Brand new to farming/Tractors

PC2288

Equipment
Tractor
Oct 17, 2022
Bardstown KY
Just bought 61 acres a few years ago, building a cabin on it. I also purchased the tractor that came with the land. I’ve recently started using it and now it’s all I want to do. Love it! A friend of mine showed me the basics but I have a few questions.

when shifting from low, which is where I’ve been operating, do I need to have my foot on tHe brake when shifting to M or H? It doesn’t seem to want to shift and makes a loud cranking noise so I didn’t force the issue.

also when turning on the PTO, IT DOES the same thing, but ,y friend told me that’s normal, but I did want to verify. It’s such a loud noise that to me it doesn’t sound right.

the tractor I believe is a 2009 kubota B3200 or 2300 Again forgive me I am far from an expert and haven’t paid much attention to the details

thanks in advance. I haven’t locTed the owners manual yet, I know I should look there but since my farm is 25. minutes away or so, thought I’d start here tonight.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Welcome!
Assuming it is a hydrostatic trans, you should engage the clutch when shifting ranges. If it doesn't do it smoothly then keep it in N and depress the forward or reverse on the pedal a second or two. Then depress the clutch again and shift.
For the PTO, I can't say. I've not had any grinding shifting from engaged to released. There is the possibility the clutch linkage needs adjustment

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Just bought 61 acres a few years ago, building a cabin on it. I also purchased the tractor that came with the land. I’ve recently started using it and now it’s all I want to do. Love it! A friend of mine showed me the basics but I have a few questions.

when shifting from low, which is where I’ve been operating, do I need to have my foot on tHe brake when shifting to M or H? It doesn’t seem to want to shift and makes a loud cranking noise so I didn’t force the issue.

also when turning on the PTO, IT DOES the same thing, but ,y friend told me that’s normal, but I did want to verify. It’s such a loud noise that to me it doesn’t sound right.

the tractor I believe is a 2009 kubota B3200 or 2300 Again forgive me I am far from an expert and haven’t paid much attention to the details

thanks in advance. I haven’t locTed the owners manual yet, I know I should look there but since my farm is 25. minutes away or so, thought I’d start here tonight.
You need to get an operators manual for your tractor..... SOON!

Reactions: 2 users

PC2288

Equipment
Tractor
Oct 17, 2022
Bardstown KY
You need to get an operators manual for your tractor..... SOON!
I know, pretty sure it’s in the barn. I only have driven the tractor twice since I’ve learned but it’s a lot of fun, so I want to make sure I know it all before really getting into it.

PC2288

Equipment
Tractor
Oct 17, 2022
Bardstown KY
Welcome!
Assuming it is a hydrostatic trans, you should engage the clutch when shifting ranges. If it doesn't do it smoothly then keep it in N and depress the forward or reverse on the pedal a second or two. Then depress the clutch again and shift.
For the PTO, I can't say. I've not had any grinding shifting from engaged to released. There is the possibility the clutch linkage needs adjustment
Thank you!

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I know, pretty sure it’s in the barn. I only have driven the tractor twice since I’ve learned but it’s a lot of fun, so I want to make sure I know it all before really getting into it.
Strongly suggest getting an operators manual prior to operating it thrice.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
If you are online search b3200 for example. It will turn up a bunch of tractors with pictures on TractorHouse. If you decide that is what you have, then go to the Kubota website and search for operators manuals. They can be downloaded for free. That should get you started. Have fun!

Reactions: 1 users

Bark

Equipment
L4701/FM2560LA765/BB2560Pittsburgh disk Titan P forks
Feb 18, 2020
North CA
As has been said, read the Op manual before you go any further. Both the shifting and the PTO should probably be done at lowest RPM's. Letting it roll a little while going from low to med might be advised. Since it sounds like you really like the tractor you might want to do like sheepfarmer said.
Including to have fun.