Breaking L6060 Stabilizer Brackets

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Anyone breaking the bracket that attaches the stabilizer bars to the lower lift arms on L6060 tractors?

Bracket is a weldment with welded-on threaded stud to attack bracket to lift arm. Stud is held to lift arm with interference nut and lock washer.

Left side bracket broke within warranty and was replaced without charge. Suspected defective steel but no way to know. Right side bracket broke shortly after bumper to bumper warranty expired. Cost of replace bracket is around $50. OK, probably not defective steel in single bracket.

After second bracket broke I installed limiter chains to prevent lift arms from contacting tires, allowing me to finish mowing projects before visiting dealer to order new bracket that was not stocked. I also established practice of always putting 15/16" wrench on both L & R interference nuts and pulling with all available force to assure tightness before each mowing project. Been doing such things for many years and well know that flexing of loose fasteners can cause work hardening of steel resulting in stress fractures.

Right side bracket failed again this weekend. Because I have learned to watch/listen carefully to hitch mechanism (helps as it's a ROPS model), I heard it break and immediately stopped to inspect. Finished mowing project carefully after removing detachable part of stabilizer bar to prevent loss if bolt attaching bar to ROPS structure failed (his too has happened, and I keep a spare Kubota bolt, nut and washer in the toolbox), while watching limiter chains and left side bracket like a hawk.

Again, local dealer (one of three stores in dealership) did not have bracket in stock but another store, about 40 miles away, had two, even though Kubota Ohio parts warehouse had none.

This tells me that I am not the only owner breaking this bracket and that design is marginal at best. All studs broke at first thread of mounting stud, the weakest place.

Yes, mower is heavy, right at weight limit of rotary mower in Operator's Manual, but I've been doing this for a LONG time and do not hit obstacles with mower.

I now have 2 brackets with broken studs, and have a solution to avoid spending $50+ each time a bracket breaks but will need to find a good welder/fabricator (with available time) to modify my broken brackets. I am not a welder.

Anyone else breaking these brackets?

SDT

Last edited:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I have not personally broken any on your L series tractor.

I've broken them on some other tractors. What I found was that the tailwheel was digging in. In a turn it would put a ton of stress on the sway arms which would break the bolts either in the lower lift arm or at the tractor end. The fix was to lift the cutter slightly in a tight turn. Take the weight off of the tailwheel. I was too lazy and cheap to replace the tailwheel that was bent and binding.

can't say that is your issue, but now you have a free bump to the top ;)

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I have not personally broken any on your L series tractor.

I've broken them on some other tractors. What I found was that the tailwheel was digging in. In a turn it would put a ton of stress on the sway arms which would break the bolts either in the lower lift arm or at the tractor end. The fix was to lift the cutter slightly in a tight turn. Take the weight off of the tailwheel. I was too lazy and cheap to replace the tailwheel that was bent and binding.

can't say that is your issue, but now you have a free bump to the top ;)
Thanks, LB.

Not my problem but appreciate the bump.

SDT

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
SDT - I think there’s a very recent thread with the same issue. Maybe within a week?

I’m guessing some, but sounds familiar.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
SDT - I think there’s a very recent thread with the same issue. Maybe within a week?

I’m guessing some, but sounds familiar.
If so, I've missed it.

SDT

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Here is a link to that thread

Reactions: 1 user

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Here is a link to that thread

That's my earlier thread.

SDT

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Oh, gotcha....I remembered the issue, but not the detail/ originator, etc.

Sorry about that...
No problem.

The intent of the earlier thread was mower sizing. I had forgotten that I had included a comment about breaking the (third) stabilizer bar mounting bracket.

The intend of this, second thread is to learn if others are also breaking this bracket but it appears that I'm striking out.

SDT