Box blade or rear blade?

OntheRidge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB, Homestead 55" grapple, LP 1684 rear blade, WR Long 84" snowplow
Nov 1, 2020
I am trying to decide which of these I should get. I will be regrading my yard (About 1/2 to 3/4 acre) plus putting down topsoil. It seems the box blade is better for that, but, I would like to be able to use implement for snow removal also. Can a box blade be used for snow? Is a 6 ft blade too much for an L2501? Thanks to all in advance, Happy Spring!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Box is better to "level" out and dig out materials ............. will allow a somewhat level surface.
Box is better than nothing for snow - but in reverse, it simply will push it into piles, short runs back and forth.

Rear blade is much better for snow, it can pitch the snow to one side or another, thus longer straight line movements - somewhat ok for dirt leveling but cannot do what box will do.

Check your local CL and MP and you should be able to pick up both for the cost of a new box blade.
6' box will be a lot on the rear if you are really getting into the soil - a 6' rear blade will be perfect.

Reactions: 2 users

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
Watch Craig's List and try to buy both... My L2800 uses 6 foot on both. I'm sometimes limited with what the box blade can carry. Helps if I'm heading down hill!!

With heavy snow, the blade will push my tractor's butt sideways!

Reactions: 1 user

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
20210220_085236.jpg

Yes, box blade can be used for snow removal, that is what I used above. Rear blade would been nicer, but it was in the other barn and BB was on the tractor. The dirt work, you will want the box blade.

Reactions: 2 users

buffumjr

Equipment
L175
Mar 30, 2019
Orange City, FL USA
If you have an angle grinder, a welder, and a drill press, you can make a 5' box blade for under $200. On CL the box blades go for $500. I use both to maintain our road. The County won't. The box blade's scarifiers break up the old surface and the box blade levels the small potholes. The blade helps in maintaining grade and the ditch. I'm adding a front loader to move dirt to fill the way bigger potholes.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I have a BushHog 70 06 which is a beast, but at times I also could use a box blade for actually moving material. LINK

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
on the ridge, if you are really wanting to do dirt work for a yard, then either of the 2 will work for rough in. However if you want to do a good job, you might want to look into a dirt plain, or land leveler for the yard.
This is ofcourse just one of many made, and if you have a gravel drive way it works well for filling in the holes and ruts. And you thought finding the right tool was going to be easy ,, lol

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
...However if you want to do a good job, you might want to look into a dirt plain, or land leveler for the yard....
I don't think that would work well for the snow removal he was also wanting to do (as stated in the OP).

The final smoothing of his yard can be done cheaper with a chain link fence section and tires thrown on it for weight...

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Nope it wouldnt do a thing for snow removal I was just addressing his comment about the land,, and were it me if he dont have much snow then a rear blade

River19

Equipment
B2601, RB1560, BB1260 and BX2830 blower
Sep 10, 2020
NH/VT NEK
I have both and for the dirt work, Box blade hands down if you need to really dig and level. I "could" do some of that with the RB and loader but the BB is really made for that.

The RB is the cat's ass from a snow perspective when combined with the blower, which is the setup I use. That being said, I don't rely on the RB to move anything more than ~3" of snow as the blower clears anything more than that.

As for width, I think the 6' for the 2501 is probably perfect as long as that covers your tire width.......for my B2601 I have the 60" implements and that would probably be too small on the 2501

Reactions: 1 users

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
If you are considering snow, I’d by the regular rear blade. It will be easier to push the snow off the road.

FrozenOrange

Equipment
L3901HST, B7100
May 8, 2017
North Pole Alaska
I find that my box blade is so much handier. I sold the rear blade since it wasn't being used.
I combine the box blade and FEL. I use the FEL at about 3" off the ground and push snow while the box is all the way down. Each pass I'm pushing and pulling snow. Just before I get to where I'm moving the snow I raise the box. I back over what it dropped and use the FEL to push that into the pile. Granted the push/pull method takes some power and traction because both are carrying material and not just sliding it to the side ( like the rear blade at an angle does).
For me it's been a box blade hands down for snow and dirt. Even using the rippers to break up hard packed snow.
IMG_20210320_131945_3.jpg

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
When it’s only 4” or so, I just use the rear blade at a 45 angle and push it off the sides in the drainage. The angle is great for 1400’ long driveways, a loader or box blade would be full too fast.
The best is a front blower and rear angle blade. Blow off most of it ( way off the road) then use the blade to scrape down to the ice road and put the remaining snow in a long line, you can come back with the blower and shoot it 25 feet away

OntheRidge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 1, 2020
So, I went with the box blade. Ordered a 6' box from Homestead Implements. It arrived today!! I have to say, it is an extremely well built piece of equipment, and best of all, Made in the USA. Box blade 3.jpg Box blade 2.jpg Box blade 1.jpg I got it installed and adjusted, spent about an hour in the yard. I love it!! Exactly what I needed. Thanks to all for the input!

Reactions: 4 users

bbxlr8

Equipment
L2501 w/R14s, LA525, BH77, SGC0660, CL 5' BB, CL PHD, WG24 + Ford 1210 60" mmm,
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
Looks great!! How did you settle on the Homestead Implements BB vs. LP or others (I looked at the Countyline TSC as well)?

I now have the same tractor set up as you (just delivered) and anticipate needing it mainly for the grading. I rolled in the grapple upfront as I have way more tree/brush and figured I could find one (BB) used. That is looking to be harder than I imagined...

OntheRidge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 1, 2020
Looks great!! How did you settle on the Homestead Implements BB vs. LP or others (I looked at the Countyline TSC as well)?

I now have the same tractor set up as you (just delivered) and anticipate needing it mainly for the grading. I rolled in the grapple upfront as I have way more tree/brush and figured I could find one (BB) used. That is looking to be harder than I imagined...
I also looked at all those brands, Homestead had a great looking product, free shipping to my house, and offered a Veterans discount. Very solidly built!

tractorX

Equipment
KUBOTA L2501 DT 5' BOX BLADE 42" FORKS PIRANHA TB 5' BUSH HOG 6' GRADER
Sep 27, 2013
Rock Spring GA.
IMG_0209.JPG

CL find for $350, i work the snot outta my 2501. i hiring out all the heavy work and do all the finish and maintenance with my tractor. box blade has seen the most usage up to this point of building and working the land. plus at 450# its cheap ballast. i prefer the 5', do a lotta work in the woods.
started grading for topsoil too. set the rippers deep for breaking ground. raise the rippers up a notch to remove and regrade dirt. bring topsoil in and finish grade (no rippers).

btw, nice box blade you got there!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

bbxlr8

Equipment
L2501 w/R14s, LA525, BH77, SGC0660, CL 5' BB, CL PHD, WG24 + Ford 1210 60" mmm,
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
CL find for $350, i work the snot outta my 2501. i hiring out all the heavy work and do all the finish and maintenance with my tractor. box blade has seen the most usage up to this point of building and working the land. plus at 450# its cheap ballast. i prefer the 5', do a lotta work in the woods.
started grading for topsoil too. set the rippers deep for breaking ground. raise the rippers up a notch to remove and regrade dirt. bring topsoil in and finish grade (no rippers).

btw, nice box blade you got there!
Great info & feedback all. I know they have to be out there and there and will have to be patient and quick when they come up. My 'theory" was that there is not much to mess up in buying older used - same w/pallet forks...

I already believe that BB will become a favorite as I have a lot of similar grading projects planned. I just had to draw the line somewhere and put my $ on the 3rd fxn & grapple first.:)