Box Blade behind B6200

capekubota

Jan 11, 2017
canada
I have a few areas in my backyard where I want to fill and level. I estimate it will take 2-3 tandem loads of good quality fill. I do not have a loader on my B6200 4x4.

I am wondering if a box blade or rear grader blade would be enough to spread the fill from the piles dumped by the tandem trucks. I doubt they will have much room to spread the dirt themselves.

Will a box blade be able to cut into a mound of dirt left by a dump truck?

JackJ

Equipment
BX1870-1
Mar 14, 2016
Indiana
A box blade will cut into the piles no problem, but make sure the dirt doesn't get piled high, otherwise you might just be cutting around the edges. And remember that you can use a BB to push (within reason) as well as pull. If you haven't used one before, you might find the learning curve steeper than you expect--I sure did, and I've still got a long ways to go. I believe there are some good YouTube tutorials out there.

Transporting the dirt any significant distance can get tricky, so try to get the trucks to dump with as much precision as you can, as flat as possible, and leave yourself plenty of time.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I can do a load of stone much faster and better with a BB than a FEL...done several last 3 years with a BX.

Lengthen the top link so leading (front) blade is off the ground a little.

Back up onto the pile, drop the BB and go!!

It's kinda fun!

AndyM

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25DTLB
Sep 21, 2016
Vancouver Island Canada
Done a fair bit of box blade work (given I am still a novice) and can atest to the learning curve. Works well when you get it right but one bad pass on a curve and it's back to the beginning. Still trying to figure the pushing back part.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Since you doing you entire yard area, try to have the truckers put the material in various piles. Even if they have to dump in one area, have them back in and dump some, then pull up and dump some, and continue on like this. Have multiple smaller piles rather that large piles.

Either implement will do it. Just takes time!

If I didn't have one of, or either of the implements, I'd look for them used and get both of them. Experiment with them to see which one you prefer. When you're done you can sell them if you choose.

capekubota

Jan 11, 2017
canada
Thanks all....I was worried that I wouldn't be able to back into a pile of dirt 3 or 4' tall. Sounds like I can do it. Sounds fun too!

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Cape -

As Jack mentioned earlier, some of the trick with a BB is top link length.

Short makes the leading blade aggressive to dig...long allows leveling/smoothing, more on the back blade.

I have a simple aftermarket top link I got from a local tractor dealer for $25 or so...I think it's a 11 or 13" barrel.

TSC's top links are too long for my BX, and I frankly don't care for the factory Kubota version. Given you have a B, a longer link may be fine. You want enough travel to tilt the BB as needed fore/aft.

The other trick is lift arm control. My BX has a "Quarter-inching" deal without position control. Not sure what your B6200 has, but it'll work.

It takes a little practice. But for that type of work, I really do prefer my BB over the FEL.

Last edited: