Bought my first Kubota. Was it a mistake?

zigzag3337

Equipment
Kubota RTV-XG850 Sidekick
Mar 7, 2021
Florida
Well after reading a lot of reviews about how dependable a Kubota is, I finally pulled the trigger and bought a ‘21 Sidekick RTV-XG850 special edition. The buying process was very easy, the dealer delivered it free of charge and it now it has 3.1 hrs on the machine with a bad transmission. Now I’m waiting for the dealer to replace the tranny. So far it’s been in the shop for a week, so there’s no telling when I’ll get it back.
After this ordeal, I’m just wondering if I bought a machine that I’m going to regret.
Pics were taken at the dealer right after they finally got it together.

Attachments

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
My UTV is a Ranger, but from hanging out in that forum, all brands have an occasional bad one.

I hope that your’s is sorted out pretty soon. Have you asked for a temporary loaner? Maybe that is possible.

zigzag3337

Equipment
Mar 7, 2021
Florida
I basically bought mine to use around my hunting property. Luckily, I have a Honda ATV as my backup, so I really don’t need a loaner. Everything that I’ve ever read about Kubota, they’re a top notch company that makes very reliable equipment. I understand that there’s always a chance of something breaking and it still sucks.
The unit had about 2.5 hrs on it when I went to back it out of the barn. It moved about 4’ and then POW. Now in reverse it just grinds. After the dealer diagnosed the problem, they’re replacing the transmission, which I rather them to do verses trying to fix the existing one.

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
I work at a new car dealership and got the pleasure of having to replace a transmission in a SUV that only had 7 miles on it! Nobody noticed that it only had first gear, since it was a new model no remanufactured transmissions were able. Had to wait 3 weeks for the manufacture to pull one off the assembly line and ship it to the dealership. So long story short, customer expect to drive home their new vehicle and had to wait a month, at least the customer got a loaner. So, yes a bad assembly/part failure does happen.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Its not much of an "ordeal" in my playbook. These things happen. If you needed a liver transplant that's an ordeal. When you are older and kicked around some you see things differently. Getting fussed up over little things will only make you lose your hair. Good luck and have fun.

Reactions: 1 users

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
It's always nice when its covered and the dealer bends over backwards, but I still always worry about having to tear into a brand new machine.

Sorry to hear OP, of course most folks only take the time to come online and post their problems and never the good stories so that's all we hear. Personally my brand new tractor came to me with a completely empty axle (no gear oil), glad I noticed after 35 hours, also have some grease zerks that were completely painted over by the factory.

Good luck, hope it turns out well for you.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
I kinda liked the way Saturn did it when they were an introductory line for GM. If your windshield washer pump quit within the first year of ownership, take the car back, and pick out a new one. They did not repair any car under warranty. They simply replaced it so they could have the entire vehicle back for failure analysis. Now THAT's the way to operate a warranty system. They had a huge section of their marshalling yard for returned vehicles. If it was a minor failure (electronics, etc), they would usually even use it for crash tests if it was a current model year. Otherwise, figure out what went wrong, shred it, and recycle. I used to like to go over to testing and watch 'em slam a brand new car off the assembly line into a concrete wall with steel plates on it. Very impressive.

I'd be a little perturbed to have a brand new vehicle that's had a major component of the drive line replaced. Hopefully your warranty time and payments stop until you get the vehicle back. Not sure I'd pay for something that I didn't have.

tradosaurus

Equipment
Kubota MX5400 HST, Land Pride RCR2660 , EA 60" Xtreme grapple, EA box blade
Mar 7, 2019
Texarkana, Tx, USA
I work at a new car dealership and got the pleasure of having to replace a transmission in a SUV that only had 7 miles on it! Nobody noticed that it only had first gear, since it was a new model no remanufactured transmissions were able. Had to wait 3 weeks for the manufacture to pull one off the assembly line and ship it to the dealership. So long story short, customer expect to drive home their new vehicle and had to wait a month, at least the customer got a loaner. So, yes a bad assembly/part failure does happen.
Been easier to give the customer a new vehicle.

zigzag3337

Equipment
Mar 7, 2021
Florida
When I dropped the machine off, the service manager was very surprised that there was a problem. He did tell me that when they first came out, they had a problem and several machines with the NGK plugs being over tighten when they where being built before Kubota found it. Ended up having to replace one motor due to the plug breaking off inside the cylinder while it was running and damaged it to the point it had to be replaced.
Before buying this machine, I searched high and low for someone talking about having any mechanical issues with a sidekick and couldn’t find any. I’m not dogging Kubota by no means and being in the elevator business, I understand having bad mechanical parts from the start. As long as they step up to the plate and take care of the issue, I’m fine with that. So far they’re doing just that, but it still sucks to spend $17K for a brand new machine only to have a major problem when it’s just a couple of hours into its servicing life.
I’ll keep ya posted on the outcome and hopefully I’ll be able to use it during turkey season this year.

TX Chris

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5400, BH92, RTV900, ZD326
Dec 14, 2020
Rowlett, TX
Well, the odds of the transmission going bad are low, but the odds of two going bad have to be significantly lower, so if you play the odds... you're good to go now!

zigzag3337

Equipment
Mar 7, 2021
Florida
Well, I stopped by the Kubota dealership today and now they’re telling me that Kubota doesn’t stock or build spare transmissions for the sidekick. The Southeast region Kubota rep drove seven hours to go over a game plan on my machine being that this will be the first one that has broke with only 3 hrs on it. Long story short, despite being told last week that a new transmission was already shipped, now I’m being told that Kubota sells every part inside the tranny, but not a complete one (which I find hard to believe). So they are now going to tear it apart and rebuild it (which I’m not a fan of). He did tell me that he’ll send me pics of what they find, so we will see. To add insult to injury, he also told me that they never broke one of these down, so that doesn’t make me feel warm and fuzzy.

I asked about the turn around time and was told depending on the shipping of the parts, I should have it back in a couple of weeks.

Just for a timeline:
Purchased: 2-19-21
Delivered: 2-25-21
Broke: 2-27-21
Went to dealership: 3-1-21
Determined bad trans: 3-2-21
Was told that they’re going to rebuild transmission: 3-8-21

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
:oops::oops::oops::oops:

Either you're taking this like a calm, cool, collected cucumber........or you are very good at hiding your rage. 😁

Being a small biz guy, I'm always ready to be very patient....but man. I uh, lost for words.......

Reactions: 1 user

bx tractorjoe

Equipment
kubota l2501 upgraded from a bx23s john deere 670 husquarvana huv 4421 gxp
Jun 3, 2020
loxahatchee flordia
Be glad you bought a new one and it's under warranty and won't cost you anything except time lost not be able to use it.. lots of people have bought used stuff to find out the engine, trans or etc is bad and is going to cost them the same ammout, or close to of money they could of bought a new one for..

I agree when something like that happens kubota should bite it and replace the whole unit with a new one....no one wants a brand new machine that has been torn apart by someone that's never torn one apart.. and you will probably have a bad feeling about it breaking again..

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
:oops::oops::oops::oops:

Either you're taking this like a calm, cool, collected cucumber........or you are very good at hiding your rage. 😁

Being a small biz guy, I'm always ready to be very patient....but man. I uh, lost for words.......
My gut tells me I would be demanding a replacement transmission or a refund. Would settle for another new RTV.

Not sure if that would be practical, but man this just smells bad. I could live with a replacement transmission, but a rebuild by someone inexperienced with rebuilding these transmissions? Don’t think I could live with that.

Reactions: 1 users

zigzag3337

Equipment
Mar 7, 2021
Florida
I was really hoping someone with Kubota would read these post and chime in with some solution ideas that we both could be happy with.

I’ve been patient and was okay with a replacement, but I’m not that excited about a rebuilt tranny on a new machine. Just doesn’t make me feel like I bought a new piece of equipment anymore.

if anyone else has dealt with Kubota on something similar, please chime in and let me know how your experience went and are you happy with the outcome. I would be very appreciated.

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
If it were mine, I would tell them that I want a replacement machine, and they can send that one back to the factory or sell it to someone else, but you will not accept anything other than a new machine. If it is financed with Kubota, call them and tell them that you want them to replace the unit, or you will be filing a complaint with the states attorney general. That will get their attention.
Unless they are putting in ever part new, you have no idea if a part that isn't replaced might have been compromised, and that it will lead to a failure sometime in later years when the machine is out of warranty. I also don't believe that they don't build any spare complete units. They are just blowing smoke up you know where, and they think that they are getting away with it. If you don't fight for yourself, no one else will.

Reactions: 5 users

bx tractorjoe

Equipment
kubota l2501 upgraded from a bx23s john deere 670 husquarvana huv 4421 gxp
Jun 3, 2020
loxahatchee flordia
I'm kinda thinking that dealer might be funky.. no way kubota can't send them a complete trans.. seems very dumb for kubota to pay a dealer for all that time to crack open a trans and rebuild it when they can have someone at the factory do it in 20 minutes..

I would get on the phone to kubota and tell them whats going on..

Reactions: 2 users

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I wouldnt accept a repair at such low hours. Replacement. Nothing less. I have no confidence in the techs as of late. My son was in a similar situation, on the wrench end. No one in shop wanted anything to do with a brand new transmission tear down and repair. So my son - the apprentice was saddled with the job. He managed to pull it off but not an easy task.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I SECOND the suggestions that you should demand and receive POST HASTE an entirely different NEW MACHINE. Their story that no new tranny is available and that you will retain a machine repaired by someone who has never done this particular model is completely UNACCEPTABLE.

New machine. NOW! (30-day Limits apply in some states...if they can put you off long enough you may lose your options.)