Bought my first Kubota. Was it a mistake?

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I love it when a plan comes together! Congrats!

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
Glad everything worked out for you! Also you'll definitely get to use it for turkey season. As a note though, it might be a good idea to remove your name from any correspondence you post. Not because you'll get sued or anything but there are some weirdos and scammers out there that if they know your last name and some other details (i.e. where you bought your unit from) they might try something stupid like a fake cop call or something.

I doubt anyone on here would do that but better safe than having a swat team called on you for a "prank."

I am willing to bet my wife
You either really like your wife and are confident in your advice or must be trying to find a way to subtly get rid of her without looking like it was purposeful ;)

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Glad everything worked out for you! Also you'll definitely get to use it for turkey season. As a note though, it might be a good idea to remove your name from any correspondence you post. Not because you'll get sued or anything but there are some weirdos and scammers out there that if they know your last name and some other details (i.e. where you bought your unit from) they might try something stupid like a fake cop call or something.

I doubt anyone on here would do that but better safe than having a swat team called on you for a "prank."

You either really like your wife and are confident in your advice or must be trying to find a way to subtly get rid of her without looking like it was purposeful ;)
Or it could have been a typo..... The wife is a good woman, and a keeper, and yes, I was very confident in my advise in this instance. (y)

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
I’ll find out tomorrow as I’m going to call and talk to the store manager.

I still think it’s BS that Kubota can’t ship a complete transmission assembly From the factory. Should be as easy as pulling one off the assembly line, but what the hell do I know.
They were not scheduled to be building Side Kicks right now. Last year's RTV sales far exceeded expectations, so there is a shortage of units. There would be no assemblies to pull from the line.

Everyone is inexperienced until they have done the job for the first time. A few years ago at the Grapevine Texas training facility, we disassembled and reassembled side kick transmissions. It is a very simple, straightforward gearbox. Very few parts, nothing special about it.

Thousands of the Sidekicks have been sold in the last few years, how many of you have had or even heard of a problem with them other than the recall for the ECM?

We have a waiting list for them when they start production again. Should be any time now.

FTG-05

Equipment
L4330 w/FEL, RTV-XG850 and ZD326S
Jul 21, 2013
TN
If it were mine, I would tell them that I want a replacement machine, and they can send that one back to the factory or sell it to someone else, but you will not accept anything other than a new machine. If it is financed with Kubota, call them and tell them that you want them to replace the unit, or you will be filing a complaint with the states attorney general. That will get their attention.
Unless they are putting in ever part new, you have no idea if a part that isn't replaced might have been compromised, and that it will lead to a failure sometime in later years when the machine is out of warranty. I also don't believe that they don't build any spare complete units. They are just blowing smoke up you know where, and they think that they are getting away with it. If you don't fight for yourself, no one else will.
THIS!

There is no forking way I would accept the current plan. You bought a NEW machine; you deserve a NEW machine. Period.

catalyst

Equipment
BX80, RTV-XG850
Sep 30, 2018
St. Clair
THIS!

There is no forking way I would accept the current plan. You bought a NEW machine; you deserve a NEW machine. Period.
is there any word or symptoms as to how or why the old unit failed? was it making any noises or issues prior to failure?

zigzag3337

Equipment
Kubota RTV-XG850 Sidekick
Mar 7, 2021
Florida
is there any word or symptoms as to how or why the old unit failed? was it making any noises or issues prior to failure?
the service manager told me he was gonna send me pics as to what happened once they opened her up, but that never happened.
After the wife and I took it out on it’s maiden voyage (about 15 miles), I parked it in my barn. 2 days later I cranked it up, put it in reverse and it moved about 4’ and then popped. After that, I had no reverse. Just grinding gears. Went forward with no problems, just couldn’t back it up.

trainman605

Equipment
XG850 Sidekick
May 3, 2023
Ft. Worth, Texas
My first UTV was the JD 855, I think that was the number, after some 6 weeks of using it the trans would not go into gear very easy, I read on the JD Forum that this was a problem and the dealer would replace the transmission with upgraded parts as there was a service bulletin issued for this from JD. Took it back and they did the repairs and all works as it should for some three plus years before I purchased a Crew Polaris, never had any problems with it.
trainman