brand new tractor, warranty repair; waiting 4 weeks, still hasn't been picked up

hotnoob

Equipment
L3301 + LA525 Loader
Mar 28, 2020
Ste Rose, Manitoba, Canaddad
so, my tractor L3301 at the 77 hour mark ( 2-3 months old ) developed a bad hydraulic oil leak dead smack in the middle of the tractor, right in between the transmission and the engine.

i don't have a workshop built yet so i couldn't fix it if i wanted to, and this happened right in the middle of digging a water line.
the dealership keeps dicking me around; i've called in every week and every time they say they will pick it up that week; they also say they are "busy"

the water line is right next to where i am living ( good thing i was cautious and did the last 8 feet by hand ), but it is starting to cave in.... if it gets to close my "home" will collapse.

thought the kubota warranty was supposed to come with 0 down time...
what can i do to get my tractor fixed? winter is also coming, and i loose road access in the winter.

i am also stuck with out of province plates, because government is slow AF right now, so i can't even buy a trailer and just dump it off at the dealership.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Been driving on expired plates for 2 months now and an expired CCW for 3. Called the MSP and inquired and was told by the Sargent thjat answered the phone that he had been driving a State Police cruiser for 2 months on an expired drivers license too.

Nothing new there with that.

Far as your trench, I think I'd go and rent a machine and finish it. Sure you have a Sun Belt equipment rental or Black Swamp rental yard or Herc Rental near where you live, just rent a machine for a day and finish it.

So it cost you a couple hundred bucks. Big deal.

Me, I have no use for a backhoe (I presume you have one on your Kubota). I find them to be a basically useless but expensive implement. Much cheaper to rent a machine for a project. I tend to rent mini- excavators. A mini-ex will outdig any tractor mounted backhoe, hands down.

Far as your dealer is concerned, they might be very busy, especially if their major business is ag related. This is farm time and unlike you, farmers have priority. They spend way more on parts and service and need it now, you don't.

...and it will be a warranty / flat rate repair so you aren't prime time anyway.

I'm sure they will be along when they get free time. I suspect they don't have any right now.

In the meantime, go rent a machine,. finish the job and move on. Adults don't whine. It's not a mature thing to do.

Reactions: 1 users

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Whether you had a shop or not you do NOT want to undertake a repair on your own. It would probably void the warranty. If your ditch is caving you may well want to follow Flip's advice.

Reactions: 1 user

hotnoob

Equipment
L3301 + LA525 Loader
Mar 28, 2020
need a valid drivers license to get a rental. never mind that it's 2 hours away.

trench is 100ft 8ft deep; i used the bucket, dont got a backhoe and the backhoe cant go that deep anyways.

canada has harsh winters.

also, i bet i have more land than you; how do you want to measure our dicks?

Reactions: 4 users

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
need a valid drivers license to get a rental. never mind that it's 2 hours away.

trench is 100ft 8ft deep; i used the bucket, dont got a backhoe and the backhoe cant go that deep anyways.

canada has harsh winters.

also, i bet i have more land than you; how do you want to measure our dicks?
I have 350 acres here and an additional 50 in Northern Michigan. It gets farmed.... by me.

Backhoes can go much deeper than 8 feet btw.

What you posses for junk I don't care about.

Go rent a machine and quit whining. Your hole is gonna cave in while you procrastinate. :rolleyes:

Think I would have planned ahead and rented a mini -ex in the first place. A 100 foot long, 8 foot deep bucket width trench is insane in the first place. Not only insane but real hard on a front end loader on any tractor.

I see your issue now. Digging to China and the tractor gave out and now the trench is caving in. Understandable. What a trench box is for.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Whether you had a shop or not you do NOT want to undertake a repair on your own. It would probably void the warranty. If your ditch is caving you may well want to follow Flip's advice.

Little bigger than a ditch I'd say.................:rolleyes:

HermTDI

Equipment
Kubota GR2120
Jan 13, 2013
Richomnd, Maine us
so, my tractor L3301 at the 77 hour mark ( 2-3 months old ) developed a bad hydraulic oil leak dead smack in the middle of the tractor, right in between the transmission and the engine.

i don't have a workshop built yet so i couldn't fix it if i wanted to, and this happened right in the middle of digging a water line.
the dealership keeps dicking me around; i've called in every week and every time they say they will pick it up that week; they also say they are "busy"

the water line is right next to where i am living ( good thing i was cautious and did the last 8 feet by hand ), but it is starting to cave in.... if it gets to close my "home" will collapse.

thought the kubota warranty was supposed to come with 0 down time...
what can i do to get my tractor fixed? winter is also coming, and i loose road access in the winter.

i am also stuck with out of province plates, because government is slow AF right now, so i can't even buy a trailer and just dump it off at the dealership.
Remove the bucket and rent a trailer ...or hire a flat bed ...either way don't play games with the "stealership"...take the tractor to them.

hotnoob

Equipment
L3301 + LA525 Loader
Mar 28, 2020
I have 350 acres here and an additional 50 in Northern Michigan. It gets farmed.... by me...
so, i need 80 more acres to be considered a farmer / get priority?
come on now; that's just bad business.

anywho, didnt get a backhoe cause expensive, and known to break tractors.

manual of the tractor says it's perfectly fine to dig with the loader.

bx tractorjoe

Equipment
kubota l2501 upgraded from a bx23s john deere 670 husquarvana huv 4421 gxp
Jun 3, 2020
loxahatchee flordia
If it takes them weeks just to pick it up, getting it fixed will probably take longer.. your dealer should also rent excavators.. and being you bought from them they may let the expired i.d slid.. and also give them a reason $$$ to pick yours up when they drop the rental off..

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Whenever a ditch is dug the pipe or what ever is going into it should be in place and then backfilled ASAP. If one waits around and the ditch falls in digging it the second time becomes a much bigger problem.

Digging a 100' long x 8' deep slot in the ground is a pretty inefficient job for an L3301. But it gives you a lot of seat time and a lot of wear and tear on the tractor.

I didn't see a question in your post, but Flip gave you some good advise even though you didn't like it!

joe gargery

Equipment
Kubota L2501
Aug 14, 2020
Tyee
Why is whining getting such a bad rap? At my age it's one of the few pleasures left.

Palmettokat

Equipment
M6800, B2710, L6060, Volvo 5 ton excavator and implements.
Apr 21, 2020
South Carolina

If you told how long it has been down missed it. If my tractor was down would not care if lawn mower or commercial would want it fixed. I do understand the importance of the farmer or any commercial used machine but at same time they sold a machine with a promise by them and Kubota. They owe it to you to at least explain time lines and options. Hauling it to them might be just what make is it work for them. Ask them about using your tractor and it being safe to. Have you determine why type of leak it is? Engine or transmission?

You do have the ability to reach out to Kubota but that might well end any relationship with the dealer. Is there another local dealer who can do the repair?

L35

Equipment
L35/TL720/BT900/York rake/Valby chipper
Jun 13, 2010
CT
Never mind anything else I want to see a pic of this 8’ deep 100ft long trench!

Reactions: 2 users

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I might add, says in the caption 'brand new tractor'. After a 100 foot long, 8 foot deep, bucket width trench, it ain't new no more. It's flogged.

I'd like to see a picture of that excavation as well...... :D

hotnoob

Equipment
L3301 + LA525 Loader
Mar 28, 2020
u no... took a closer look at the leak...
the seam where it's coming from, has no seal what so ever on it.
but every other seam on the tractor has a seal on it...

just sayin...

hotnoob

Equipment
L3301 + LA525 Loader
Mar 28, 2020
20200816_165251_resized.jpg

der. i did the rest by hand;
decided gonna get a wheelbarrow and back fill behind the "shed" by hand.

as long as i get the tractor back and fixed by the end of September should be ok.

rentals gonna be $400/day, with a 4 hour drive.

• Wow

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I don't know why you are getting all the grief for using your tractor. I would assume you bought it to do tractor stuff with? That's why I bought mine.

I would get it to the dealer. He only needs a free minute to look at it. Right now at your place he needs to find a few hours and the guys to make it happen. Best case you know someone friend/family with a trailer to help you out? I have also seen many ads through the years on craigslist of guys that do LTL hauling.

Warranty work should be FCFS, it shouldn't matter if all you do is cut hay with it. Right now where it is sitting at your house, Kubota corporate would not have much to say about it. If it was sitting in the dealers yard, you could escalate it.