Brand new implement rust and bent

Vince1230

Equipment
Bx2370
May 13, 2022
Honey Grove,Pa
So i purchased a landpride grapple from a Kubota dealer. SGC0548. When i unpacked from shipping crate there was a large chunk of paint missing and it was rusted. Also one of the lower tines is bent. I was unable to see this in crate. I sent an email with pictures to the saleman who replied he would speak to the warranty department on Monday. My question does this seem normal? Why warranty department when the damage happened in shipping or in their yard? The Sgc0548 was discontinued unsure when but was likely in yard awhile. Bent tine is on right when on tractor.

Attachments

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
The missing paint and rust is normal on anything that's been not properly prepped then power coated. It looks like something just lightly scraped the sharp corner of that tine. Over time all the powder coat will peel off as water gets in between bottom of paint and top of steel,turns steel into rust, expands the 'hole' ,more water gets in, more rust, bigger hole.
As for the bend,maybe it got dropped onto the skid while moving it around ? Depending on how long it's been in the yard ,could have been moved 2-5-10-20 times over the months or years. It can be bent back if careful,though it'll always be weaker than when new.

I understand your concern, heck it's 'brand new' and you paid 'full price' but it's going to look a LOT worse after 4-5 hours of using it. If the dealer's a good guy, he'll compensate you somehow.

Reactions: 1 user

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Kinda sucks, and you are the one that wants to bend the tines and knock off the paint. But FYI, if you dont have bent tine you aint usin it,, just so you know, thats going to happen

Reactions: 6 users

Geezer3d

Equipment
Kubota LX2610SU
Apr 22, 2021
Heart of the Catskills
I would ask the dealer to replace the entire grapple with another one if one is available. Since it is discontinued then you don't have access to a factory fresh one. It seems obvious that the damage occurred in the dealer's yard or in shipping, and the factory is not likely to warranty it. Other than that, you have to decide if you want to keep it or return it and buy something else.

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Is the bent tine the one with the blue arrow? You mentioned lower, on right side. Sometimes it is hard to tell with camera distortion.

I personally would be more concerned if any of the surrounding structures have been tweaked.

As others have mentioned, with use you're more than likely to bend a tine or two and for sure the paint will disappear with use.

I have the SGC0660 on my L2501 and have about 100 hours on the grapple. Knock on wood, no bent tines yet but the tine tips are void of any paint. My soil is very sandy and for the most part void of rocks.

Image.jpg

DSC02898.JPG

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Ask dealer for partial refund. Straighten it yourself. Remove rust, paint with black 'Appliance Epoxy' (which frankly will last longer than powder coat). Call it good.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Ask dealer for partial refund. Straighten it yourself. Remove rust, paint with black 'Appliance Epoxy' (which frankly will last longer than powder coat). Call it good.
Landpride.....disappointing !!
Not to beat a dead horse,......but EA would have never sold anything built like that!
$200-$300 adjustment....at least ??

Last edited:

Donystoy

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
I am just amazed that the tines are not re-enforced or gusseted like my Kioti grapple as well as brands I have seen from other members on this forum. I have used mine to lift tons of boulders etc. and have yet to bend anything. Even the gauge of the tines etc. seems lacking in my opinion. Paint issues I just fix myself as this will be ongoing after use.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Well, to me it’s not the end of the world, but you bought new (at new pricing) and not used, correct? If it were mine I’d want it replaced, discounted to used price or a free service. Good luck. ☕

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
This. It is a tool that if used will get some….patina….

Get some service credit or cash back and move on.

drumminj

Equipment
L4701, Mule 4010
Nov 4, 2021
TN
EA would have never sold anything built like that!
My EA pallet forks arrived with some rust and places where the powder coat was missing. I just shrugged it off -- as folks have said the paint is going to get beat up anyway with use.

Maybe your comment was sarcastic?

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
It sure seems to me that we all have a tendency to treat our tractors and implements ..when they’re sorta new…. as if they were Rolls Royce Phaetons….

We’re not taking these things to Sunday-School and Church…

I mean… a Scratch..? A spot of Rust…? A slightly-bent tine on a Grapple… for heaven’s sake…. Really..??

These things are designed/intended to be stored outdoors in the weather, and thrown against Rocks and Brush!

Reactions: 2 users

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
My EA pallet forks arrived with some rust and places where the powder coat was missing. I just shrugged it off -- as folks have said the paint is going to get beat up anyway with use.

Maybe your comment was sarcastic?
My comment was not sarcastic!
IMHO EA never did build a grapple as flimsy looking as that one.

Last edited by a moderator:

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
It sure seems to me that we all have a tendency to treat our tractors and implements ..when they’re sorta new…. as if they were Rolls Royce Phaetons….

We’re not taking these things to Sunday-School and Church…

I mean… a Scratch..? A spot of Rust…? A slightly-bent tine on a Grapple… for heaven’s sake…. Really..??

These things are designed/intended to be stored outdoors in the weather, and thrown against Rocks and Brush!
The ONLY things that I store outside are concrete blocks and pipe.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Is the bent tine the one with the blue arrow? You mentioned lower, on right side. Sometimes it is hard to tell with camera distortion.

I personally would be more concerned if any of the surrounding structures have been tweaked.

As others have mentioned, with use you're more than likely to bend a tine or two and for sure the paint will disappear with use.

I have the SGC0660 on my L2501 and have about 100 hours on the grapple. Knock on wood, no bent tines yet but the tine tips are void of any paint. My soil is very sandy and for the most part void of rocks.

View attachment 122197

View attachment 122198
Paint and strsighten it if you cant stand to look at it. Otherwisr put ot to work. It will see more scatches and bends pretty quickly.

Dan

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'll try and say this nicely...
It's a tractor implement that's meant to get used and scratched and scuffed and bent.
It's not a show peice!

Reactions: 5 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
The ONLY things that I store outside are concrete blocks and pipe.
I understand … I do the same thing…I take care of my tractor and store it indoors… and my shovels, axes, wheel barrows and power tools also.
When they were new I stored my disc-harrow, landplane, and tiller inside because I hadn’t used them yet… but when I used them and got the paint knocked off the working-parts… I realized outdoors isn’t going to hurt them. I’m not afraid to leave the bucket or the pallet-forks outdoors when it’s not on the loader. I believe the mfr’s created these things to be outdoors. I just felt that the minor issues being discussed on This grapple didn’t warrant taking the profit from the dealer.
Unless it was major damage…in which case I’d refuse to take delivery …. I‘d point out minor damage, have the dealer photo it for the record… to be protected against any claims of abuse should a true-warranty issue pop up later.
On this little ”ding”…. I’d get on down the road. Just sayin’…

Last edited:

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
I think the warranty people have to get involved because once the delivery is made the shipping company is off the hook. You javelin to note shipping damage before the driver leaves. It doesn't look like shipping damage anyway. There qouldnt be rust on damage from shipping.

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
I certainly would not worry about the minor imperfections. I have used my Land Pride SGC 0654 grapple for over three years, and it has held up extremely well. I have used it to pop out rocks, carry logs/brush/large rocks/smaller telephone poles and transport the remains of an old hog parlor (timbers, posts, metal roofing) that I tore down.

Like anything avoiding damage has more to do with the operator than the equipment. If you are regularly damaging your LP grapple (appropriate grapple for your machine), you are damaging your loader and your hydraulic system. All of this talk of some manufacturer's grapple being tougher is misplaced.

Last edited:

Vince1230

Equipment
Bx2370
May 13, 2022
Honey Grove,Pa
Thanks everyone. It was the first tine or outer tine. I get it will get damage from use but would rather be damage from me and not someone else. If i bought a new car or tractor i would not except a large scratch or dent. Just wanted to see if i was too picky or not.

Reactions: 2 users