Box Blade Sizing?

trackman23

Equipment
MX4800
Nov 22, 2023
NC
I am new here and new to the world of tractors. I am building a house on ~16 acres and have bought a Kubota MX4800 to help with all the chores from land clearing / grading to large scale gardening and everything in between. The house construction is moving along and I will need to start planning for some grading and clearing activities to start soon. I plan to buy a grapple and a box-blade for my MX4800 but wanted some sizing advice first.

For the box blade, should I get one slightly wider than the tractor (~6') so that it will cover up my tire marks or will a wide blade have too much drag and result in other issues?

once I sort out the sizing, i'll need to buy one...are there any good direct-to-consumer implement makers out there; especially in central North Carolina?

thanks!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Just slightly wider is probably best, though I've never used one. For 3 decades used a 6' read blade on 5' wide tractor for grading like driveways, house lawns, swayles, ditches and stuff and sigh, snow pushing.
To get grades 'right', it take 'seat time'. The more you do ,you'll learn what and how to do and get better at it.

As for buying, maybe check out local papers/dealers for USED equipment ?

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
I have a 6 footer on my L2800, you could handle 7'. Box blades are tanks and are hard to destroy.

One thing I would recommend, outfit your tractor with hydraulic top link and side link. It makes using (and learning to use) a box blade so much easier.

Reactions: 1 users

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
A 78" unit would be ideal IMO. Nothing less than 800lbs, heavier the better.
Even better, a unit that has hydraulic actuated scarifiers.
Thus one of the reasons to get 3 rear remotes. ;)

There are other grading implements that have more specialized uses.
A box blade is one of the best all-around grading implements though.

Reactions: 1 user

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
Welcome to ott.
I’d definitely go wider then your tractor and as mentioned above heavier is always better with a box blade. Hydraulic top link will also be a sweet upgrade over constantly adjusting it by hand.
Have fun with your new tractor and be safe and get ready to be looking for any excuse to get some seat time.

Sporto

Equipment
B2601-1, FDR1660, RTA1258, BB1560, LR1672, PFL1242, MK Martin Snow Blower
Mar 20, 2021
Manitoba Canada
I definitely agree with the hydraulic top link it was one of the best up grades I had done when it comes to using the box blade

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Heavier the better.
Keep in mind that the wider the blade is, the easier it is to grade/level large areas.
The narrower the blade is, the easier it will cut/reshape/move dirt.
In other words, if you are leveling a yard/homesite that is fairly level to start, go wide.
If you are cutting a road thru very uneven ground, or cutting a road into a hillside, go narrow.
Blade should be wide enough to cover your track at minimum.

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
To add to the "Tools", a piece of I-Beam with a shoe on each end and its own (floating) draft arms can be a multi-tool for grading and leveling.

animals45

Equipment
L3301l
Apr 22, 2021
Mabie CA
If ya live in snow country ya may want to check if you can install tire chains without wheel spacers . If ya need the spacers that will affect the overall width .I totally agree with the top & tilt kit , though my lottery ticket hasn't come through for mine yet . .
animals45

• Haha

trackman23

Equipment
MX4800
Nov 22, 2023
NC
it is getting expensive already :)...I'll need to add rear remotes to add a top and tilt kit but it does seem like useful functionality to have.

What brands of box blade have the best balance of cost / quality?

Thx!

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
it is getting expensive already :)...I'll need to add rear remotes to add a top and tilt kit but it does seem like useful functionality to have.

Thx!
You absolutely want at minimum a hydraulic top link, and a tilt function makes sense if you are adding remotes anyway.

Wider than the rear tires is wise I think, at least overall.

Everything else mentioned above are great additions but over the minimum needs. But great if you can afford it.

My limited experience is that a box blade cannot be replaced by a rear blade. They both have their advantages. That is what I learned having both.

Good luck, and chances are you will be happy with whatever you decide.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
I went with one that barely covers the tracks. Mostly because I also use it for ballast in the woods. Needed to stay maneuverable. Works well though. Graded the yard, installed a RAP driveway, spread topsoil. IMO, if you have the room, go 1 foot wider than the width of your wheelbase.
Everything Attachments is in Conover NC. Solid stuff.

bbxlr8

Equipment
L2501 w/R14s, LA525, BH77, SGC0660, CL 5' BB, CL PHD, WG24 + Ford 1210 60" mmm,
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
One of the major "musts" for my tractor was the ability to do major land reshaping & grading. BB was the first eye-opener need after the purchase for me. I thought I was going to get by and quickly discovered that there was no way in h3!! that was happening w/o a BB.

I am getting by (not ideal but it works) and truly see the need for at least a rear top link, but not in the cards now. I invested in a stump grinder instead this year and just jump off and take much more time to adjust the BB manually.

anomad

Equipment
YM2310D
Jun 10, 2021
Western North Carolina

Thx!
I've heard good things about Everything Attachments and they are located in central North Carolina. I'll be looking at a 6 foot box blade from them when I get a bigger tractor.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
For your MX, I recommend a 7’ box blade or an 8’ rear blade. You don’t want anything less than 7’ because that allows 6” overlap on both sides of your wheels.

KKBL

Equipment
L2501 HST QA 525 loader, 42" forks, brush hog, grader/box/back blades
Jan 5, 2022
Girard, PA
A land plane (grader blade) works great to level larger areas of soil or long driveways.
We use one with scarifiers along with box blade and back blade to maintain a 1/2 mile gravel drive.