Brand new RCR1860 wheel won't swivel

Mdkelley

Equipment
L3902, LP RCR1860, LP RTA1258, LP front 3rd function
May 26, 2022
Beaverton, mi
bought this new with my L3902 a couple weeks ago. The wheel swivels fine with no load, but it won't swivel and just digs ruts when turning. I adjusted the deck per the manual (front slightly lower than rear) but nothing seems to help. What I am doing wrong here?

Pawnee

Equipment
L2501
Jul 1, 2021
Ontario Canada
Time was, we would all call the dealer and get them to come out and make it right.
Nowadays, you'll have to figure out what's wrong and fix it yourself.

Could be incorrectly assembled, wrong part someplace ...
Since it's conveniently out in the open you should be able to see what's wrong when you put weight on it.

Otherwise, shoot a short video.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
bought this new with my L3902 a couple weeks ago. The wheel swivels fine with no load, but it won't swivel and just digs ruts when turning. I adjusted the deck per the manual (front slightly lower than rear) but nothing seems to help. What I am doing wrong here?
Classic symptom of bent pivot shaft resulting from backing wheel into obstacle.

Remove assembly and have shaft straightened or replace yoke.

If new, good luck convincing dealer that you did not cause the damage.

Reactions: 1 user

Mdkelley

Equipment
May 26, 2022
Beaverton, mi
It was probably damaged in shipping or assembly (or manufacturing defect) but I agree that the dealer may say I used it so my fault. Been like this since the first pass I made with it fresh off the dealer's trailer, forward motion only. I only back up with it lifted/raised. Unfortunately this isn't the only problem I have had so far with this brand new tractor and LP attachments. Good thing is it sounds like this may be an easy fix.

I will remove the pivot shaft and see if it appears bent. Not sure I will be able to straighten on my press, maybe it is a solid shaft and I can just turn the shaft down a bit on the lathe and sleeve it. The shaft is very loose in the mount so maybe that is causing binding. Just wondered if there was some adjustment I was overlooking.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I doubt it’s bent, but it could be. Lift it off the ground and see if it is easy to pivot. If it isn’t, then call the dealer and get a replacement or ask them if you should try to straighten it or bring it in. With the supply chain like it is, it could take a while to get a new one which argues for trying to straighten it yourself if that is the issue.

You shouldn’t have to deal with this type of issue, but from a practical point of view, I’m assuming you just want it to work.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
It was probably damaged in shipping or assembly (or manufacturing defect) but I agree that the dealer may say I used it so my fault. Been like this since the first pass I made with it fresh off the dealer's trailer, forward motion only. I only back up with it lifted/raised. Unfortunately this isn't the only problem I have had so far with this brand new tractor and LP attachments. Good thing is it sounds like this may be an easy fix.

I will remove the pivot shaft and see if it appears bent. Not sure I will be able to straighten on my press, maybe it is a solid shaft and I can just turn the shaft down a bit on the lathe and sleeve it. The shaft is very loose in the mount so maybe that is causing binding. Just wondered if there was some adjustment I was overlooking.
Don't turn it down.

Most are only marginally strong enough as designed.

It's not an adjustment. Either the shaft or the yoke is bent resulting in insufficient caster.

This is not an uncommon problem with such mowers and is almost always caused by backing into an obstacle.

Could have been done by dealer staff but good luck with any such claim.

SDT

Last edited:

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
A picture is worth a thousand words. I was wondering if there is a washer/bushing missing. When you set the weight down on the tail wheel can you see if there is a washer or bushing to keep the yoke from moving up against the bottom of the tube that holds the shaft? It would be easy to forget when you are assembling the unit.

Mdkelley

Equipment
May 26, 2022
Beaverton, mi
There are washers on top and bottom. I'm not sure if the dealer actually greased the rear wheel as someone suggested, it looks pretty clean/dry in there. I will pump it full of grease today and see if that is the cause. It spins really easily when the wheel is off the ground. Nothing looks bent but I didn't tear it apart.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
There are washers on top and bottom. I'm not sure if the dealer actually greased the rear wheel as someone suggested, it looks pretty clean/dry in there. I will pump it full of grease today and see if that is the cause. It spins really easily when the wheel is off the ground. Nothing looks bent but I didn't tear it apart.
The yoke could be bent. This is difficult if not impossible to determine visually.

Most (all?) such units are serviced as a welded assembly, i.e., shaft/yoke.

BTDT.

SDT

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
The fact that it spins easily with no load does give some hope that it's not bent. I'm interested to hear the outcome. I've been very lucky with Kubota and Land Pride implements and have a really good dealer just a few miles from my house.

When I picked up the M6060 a couple of weeks ago after having some upgrades added I was annoyed to see a deep scratch in the cover that acts as a shift gate for the gear stick. I pointed it out to the manager but didn't make a big deal of it. Last week he told me he had something for me whenever I could stop by. Turns out he got me a replacement cover/gate without my asking. It's a cheap part that I might make out of sheet metal at some point, but it's the thought that counts.

Reactions: 3 users

Mdkelley

Equipment
May 26, 2022
Beaverton, mi
The winner is:
When mine does it, it’s time to grease the tail shaft 🤷‍♂️
I guess dealer prep and equipment setup fee we pay for new equipment no longer covers any setup or prep! Bought a tiller and this cutter as a package with my new tractor/loader.

Looked like there was no grease in it as delivered with my tractor. Greased it up and added some gear oil to the gearbox to bring the level up to the dipstick mark (it had oil, I did check that prior to first use, just wasn't up to the "full" mark). Wheel swiveled as it should after that.

Checked the tiller I bought at the same time and topped off the gearbox and chain case fluids as well. I wish the dealer would have mentioned that when they went through everything about the tractor and equipment at delivery. The dealer is pretty backlogged and short staffed so I guess I can see how that could be overlooked. Probably why the user manual for both implements says to check the fluids before every use. Removes any responsibility from the dealer for that "dealer prep" stuff. Makes me wonder what they may have missed on my tractor during assembly/dealer prep...

Reactions: 1 users