Box Blade or grading blade?

zoomy

Equipment
l5740,6' Brush mower, Bobcat 873,Marshal tree saw, 48" Pallet Forks, Bobcat T770
Feb 22, 2014
Mundelien, IL
I have a project coming up and need some advice. I finally finished clearing the last 400 feet along my drive and need to remove a lot of humps and dips, cut and fill and contour, and in the process remove or loosen thousands of small saplings that my wife and I lopped while clearing. Then seed with pasture hay seed. Total job is about 1.75 acres. In the past I always borrowed my brother inlays green Tractor and 5.5 foot box blade. Now that I have a L5740 I need to get a larger box blade. Also going to add Top N Tilt. Any advice on which box blade and ripper I should get? Also is there any advantage to a grading blade that are worth me considering buying one instead? Thanks

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
You'd be alot better off with a box blade for everything you want to do. I'd say you should be able to handle every bit of a 7 foot box. You'll want a beefy one that weights in around 800 pounds +

As far as brand really box from Landpride, Woods, Befco, Bush Hog will work. Price shop on this one.

zoomy

Equipment
l5740,6' Brush mower, Bobcat 873,Marshal tree saw, 48" Pallet Forks, Bobcat T770
Feb 22, 2014
Mundelien, IL
You'd be alot better off with a box blade for everything you want to do. I'd say you should be able to handle every bit of a 7 foot box. You'll want a beefy one that weights in around 800 pounds +

As far as brand really box from Landpride, Woods, Befco, Bush Hog will work. Price shop on this one.
Thanks, I will definetly make sure it's heavy duty even if they cost twice as much.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Luckly enough a grading box is something that can take a bit of abuse and still hold up and not wear out. Maybe look around Craigslist and see if you can pick up what you need for a savings.

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
Thanks, I will definetly make sure it's heavy duty even if they cost twice as much.
Something that is between 6' & 7' and a minimum of 1000lbs. Hydraulic rippers are always nice also. Something like this. If money is no problem, then you will find that a good rear blade is at times much better than a box blade.

These guys can set you up with your "T&T" set.

Good luck with your shopping. ;)

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I vote for a heavy duty rear blade, with swing, rotate and tilt. Get a rear gauge wheel option for it, and it works like a road grader - it will take off the high spots and fill in the lows. It will also ditch and plow snow.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Rear blade will be useless as tits on a boar hog for trying to remove tiny saplings. The blade with just skim over top and not tear them out like the scarifier teeth of a box will.

Tenn Bota

Equipment
L3800DT, Kodiak 6' MD Rotary Cutter, JD 5" Disk Harrow
Feb 10, 2014
Greenback, TN., USA
I have been also on the fence about a BB or a GB. Most people are steering me to a BB. I will be maintaining short gravel driveway and food plotting.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Along the same lines as MtnViewRanch; knows a lot more than I, I have a 5740 and M8540 and use an HR3584; HRL3578 would work well too. I would love the blade he mentioned, but don't use one much and there is that old $$$$ thing.

A box scraper works best for our needs, but we also have a 10' drag scraper and mechanical rear blade we use occasionally. If we had to have only one, it would be the box scraper; lot depends on the tasks, operator etc.

rdeist

Equipment
Bx23TLB
Feb 13, 2014
Bend, Oregon USA
I have added a winged attachment to my blade that is easily removed to go from box to blade. A couple of square feet of 1/8" plate and a length of pipe
for the crossbar. I put angle steel on the bottom for skids to keep the wings
from digging in. Unit works quite well. Mounted using lower scraper holes on both ends, and two 1/2" holes drilled into the top of blade corners.
Also made were quick attach units to the arms. They seem to be holding up.
I do fabrication work. Semi retired construction millwright. I have other pictures of a jib type crane arm that fits front and back of tracter. Bucket attached snow plow. Note trailer hitch on rear of blade frame.

Ripper arms could be added if needed. I have not found the need.
I am a new member and this is my first post. Hope this helps.

Attachments

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Now that is pretty slick, ya mind if I ahhuummm borrow your idea for mine?:D

rdeist

Equipment
Bx23TLB
Feb 13, 2014
Bend, Oregon USA
Now that is pretty slick, ya mind if I ahhuummm borrow your idea for mine?:D
Thats the reason that I posted the info here. I have gotten a lot of good ideas and information from the people on this site. A bit of pay back was in order.
Richard

live_roll

Equipment
M108 / BX 25 / RTV 900 / ZD331 / M7060 / B1200 Mx5100 Ford 1500
Dec 16, 2009
Irricana Alberta
@ rdeist, very innovative!! and relatively simple mod, making it the best of both worlds! Probably a 15 minute change over. I noticed your quick hitch, interesting, I have a couple sets of Pat's, and I did purchase another set kind of similar to the ones you have, but they just couldn't quite handle the wear and tear on the M108, and have since transferred them over to my 3 point plate I have on the front of my loader basically for transporting a second implement, then is just a quick swap-out once on site.

like the idea of the threaded rod spreader. Pats also had a simple little expandable unit with a central knob to lock the width,,, I think mine is somewhere out in the pasture.... it will probably show up in a tire at haying time.....lol Would love to see more pics of your mods!!

Thanks!!

Cheers

Roger

SLIMSHADIE

Equipment
Kubota BX25D
Apr 10, 2013
Eureka,IL
Pats expandable rod is ok. Mine is bent from hitting implements, too close. But know with Hodges stiff stabilizers, I don't use that expandable rod anymore!!

rdeist

Equipment
Bx23TLB
Feb 13, 2014
Bend, Oregon USA
@ rdeist, very innovative!! and relatively simple mod, making it the best of both worlds! Probably a 15 minute change over. I noticed your quick hitch, interesting, I have a couple sets of Pat's, and I did purchase another set kind of similar to the ones you have, but they just couldn't quite handle the wear and tear on the M108, and have since transferred them over to my 3 point plate I have on the front of my loader basically for transporting a second implement, then is just a quick swap-out once on site.

like the idea of the threaded rod spreader. Pats also had a simple little expandable unit with a central knob to lock the width,,, I think mine is somewhere out in the pasture.... it will probably show up in a tire at haying time.....lol Would love to see more pics of your mods!!

Thanks!!

Cheers

Roger
Here is a set of pictures. I only have a BX23, but it gets a workout on snow and rocks in our area. Its a workhorse.

Attachments

rdeist

Equipment
Bx23TLB
Feb 13, 2014
Bend, Oregon USA
Here is a set of pictures. I only have a BX23, but it gets a workout on snow and rocks in our area. Its a workhorse.
This is the second half. Pic's show light/mirror mount, rock rake, bucket guard, snow plow, storage hooks, storage container on backblade. Items were made for convienience in field. So far all have held up to rough use.

Attachments