BT600 backhoe swings right but not back left

ruger1980

Equipment
L4310 w/La682, L225
Oct 25, 2020
CNY
The issue is access. Go back and look at the video around the 17 minute mark where he removes the front cover over the valve. Good luck getting in past those hoses to access the screws on the end cover. There are 12 hoses in two layers and spaced about 1" on center.

Dan
He is also not working on a BT600. They look to be quite different in the structure around the control valve/

I also say where there is a will there is a way. If need be remove the 2 swing hoses and that should provide enough access to the cap and bolts.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
that video's for a BH92 and not a BH600,from the dwgs I see, 4 bolts release the valve assy, then remove the 'pedestal' or whatever they call it(post #117), then valve assy should be hanging in free air buy all the hoses....
unless I'm missing something.

BTW had a look...my BX23S has a 'one piece ' valve assy, so not a 'one size fits all' deal.....

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
that video's for a BH92 and not a BH600,from the dwgs I see, 4 bolts release the valve assy, then remove the 'pedestal' or whatever they call it(post #117), then valve assy should be hanging in free air buy all the hoses....
unless I'm missing something.

BTW had a look...my BX23S has a 'one piece ' valve assy, so not a 'one size fits all' deal.....
We have already determined she has a sectional valve. At this point its just a matter of getting to it. I certainly can't tell her how to do that. She is in the best position to make that determination and the BH92 video is certainly a good example to consider - very easy job with no fuss and no muss.

Dan

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Rather than take the entire valve body out I would remove the cap on the bottom of the section and inspect the spring and the capture bolt. I have seen the bolt back out on valves before and limit movement of the spool. if with the cap off the spool still does not able to be moved then remove the lines and fittings in the swing section and inspect for debris in the spool.

No sense making more work for yourself than need be,
I mostly agree. The valve appears to be secured to the "step" by two bolts in the bottom of the end section It looks like once you remove the top (170) and side cover (240) the valve assembly can be unbolted and allowed to "flop" forward out away from the step where it is supported by the hoses.

Dan

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Agreed it is easy, especially with the drawings at Kubota's online parts page ! Probably less than an hour, providing all the nuts and bolts come off easily and the phone doesn't ring more than 4 or 5 times.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Everything is easy if you have the mechanical inclination to do that type of work. Not everyone can do everything, and that is why some mechanics are hacks and others are surgeons with wrenches. All the best tools in the world will not make a master mechanic out of those that don't have the ability to know how to use them.

Reactions: 1 user

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Everything is easy if you have the mechanical inclination to do that type of work. Not everyone can do everything, and that is why some mechanics are hacks and others are surgeons with wrenches. All the best tools in the world will not make a master mechanic out of those that don't have the ability to know how to use them.
I am going to huess you have never replaced the valve cover gasket or water pump in a twin turbo BMW 335i o_O

Dan

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I am going to huess you have never replaced the valve cover gasket or water pump in a twin turbo BMW 335i o_O

Dan
You are correct, I haven't. Not certain how much needs to be removed, but my guess is that you could spend 6 or 8 hours just getting to it. Much like my Ford where they put the water pump inside of the engine, so when it fails, it ruins the engine as a result of the coolant mixing with the engine oil. Another engine that I wouldn't want to get into. On the flip side of the discussion, I had been into the backhoe valve on my old BX22, and it wasn't a fun thing to take apart. On the good side of things, I have a well-stocked tool boxes, and I was able to complete the task of replacing the one leaking hose without losing my sanity. When I turned wrenches for a living, I worked on whatever came in for repair. I am long past there now, and I don't even work on my own cars except to change the oil and check fluid levels. I'm not a fan of modern engines with all the computer technology involved. I prefer simple mechanical things today.
I also know that not everyone has the same mechanical skills, and I fear that if she gets in over her head she will be in worse shape. I also believe that this repair might be beyond her pay grade. I have known many women that could turn a wrench better than most men, but they are a rarity because most women haven't been exposed to the mechanical side of an automobile. Today it is no longer acceptable to say that a woman can't do what a man can do, however, there are many things that a man can do that a woman can do better. I am just not certain in this instance that this is the case. I might wind up in the penalty box for typing this, but she needs to know the size of the can of worms this can turn out to be. This isn't like changing a tire.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
re: This isn't like changing a tire.

well, it is EASIER that 'tossing a tube' into most riding mower front tires with 6" rims !!!!:)

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
You are correct, I haven't. Not certain how much needs to be removed, but my guess is that you could spend 6 or 8 hours just getting to it. Much like my Ford where they put the water pump inside of the engine, so when it fails, it ruins the engine as a result of the coolant mixing with the engine oil. Another engine that I wouldn't want to get into. On the flip side of the discussion, I had been into the backhoe valve on my old BX22, and it wasn't a fun thing to take apart. On the good side of things, I have a well-stocked tool boxes, and I was able to complete the task of replacing the one leaking hose without losing my sanity. When I turned wrenches for a living, I worked on whatever came in for repair. I am long past there now, and I don't even work on my own cars except to change the oil and check fluid levels. I'm not a fan of modern engines with all the computer technology involved. I prefer simple mechanical things today.
I also know that not everyone has the same mechanical skills, and I fear that if she gets in over her head she will be in worse shape. I also believe that this repair might be beyond her pay grade. I have known many women that could turn a wrench better than most men, but they are a rarity because most women haven't been exposed to the mechanical side of an automobile. Today it is no longer acceptable to say that a woman can't do what a man can do, however, there are many things that a man can do that a woman can do better. I am just not certain in this instance that this is the case. I might wind up in the penalty box for typing this, but she needs to know the size of the can of worms this can turn out to be. This isn't like changing a tire.
Your misogyny is showing. This job has NOTHING to do with gender. Just from what I have heard from TG I am confident she is way more mechanically quakified for this job than my 44 year old son.

Dan

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Yah think?
"it is no longer acceptable to say that a woman can't do what a man can do"

Just a couple of examples!
Can a woman firefighter carry a 200 pound person from a burning building, and down a ladder?
Can a woman be a nose tackle for a pro football team?

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Your misogyny is showing. This job has NOTHING to do with gender. Just from what I have heard from TG I am confident she is way more mechanically quakified for this job than my 44 year old son.

Dan
It has nothing to do with misogyny, but with the information that I have gathered in reading her posts in this thread. I have no prejudice against women as you imply. I agree that this job has nothing to do with gender, I just believe in giving everyone, both men, and women the facts of the job and what can go wrong. It is entirely up to TG if she wants to move forward once she understands the scope of the job. If she decides to move forward with the task then I hope that she will be successful.

#40Fan

Jul 21, 2022
USA
Here is going to be my guess as to what the problem is. The seals circled in red have allowed fluid to pass by, filling the inside of the piece circled in blue, causing a hydro lock situation.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
Hay I like that idea !! Means there should NOT be ANY oil dripping out when bolts 'L' and block 'K' are removed.

What's interesting to me is that the Caps 'E' and spring 'F' are in a different sequence or order than those on my BX23S...so... you need to have the CORRECT diagrams for what ever you're working on, as not all valves are built the same.

It'll be nice to KNOW what's really going on, hopefully before page 9 or 10 or the new year arrives.....

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Here is going to be my guess as to what the problem is. The seals circled in red have allowed fluid to pass by, filling the inside of the piece circled in blue, causing a hydro lock situation.

Interesting idea and only time will tell. But my guess is if that were the case there would be a visible oil leak around the gasketless cover.

ruger1980

Equipment
L4310 w/La682, L225
Oct 25, 2020
CNY
Interesting idea and only time will tell. But my guess is if that were the case there would be a visible oil leak around the gasketless cover.
I would agree as pretty much every similar valve I have worked on had a way to vent the cap whether it were a sintered plug a relief cut in the cap.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
OK, that makes sense, now wondering why those 3 parts ( 2 seals and plate) are different on the 'top' end ? I'd have thought ,they'd be the same pieces...
It'd be nice to have one of these to examine but at $1000 Canucks, kinda pricey just to 'see how it works'.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Hay I like that idea !! Means there should NOT be ANY oil dripping out when bolts 'L' and block 'K' are removed.

What's interesting to me is that the Caps 'E' and spring 'F' are in a different sequence or order than those on my BX23S...so... you need to have the CORRECT diagrams for what ever you're working on, as not all valves are built the same.

It'll be nice to KNOW what's really going on, hopefully before page 9 or 10 or the new year arrives.....
Is this thread really headed for "pallets in the field" type fame?