Brush Hog BH17 vs BH27

Kwinstead

Jul 2, 2014
Brandon, MS
I just purchased a new M7060 & now am looking to pick up a bush hog. I am wanting a 7' due to the fact that it will only stick out past the tires a couple inches on each side. My local dealer has the BH27 in stock, but it is a beast. It has a 130hp gearbox along with dual rear wheels. That being said the BH17 also has 130hp gearbox but with a single wheel on the rear. It appears to me the only difference is the BH17 is rated for 2" diameter brush & the BH27 is rated for 3". Obviously the price tag is different as well. The BH27 is $1,000 more than the BH17. So my question is what do y'all think? Will the heavier duty bush hog cut as good (especially in grass) as the lighter duty? And is it worth the additional $1,000?

BTW I noticed a prior thread asking a similar question regarding the Land Pride bush hogs of the same size. Everybody was recommending him to go to an 8' bush hog. I don't really want to go up to an 8' as I will be purchasing a 10' pull type for larger jobs in the future. For now I am looking for a smaller (but not too small) bush hog to do light/medium maintenance around my home as well as the deer woods. Thanks in advance.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I just purchased a new M7060 & now am looking to pick up a bush hog. I am wanting a 7' due to the fact that it will only stick out past the tires a couple inches on each side. My local dealer has the BH27 in stock, but it is a beast. It has a 130hp gearbox along with dual rear wheels. That being said the BH17 also has 130hp gearbox but with a single wheel on the rear. It appears to me the only difference is the BH17 is rated for 2" diameter brush & the BH27 is rated for 3". Obviously the price tag is different as well. The BH27 is $1,000 more than the BH17. So my question is what do y'all think? Will the heavier duty bush hog cut as good (especially in grass) as the lighter duty? And is it worth the additional $1,000?

BTW I noticed a prior thread asking a similar question regarding the Land Pride bush hogs of the same size. Everybody was recommending him to go to an 8' bush hog. I don't really want to go up to an 8' as I will be purchasing a 10' pull type for larger jobs in the future. For now I am looking for a smaller (but not too small) bush hog to do light/medium maintenance around my home as well as the deer woods. Thanks in advance.
Looking at your last statement - I would save the 1000 bucks and use the less expensive one. I have used a brush hog before and run over fairly large 2"plus objects .....I would not like to hit anything bigger!:eek::)
If you have a larger unit coming in the future - stay with the <$ unit!