Broken casting on BH 77 excavator

JPM

Equipment
M62 BX2680 u24
Apr 10, 2024
Connecticut
I just bought a new 3302 tractor with a BH77 excavator attached from dealer. I have only 8 hours on tractor, and have barely used the excavator. Yesterday this casting broke - its at the area where the safety pin is installed to keep excavator from swinging from right to left. Has this happened to anyone else? I have not abused the tractor in any way, in fact I am a new tractor owner and have been babying the heck out of it. Seems like a bad casting but wanted to see what anyone else thought? Thanks

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I just bought a new 3302 tractor with a BH77 excavator attached from dealer. I have only 8 hours on tractor, and have barely used the excavator. Yesterday this casting broke - its at the area where the safety pin is installed to keep excavator from swinging from right to left. Has this happened to anyone else? I have not abused the tractor in any way, in fact I am a new tractor owner and have been babying the heck out of it. Seems like a bad casting but wanted to see what anyone else thought? Thanks
Let me be the first to chastize you for calling your backhoe an excavator :p

I would call that a defect in materials and it should be covered by warranty.

Dan

Reactions: 1 users

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
What he said…on both points!^^^^^

That sucks. But you're not the first. I've seen this before.

Did you start to swing with the lock in place??? Or possibly hit something with the hoe when turning?

I believe that may be what you hear from your dealer...I hope not.

JPM

Equipment
M62 BX2680 u24
Apr 10, 2024
Connecticut
That sucks. But you're not the first. I've seen this before.

Did you start to swing with the lock in place??? Or possibly hit something with the hoe when turning?

I believe that may be what you hear from your dealer...I hope not.
No I didnt hit anything with it. Pin was in when it broke. I noticed a fair amount of wear on the pin and a fair amount of wear in the hole that the pin fit through. You have heard of this before? Wonder if its undersized or a defect in casting?

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
No I didnt hit anything with it. Pin was in when it broke. I noticed a fair amount of wear on the pin and a fair amount of wear in the hole that the pin fit through. You have heard of this before? Wonder if its undersized or a defect in casting?
I think its a pretty weak point in the casting. Someone else on this forum had this happen fairly recently as well. I don't recall if they ever admitted to any wrong doing...but I think the dealer replaced it.

I don't use the swing lock at all...for this very reason. It's just too easy to forget that the pin is in there and the operator tries to swing the boom.

Question is, do you have KTAC insurance on the machine? If so, you should be fine.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I think its a pretty weak point in the casting. Someone else on this forum had this happen fairly recently as well. I don't recall if they ever admitted to any wrong doing...but I think the dealer replaced it.

I don't use the swing lock at all...for this very reason. It's just too easy to forget that the pin is in there and the operator tries to swing the boom.

Question is, do you have KTAC insurance on the machine? If so, you should be fine.

"I don't use the swing lock at all"
BINGO !

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
"a fair amount of wear on the pin and a fair amount of wear in the hole"

This, on a machine with only 8 hours on the clock?
This is a transport lock,.... not a moving part!
How can it be ?

JPM

Equipment
M62 BX2680 u24
Apr 10, 2024
Connecticut

How can it be ?
The pin fits in the casting hole loosely. I used the tractor for moving wood chip over some pretty bumpy ground for most of the 8 hours. The wear on the pin lines up with the lower edge of the casting hole and the casting shows wear in one location where the pin rests. I am thinking that the pin and casting wear is due to vibration and differential movement between pin and casting?

JPM

Equipment
M62 BX2680 u24
Apr 10, 2024
Connecticut

How can it be ?
Here are some photos of the wear

How can it be ?

Attachments

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny

Mine has never been back in since delivery. I have a lot of slopes here and like to be able to reach back and turn it to the uphill side for ballast when I travel across them. Also when putting it in the garage I can swing it to get in further. I keep it in the holder so if needed for like blown hose on the swing should happen I could lock it then.

Bill

Reactions: 2 users

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Not a 'wear point'. At most, vibration over time 'might' cause the paint to 'wear off'. It is not a tight fit for the pin, in fact deliberately sloppy to make alignment (pin inserting) easy, the point is to keep the hoe from swinging on its' own. I only use the (other) one to prevent the hoe from drooping when parked.
I'll wager the dealer will tell you it was an owner error. I do not see anything on the casting that leads me to think it had a defect.
On the plus side, it is not critical unless trailering and even then, you can chain it to prevent movement.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Not a 'wear point'. At most, vibration over time 'might' cause the paint to 'wear off'. It is not a tight fit for the pin, in fact deliberately sloppy to make alignment (pin inserting) easy, the point is to keep the hoe from swinging on its' own. I only use the (other) one to prevent the hoe from drooping when parked.
I'll wager the dealer will tell you it was an owner error. I do not see anything on the casting that leads me to think it had a defect.
On the plus side, it is not critical unless trailering and even then, you can chain it to prevent movement.
100% AGREED!
(I have NEVER used either of my two pins!)

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh

Looks like a ductile fracture to me and I don't see any inclusions or other usual casting flaws. It's tough for me to determine if the failure was cyclical.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
OP - just for giggles. pull the boom up and lock it (not the swing lock). Move the dipper by hand side to side (engine off) and see if there is any excessive side to side slop in the main boom knuckle or in the swing cylinder joints.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Welcome to the forum!
You were doing loader work over rough ground, by your description, for about 8 hours. With the pin in place, there would be a significant amount of leverage on that pin and the casting. From the looks of it, it's not a casting defect, but a failure due to overload. As suggested, the pin should not have been left in place. Whether Kubota will cover it, you'll have to ask.
I'm curious- in the owners manual, what is the instruction for using the pin?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Let me be the first to chastize you for calling your backhoe an excavator :p

I would call that a defect in materials and it should be covered by warranty.

Dan
Welcome to the forum!
You were doing loader work over rough ground, by your description, for about 8 hours. With the pin in place, there would be a significant amount of leverage on that pin and the casting. From the looks of it, it's not a casting defect, but a failure due to overload. As suggested, the pin should not have been left in place. Whether Kubota will cover it, you'll have to ask.
I'm curious- in the owners manual, what is the instruction for using the pin?
I am curious as well. Why would locking the hoe when its not in use be a problem?

Dan

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
2nd picture in post #10 shows a LOT of RUST on the inside of the hole. As it's an 8 hour old machine, WHERE did all that rust come from ?
Real curious about that !
Also the powder coat is all chipped in there as well.
FYI... I leave both pins in my BX23S,fairly snug fit. Always have to move BH to the left to release the pin.

I find it hard to believe you could break it ,though I'd like to hear others who have OP's BH respond.