Broadcast Seeding Tips

LarryBud

Equipment
L3130
Dec 5, 2020
Cleveland, MO
Hi Folks,

I need to seed 9.5 acres with a warm season grass / pollinator mix. Some of the pollinator seeds will be microscopic. My plan is to mix it with a carrier. Suggestion I can find are lime pellets, wheat, oats and cracked corn.

I'm leaning toward cracked corn as I can buy it locally at TSC and its fairly cheap. The Mrs. thinks it will attract birds and we may lose seed stock along with the carrier. Any thoughts on this? Other suggestions?

Thanks,

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Hi Folks,

I need to seed 9.5 acres with a warm season grass / pollinator mix. Some of the pollinator seeds will be microscopic. My plan is to mix it with a carrier. Suggestion I can find are lime pellets, wheat, oats and cracked corn.

I'm leaning toward cracked corn as I can buy it locally at TSC and its fairly cheap. The Mrs. thinks it will attract birds and we may lose seed stock along with the carrier. Any thoughts on this? Other suggestions?

Thanks,
You can buy rice hulls really cheap from the same dealers that sell native grass seed. In fact you can order the seed pre-mixed with the rice hulls. That’s how small native seeds are applied in large scale land management projects. I agree with your wife: corn will attract birds that will eat your seed, and I think that won’t work well to make the small seeds flow. The small seeds stick inside the rice hulls and makes the application work really well.

Reactions: 1 users

LarryBud

Equipment
L3130
Dec 5, 2020
Cleveland, MO
You can buy rice hulls really cheap from the same dealers that sell native grass seed. In fact you can order the seed pre-mixed with the rice hulls. That’s how small native seeds are applied in large scale land management projects. I agree with your wife: corn will attract birds that will eat your seed, and I think that won’t work well to make the small seeds flow. The small seeds stick inside the rice hulls and makes the application work really well.
Good idea. I wish I had thought of this when I bought. They should have tried to upsell me at least.

I'll look for some.

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Sawdust is often used as a carrier for broadcasting or in seed boxes.
it would be good if you could time the broadcasting just before a fresh snow. I would shy away if high winds are in the forecast.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Good idea. I wish I had thought of this when I bought. They should have tried to upsell me at least.

I'll look for some.
I know that you can order it from granite seed company or Arkansas Valley seed company.