Brown tree cutter

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Anyone using a 3pt Brown tree cutter?

Picked up a 5’ to use with the M59. Will use an overrunning pto clutch because of massive inertia of the cutter disk.
IMG_2760.jpeg
IMG_2761.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Anyone using a 3pt Brown tree cutter?

Picked up a 5’ to use with the M59. Will use an overrunning pto clutch because of massive inertia of the cutter disk.
View attachment 107881 View attachment 107882
I had to look those up - Yikes!!
Bush Hog on double dose steroids.!!!!
The big boy model weighs 5000# and will gnaw through an 8" trunk!!!!

Make sure you wear your hard hat o_O

Dan

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

Smokeydog

Equipment
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
25’ black walnut with dull blades.
IMG_2765.jpeg

Could do it but a little too big. Size 13 brogan. Cut part way, push over with loader then finish cutting. Wood chips fly! This is where HST really shines and can out power gear tractors.

Many 6-8’ hardwood trees in the old pastures with just as tall weeds the brown cutter just eats up. No suction lift to blades. Woody brush like privet no problem.

The Kubota M59 is at the lower Hp requirements for the 5’ brown cutter. Wouldn’t want smaller or lighter. Going to be a great tool for the perimeter and trail maintenance.

Usually time the once a year bush hogging on the fallow pastures to cut down trees and weeds. Leaves good grass from fall to spring for all the deer and turkeys. This is a little early to mow but the brown cutter easily took out the stemy growth and left most of the grass. No big mats of mowed grass. Have to experiment how this compares to bush hogging.

Smokeydog

Equipment
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Ensure that the slip clutch is properly adjusted!
Yes. I could see, feel, smell it slip at high load. Going to spray paint a strip across the clutches today to give a visual indicator. Suspect it has never been adjusted and glad it wasn’t rusted together. Rather them slip than the internal tractor clutch.
Override additional pto clutch is a must. This tractor brakes the pto. Took 3 minutes to stop spinning after disengaging.

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
Be careful using the overspeed coupler, you're moving the front drive shaft joint back about 5-6 inches. Consider adding a drive shaft loop for protection.

Smokeydog

Equipment
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Be careful using the overspeed coupler, you're moving the front drive shaft joint back about 5-6 inches. Consider adding a drive shaft loop for protection.
Appreciate your comments. Can you show an example?

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
I would use a 2-4" long piece of 8" sch 40 pipe, weld on two pieces of box iron to your vertical uprights. Cut the box iron long and weld them to one end of the pipe Attach the mower and place it in the normal cutting position, center the pipe around the shaft and weld the box iron to the face of the uprights. Try to have the loop more forward than rearward, to prevent taking your head if the overspeed or front "U" joint fails. By being more forward it also allows for more vertical movement of the mower. Be reminded that even though your shaft is somewhat in a cage, the shaft can telescope out.

Smokeydog

Equipment
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Haven’t seen that on cutters but I think I understand your concern.
The tractor has a shielding guard that could be lengthened.
IMG_2766.jpeg

Smokeydog

Equipment
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Sharpened the blades made a big difference. They have a side and end cutting bevel. Two blades bevel up, two blades bevel down on a massive 3/4” thick square disk. They hit tree high and low like an ax taking out chunks. Unlike rotary cutter blades have no lift. They also can be flipped for a new cutting edge. Super aerospace tuff steel.

Driving over down limbs is like sending them thru a chipper. Cuts tall weedy old pastures okay. Only 5’ wide means many more time around. Taking out a lot of encroaching trees. Four post ROPS with top helps when getting bonked by tall saplings. Tractor and operator gets covered by more debris from the open rear deck than with a rotary cutter.
Still trying to find an owners manual for this model.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Where did you find it? Were you looking for one or just stumble upon it?

How does your M59 handle it? Spec shows 46 HP at PTO and Brown recommends 60-100 Hp for their 5' model.

Last edited:

Smokeydog

Equipment
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Where did you find it? Were you looking for one or just stumble upon it?

How does your M59 handle it? Spec shows 46 HP at PTO and Brown recommends 60-100 Hp for their 5' model.
Been looking. Bought a rough 6’ over a year ago. Studied on repairs and gave up and sold it. Found this one in operating condition on Marketplace 25 miles from me. $1,150.

50-100hp range. I’m at the low end. Heavy built TLB and HST helps a lot.

Running over limbs is like sending them thru a chipper. Pairs well with the FEL limb saw.

Smokeydog

Equipment
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Got into some field fence and quickly stopped. Discovered several layers of electric and high tensile barbed wire from previous owner around the spindle.

Took many hours over several days to remove. Due diligence I didn’t check after I bought it.

Brown Manufacturing was kind Enough to send email of operator manual and parts list. About 1998 vintage.
IMG_2772.jpeg

Back to busting brush.

Reactions: 1 users

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
@Smokeydog
As I understand that implement it basically chops the large tree down like an axe. But it appears that rear bumper is outside the blade radius for safety purposes. I see it is spring loaded so should move in towards the blades and allow the blades to get to the trunk.

How far does that bumper move in towards the implement?

How stiff is it to move the bumper in?

Smokeydog

Equipment
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
@Smokeydog
As I understand that implement it basically chops the large tree down like an axe. But it appears that rear bumper is outside the blade radius for safety purposes. I see it is spring loaded so should move in towards the blades and allow the blades to get to the trunk.

How far does that bumper move in towards the implement?

How stiff is it to move the bumper in?
Rated for 6” trees. I’ve made a few bigger than that. Multiple stems of mature privet, multiflora rose or Russian olive are absolutely obliterated.

Guard moves about 10”. Can’t compress by hand but easy with tractor. Resistance helps push brush away from tractor. Tall and leaning trees toward tractor are cut half way. Pushed over with FEL. Then finish cutting.

M59 has four post ROPS with top. Need similar protection cutting trees or working in the woods. Keep in mind this is the smallest tree cutter Brown Manufacturing makes. The M59 with 5’ cutter is over 11,000#, 59hp is at the minimum Hp recommend.

Smokeydog

Equipment
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
IMG_2775.jpeg
IMG_2780.jpeg

Used the brown tree cutter like a rotary cutter to mow Some fallow pastures and clean up the fence lines.