Brush Hog Slip Clutch

CAPT Seabee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L5460
Dec 28, 2022
Bonners Ferry ID
I have a L5460 which a quick hitch is used to grab a RCR 1272 Brush Hog. It originally had the Grade 2 shear bolt. Problem is, unlike my now gone JD 1025R, the PTO isn't a soft engage. The brush hog has lots of inertia. Even at idle, I'd get a slam on engagement. Around ten times later, the shear bolt would be toast. BTW, much of the drive shaft shrouding creates unsafe conditions when trying to lube, replace a shear bolt, etc. So for around $208, a slip clutch was installed using Grade 5 shear bolts on each end. It's a two person job because of the unsafe shroud that severely limits access. My son made the difference. Now I still engage at idle, but there isn't the "slam". It's getting smoother as the clutch wears in a bit. Bottom line, makes life work again. Kubota instructions says Grade 8 and Grade 2 shear bolts, but the dealer said just use two Grade 5's and I'm good to go.

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
Are you transporting passengers on the brush chopper? If not, I'd remove the guard and make your life easier.

Last edited:

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I have a L5460 which a quick hitch is used to grab a RCR 1272 Brush Hog. It originally had the Grade 2 shear bolt. Problem is, unlike my now gone JD 1025R, the PTO isn't a soft engage. The brush hog has lots of inertia. Even at idle, I'd get a slam on engagement. Around ten times later, the shear bolt would be toast. BTW, much of the drive shaft shrouding creates unsafe conditions when trying to lube, replace a shear bolt, etc. So for around $208, a slip clutch was installed using Grade 5 shear bolts on each end. It's a two person job because of the unsafe shroud that severely limits access. My son made the difference. Now I still engage at idle, but there isn't the "slam". It's getting smoother as the clutch wears in a bit. Bottom line, makes life work again. Kubota instructions says Grade 8 and Grade 2 shear bolts, but the dealer said just use two Grade 5's and I'm good to go.
Bingo.

That's the problem with most indepent PTO clutches. No way to feather engagement.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Are you transporting passengers on the brush chopper? If not, I'd remove the guard and make your life easier.
Shaft will wrap-up with grass, weeds, etc., in many conditions.

Reactions: 1 user

hoobie

Equipment
mx5100
Aug 11, 2020
canada
My mx5100 hydrostatic trans tractor has a main clutch as well. I shove the clutch with my left foot, then engage the pto switch at idle, then feather the bush hog up to speed letting out the main clutch with my foot. Pto won't turn until the main clutch is engaged.