, I was looking forward to finding out if the main problem was solved. Now that I see how to remove all the components, I may decide to do that, especially now that the weather will be cold for a while. Thanks for the reminder.

TG

Edited to add: I think I could take those caps off to clean without removing the whole thing again!
Question on the oil for the spring in the cap. I don't see any information as to whether there is oil held in these caps to keep the spring lubricated. Seems like a good idea. I did not add oil into the cap prior to reinstalling. I can always go back and fix it.

TG