Box Blade or Scrape Blade?

Kevin1

Equipment
Husqvarna MZT 52, BX2380,FEL, Box blade, Landscape Rake
Dec 15, 2017
New Bern, N.C.
I have no experience with either one, which is more versatile with the FEL? I will be moving mostly dirt on my lot. No grading of gravel.

prof.fate

Equipment
75 L175, 14 toro timesaver, Landpride boxblade, countyline auger
Nov 9, 2017
Beaver, PA
box blade:
can push forward and back, dig with teeth or not, move dirt, level like a grader, rear ballast for a FEL.

Scrape Blade - can be angled which is great for snow..maybe other things?

I have a box blade and use it a lot for many things.

I built a light duty scrape blade for snow - it can also go forwards and backwards and be turned around. cheaper and lighter than a box blade.

Easiest answer is to get both!

Like finish mower or brush hog...unless you only have a lawn, get both as you'll need them.

I'm flipping coins between tiller and plow/disk/harrow. I need the harrow for other work...might use the disk for other work too (have to read up and look at them to see if they'll do what I have in mind) and many say plow raw ground then till..or plow deep every few years then till.

So, well, i'll end up with all of them I'm sure.:D

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I have both. I use the box blade for dirt work. Grader blade gathers weeds spring, summer and fall. It gets installed in the winter to clean snow off the drive. :D

esloser

Equipment
working on BX1870-1
Oct 30, 2015
Millville, NJ
Love my box blade. I ordered it from Everything Attachments. They have a pretty good YouTube channel. I used it to level and grade my backyard after having a pool installed. It did a great job of leveling everything out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I have both. A Land Pride hydraulic angle rear blade and a box blade. The hydraulic angle blade is an ornament. I used it once grading my bush road and once to cut the snow base off my driveway in the spring.

All my road building, maintaining and dirt work has been done with the box blade and FEL.

I wouldn't call the others a "waste" of money, but there has been no dirt work that I couldn't do with just the FEL #1 and box blade #2.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I have used my box blade for several tasks. I have graded my driveway with it. I have turned the soil over in my wife's garden with it. I have also graded rocks out of my yard and leveled the area around my house with it. The box blade is without a doubt one of the most versatile implements that you can get. I don't regret buying it for even one moment.

brimar

Equipment
bx 1870 48" mmm fel
Oct 5, 2014
lancaster PA
If I only had one implement it would be the box blade. I wish I would have gotten a landscape rake instead of scraper blade.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I must have too much "stuff". I have a box blade I bought from a contractor who used it for preparing/planting grass after pipeline construction 12/14 years ago.

I've never hooked it to a tractor except to unload, then loaded it to let a friend use it. Bought it because it was available.:D

David Page

Equipment
1974 L260, 6" bush hog, subsoiler, spring tooth harrow, boom pole, 2 bottom plow
Jun 25, 2013
Dexter, ME
I must have too much "stuff". I have a box blade I bought from a contractor who used it for preparing/planting grass after pipeline construction 12/14 years ago.

I've never hooked it to a tractor except to unload, then loaded it to let a friend use it. Bought it because it was available.:D
If you move to Maine let us know, we too could use friends with too much stuff.

Kevin1

Equipment
Dec 15, 2017
New Bern, N.C.
Box blade, hands down. You can drag dirt from one area to the next. Rear blade is better at shaping dirt.

If you have snow, scrape blade works well... Oops just saw you are just down the road from me... forget about the snow comment!!!
Think I might need one tomorrow morning:)

biohazard

Equipment
2017 Kubota B2650 HSDC
Dec 30, 2017
Minnesota
I have both, I use the scraper blade for snow mainly and the box blade for maintaining my 700' gravel driveway.

The scraper I would find basically useless for the driveway unless it was just box bladed, but works great at pushing snow.

anavidi

Equipment
B2601
Nov 28, 2017
POWAY
Technically the box blade gets more use than the FEL since whenever I use the FEL the box blade is being used as rear ballast. I've only taken it off the tractor once when I got stuck in deep mud.

However I use the box blade a ton. Scraping weeds, leveling, moving dirt, grading, pushing dirt around in reverse, break up hard packed soil, and the list goes on...

Kevin1

Equipment
Dec 15, 2017
New Bern, N.C.
Technically the box blade gets more use than the FEL since whenever I use the FEL the box blade is being used as rear ballast. I've only taken it off the tractor once when I got stuck in deep mud.

However I use the box blade a ton. Scraping weeds, leveling, moving dirt, grading, pushing dirt around in reverse, break up hard packed soil, and the list goes on...
Thanks for all the great input. I decided to go with the Land Pride BB1248 box blade. Seems a little more robust and offers good weight for ballast. I am also loading the rear tires.

Ezlife45

Equipment
B2650
Jun 5, 2014
Louisiana
Go box and may I recommend that weight is your friend. with a BX maybe a 4' but possibly a 5' box. I wish my B2650 would have come with a 5' box. I have a 54" bucket but a 4' box.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Thanks for all the great input. I decided to go with the Land Pride BB1248 box blade. Seems a little more robust and offers good weight for ballast. I am also loading the rear tires.

I have a B3200 and ended up loading the rear tires. I was unable to get to a dealer that handled beet juice so I used washer fluid rated to -20 in mine. Bought a small pump from Amazon along with some 1/4" ID poly tubing and let the fun begin. I used close to 46 gal of the stuff. What I didn't use went to the cars. Long process with lots of stopping to let the pressure out but when it was all done, I had around 70 bucks total and 6hrs of my time invested. Bought my fluid at Rural King who gave me the best price on volume. I'm much happier using the FEL now. I can dig in and get a good bite of the clay around here without spinning the rear wheels. The tractor is less bouncy IMHO as well.

gregb46

May 11, 2017
Hampstead, MD
I have both. Box blade is on about 95% of the time and you can use it to move snow as well if you are in an area that doesn't get a lot. I just moved 2 inches of snow off my 400 ft driveway with a box blade because I was too lazy to switch blades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk