Box blade as a dozer

swpflipper

Equipment
MX5400 HST, LA1065 FEL, HR2572 box blade - S30 flip Screen
Nov 3, 2020
Arizona
Do you guys ever use your box blade as a dozer to push dirt?
I did it yesterday to make a been and it worked well. I ripped the ground to loosen it then backed up to make a berm about 8 to 10 inches high.
I did 10 building pads like this so they could be soaked.
Am I setting myself up for damages?

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I did it yesterday to make a been and it worked well. I ripped the ground to loosen it then backed up to make a berm about 8 to 10 inches high.
Nope not at all, that's what box blades and your three point hitch are designed to do.
Hence the reason they have blades on the rear to push.
The only time your going to do damage is if you set it too deep and hit something real solid, going too fast.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Gotta agree with North Idaho Wolfman. Even a light duty BB is great for pushing loose dirt, and due to the nature of having two curled blades mounted back to back, it's pretty darned rigid. You're probably going to either stall the tractor or make it spin if you push too much. If you're going so fast that you break something, maybe that's a different problem altogether. If you're going to be using it in a lot of rough places, there are at least 3 different grades of BB that I've seen. General use, Commercial Use, and heavy duty. As I said, the general use will typically stop your tractor if you hit something it can't move. The heavier grades will too, obviously. The advantage of the heavier blades is the weight. They'll tear up soil faster. With any box blade, though patience is a virtue. The 3-point lift links are generally pointed down when the BB is all the way down, i.e. the pins on the BB are lower than the pins on the tractor. This will cause the rear of the tractor to lift as load increases on the blade. Geometry works.

I've dragged (forward) out 4 inch diameter roots and small stumps with the rippers on my little LandPride 1248, but a small mound of packed clay made my LX2610 (with ballast in the tires) stop and spin quite easily when I was pushing (reverse). The only damage to it so far is where I was silly enough to put a clevis in one of the holes on the top of the box and pull on something with a chain. Very minor cosmetic damage, but I still felt pretty stupid after I did it. I won't be doing that again. Obviously, if the dirt is wet, it's a lot heavier, and much harder to move. You might be better off moving it with the FEL. That's a pretty big tractor you have, so I can't see much getting in it's way.

JoeBabbs

Equipment
L3800, FEL, BH, box blade, front tine bucket, hydraulic front angle blade
Jan 20, 2020
Ithaca, NY USA

I've used my BB that way. It works well.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Nope not at all, that's what box blades and your three point hitch are designed to do.
Hence the reason they have blades on the rear to push.
The only time your going to do damage is if you set it too deep and hit something real solid, going too fast.
Curious, but somewhere, somehow I came to believe that the 3PH was designed to pull, rather than push.

With this in mind, I do push sometimes but I am always concerned that I might be risking something...

Like anything else, I suppose there is a fine line between use and abuse. If pushing I try my best not to cross the abuse line.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Curious, but somewhere, somehow I came to believe that the 3PH was designed to pull, rather than push.

With this in mind, I do push sometimes but I am always concerned that I might be risking something...

Like anything else, I suppose there is a fine line between use and abuse. If pushing I try my best not to cross the abuse line.
If set up properly, it will pop up if it hit's a force that is too great for it to take.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: Curious, but somewhere, somehow I came to believe that the 3PH was designed to pull, rather than push.
in the good old days you could buy a 3PH 'dirt bucket' worked either push or pull. Dang thing sare GREAT for making ditches and berms !!

Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
re: Curious, but somewhere, somehow I came to believe that the 3PH was designed to pull, rather than push.
in the good old days you could buy a 3PH 'dirt bucket' worked either push or pull. Dang thing sare GREAT for making ditches and berms !!
I have one of those. Very useful at times. Agree totally.

Actually, I am pretty sure I do. The one I have I believe I have always used in the push mode, backing into a pile then carting off what I grabbed. But I remember thinking I could reverse the orientation if I wanted...

swpflipper

Equipment
MX5400 HST, LA1065 FEL, HR2572 box blade - S30 flip Screen
Nov 3, 2020
Arizona
I wanted to thank you for putting me at ease. The box blade manual indicated it can be used that way. I was just unsure if I needed to watch out for any damage to the 3 point.
I do take it slowly and it all seems to work well. I have seen other trades doing it with their Massey "grader special" tractors. And I know some employee operator may do what is easier, not better.

doublebass73

Equipment
L2501F, 68" Pull Type Snowblower, Spreader, Dirt Scoop
Oct 7, 2020
NH
I have one of those. Very useful at times. Agree totally.

Actually, I am pretty sure I do. The one I have I believe I have always used in the push mode, backing into a pile then carting off what I grabbed. But I remember thinking I could reverse the orientation if I wanted...
I have one of those too, mine is made by King Kutter and it's reversible. They're pretty handy. Along with moving dirt I use mine as a carryall to carry tools and firewood.

20201101_162130.jpg

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
Those dirt scoops are a godsend when you don't have a FEL, like I didn't until a month ago!

doublebass73

Equipment
Oct 7, 2020
NH
Those dirt scoops are a godsend when you don't have a FEL, like I didn't until a month ago!
Absolutely! I don't have a FEL so that's the next best thing. It does way more than I thought it would.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
I assume your BB has the rear-facing cutting edge? Doze away! My B1560 gets used dozing in reverse regularly.

David's 4701dt

Equipment
L4701 gear drive /kubota sidekick4m
Dec 27, 2020
Alabama

David's 4701dt

Equipment
L4701 gear drive /kubota sidekick4m
Dec 27, 2020
Alabama
No .but just remember box blades are mainly designed for pulling and going backwards puts more stress on it if your not careful with it could break .
But for short use it fine i do it myself but i try and to avoid pushing if can good luck

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
No .but just remember box blades are mainly designed for pulling and going backwards puts more stress on it if your not careful with it could break .
But for short use it fine i do it myself but i try and to avoid pushing if can good luck
I do not think the box blade is going to break. It looks to me like the risk of damage is bending the 3PH arms.

One would think the attachment point of the 3PH arms to the tractor would be equally strong when pulled backward or pushed forward, but do not know with any certainty.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I have one of those too, mine is made by King Kutter and it's reversible. They're pretty handy. Along with moving dirt I use mine as a carryall to carry tools and firewood.

View attachment 52578
That is the exact same dirt scoop as I have. Very good value for the price. Bought mine about 15 or more years ago. It is a little rusty now...Yours looks like new. Mine lives outside in the weather year round.

doublebass73

Equipment
Oct 7, 2020
NH
That is the exact same dirt scoop as I have. Very good value for the price. Bought mine about 15 or more years ago. It is a little rusty now...Yours looks like new. Mine lives outside in the weather year round.
Mine is only about a year old. It lives outside as well but I plan on building a small pole barn to store my implements next summer.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Mine is only about a year old. It lives outside as well but I plan on building a small pole barn to store my implements next summer.
When you build, build about three times bigger than you think you need. My shed is something like 28 feet square, and to comfortably store what I have, under roof, I think I would need probably 30 x 60 feet. Of course if I had that I would soon run out of space too... :oops: