Bought my 1st Kubota.

Foxrunfarms

Equipment
Kubota LX2610, 1951 Farmall M, 1967 John Deere 110 Rf, 2010 Arctic Cat 700
Apr 25, 2023
WI
Yep.

When in rehab they brought in a teenager who broke his neck in a ATV accident. He could not move his body at all. He never will.

When we are faced with calamity we must do the best that we can.

Never forget that you are loved. Never forget that people need you.

It's hard to get 'normal' back. I thought that it was impossible. I did it by the grace of God. And love and support from family. You can too.

Your new Kubota waits for you.
That's the sad thing a kid.....who has his whole life in front of him. I'm in my mid 30's and a lot of people said that socks for me but again always someone worst. I feel like I accomplished a lot in life.......and other things should have put me 6ft under. I'm walking, can still enjoy my farm, tractors, and continue the family adventures.

Reactions: 3 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Hello,

My name is Tony. A little background on myself. I grew up on small WI dairy farm. I met my wife and we bought a 7 acre hobby farm that we've currently been living on for 3 years now.
View attachment 101414

We grow decorative corn, pumpkins, and haybales we sell along the road in the fall.
View attachment 101415
I also grow corn, soybeans, and sunflowers for food plots.
View attachment 101416
View attachment 101417
View attachment 101419
My dad and I collect and restore vintage John Deere tractors. These are mostly for leisure but do see some work around the average.
View attachment 101420
Our main tool is an arctic cat 700 tbx at. It would till the garden with a mini disc, plow snow, and is our " go for" vehicle running around.
View attachment 101421
I'm a foreman at tree and lawn care company and have access to dump trucks, skidloaders, and backhoes, to fill in the gap of anything we might need.

Unfortunately going on 2 years now when I was on a jobs site in conned off area, wearing a safety vest standing next to a skidloader trailer unchaining the loader a 16 year old wasn't paying attention, drove through the cones, up onto the trailer and came off running me over when I was jumping out of the way. I've spent 2 weeks in a trauma center and on surgery #3 now. I have some hardware in my right leg and limitations with it. Friends, family and neighbors really helped out around the property but a lot of responsibility has been put on my wife. Once I'm considered closed to being healed I'm looking at a different carreer that my body can handle better which means no access to equipment.

My wife decided it was time to look at tractors to make things easier for us. I wanted a bigger lawn mower and some sort of classic full size farm tractor with a loader to plow snow. She wanted an all purpose tractor for mowing, loader work, and tilling, something that was dependable and she was comfortable driving. So we decided on a compact. Kubota, John Deere and New Holland are all with in 10 minutes of our place. As you can tell from my collection I'm a JD guy so that was my 1st choice. The wife liked the 1025rs but I knew it was too small for our needs the bucket wasn't much bigger than a wheel barrel. I likes the 3033rs, but looked at a New Holland 30 and a few Kubotas. The wife really liked the Kubotas. A lx2610 caught our eye. I liked the 3310 but emissions and an extra 6k for 6 hp turned me away. We talked to a sales guy, we were able to get the tractor, a loader with 60 inch bucket, a 60 inch deck, quick hitch, and tiller for what just a base John Deere or New Holland would be plus 800 off the attachment combo and another 250 off for coming in during their demo days. We didn't get the tractor yet they need to find a mower deck yet.
View attachment 101422
The sales guy gave us a couple of hats, shirts, water bottle and 2 6 packs.
View attachment 101423
At the moment I'm checking out auctions for brush hogs, and rear blades.

We're really eager to put this tractor to use and see what it can all do for us. Hopefully this summer I'll be getting close to normal again, back to work, and be able to play around on this.....if the wife decides to share it.
Congratulations on a Kubota decision well made.
Hope your recovery continues to show improvement!

Reactions: 1 user

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Welcome to OTT and happy to see another Wisconsinite join the ranks of Kubota owners! I am located in Waupaca county (home) and Waushara county (land) in the central sands region.

Congrats on the tractor and implement purchase. I am confident it will perform beyond your expectations as my B7100hst and L2501hst have for me.

I suffered complete destruction of my spinal cord at the T12 level in 1979 which left me completely paralyzed from the hips down. I have led a great life, productive life, business, family, friends etc. The only reason I am bringing this up is that after reading a few of the comments folks should understand that after suffering a catastrophic injury that life is not necessarily over. When I was in rehab I met young kids around my age at the time , 22, that had broken necks at high levels that left them completely paralyzed, legs and arms/hands. I still have contact with a few of them after 45 some odd years later and many have gone on to achieve the same or better quality of life as I.

I know you and others do not need a pep talk or lecture and from your writings you will , with time and the support of your family/friends and God , find your way back to doing a job you love!

Enjoy that new tractor when it shows up! :)

Reactions: 5 users

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Just to share, I have (for the last year) a B2601. I bought it to run a mid mount mower. That’s really all I do with it and yes taking it off and installing the mower is a chore and it’s a drive over too. Well I did drag the gravel driveway once with the MMM on with the back blade. FWIW, the MMM will mow the pasture just fine once I knock it down the first time for the season with the brush hog on the L3830. I use the MMM to mow amongst the trees I have on shallower slopes and the access roads (dirt surface, so they grow grass, etc). I use my “big” tractor for everything else. FEL, pallet fork and grapple work, back blade, towing and brush hog. The brush hog on the L3830 does the first rough cut of the season for most everything, except along the driveway, the MMM can handle that even for the first cut of the season. The L is my real work horse, the B keeps the grassy areas looking nice.

But if I only had the B, I’d use it for lighter FEL work and towing light trailers. But a brush hog of any size in dense material probably wouldn’t be the best match on my place.

Last edited:

Foxrunfarms

Equipment
Apr 25, 2023
WI
Welcome to OTT and happy to see another Wisconsinite join the ranks of Kubota owners! I am located in Waupaca county (home) and Waushara county (land) in the central sands region.

Congrats on the tractor and implement purchase. I am confident it will perform beyond your expectations as my B7100hst and L2501hst have for me.

I suffered complete destruction of my spinal cord at the T12 level in 1979 which left me completely paralyzed from the hips down. I have led a great life, productive life, business, family, friends etc. The only reason I am bringing this up is that after reading a few of the comments folks should understand that after suffering a catastrophic injury that life is not necessarily over. When I was in rehab I met young kids around my age at the time , 22, that had broken necks at high levels that left them completely paralyzed, legs and arms/hands. I still have contact with a few of them after 45 some odd years later and many have gone on to achieve the same or better quality of life as I.

I know you and others do not need a pep talk or lecture and from your writings you will , with time and the support of your family/friends and God , find your way back to doing a job you love!

Enjoy that new tractor when it shows up! :)
I'm about an hour, hour 20ish south of you. My parents used to live up there. Out of high school I worked at a seed corn research facility and we did some trials up there, beauty county.

I'm sorry to hear what happened to you. I've read some books on farming accidents and follow some YouTube channels of farmers with no arms or legs and they're working just as hard andvaccomplishing more than fully capable people. It's real easy to get into a dark spot but with will power, family and God anything is possible. You need to push yourself. I see people in physical therapy who don't do their exercises or just want to sit around and mop.

Foxrunfarms

Equipment
Apr 25, 2023
WI
Just to share, I have (for the last year) a B2601. I bought it to run a mid mount mower. That’s really all I do with it and yes taking it off and installing the mower is a chore and it’s a drive over too. Well I did drag the gravel driveway once with the MMM on with the back blade. FWIW, the MMM will mow the pasture just fine once I knock it down the first time for the season with the brush hog on the L3830. I use the MMM to mow amongst the trees I have on shallower slopes and the access roads (dirt surface, so they grow grass, etc). I use my “big” tractor for everything else. FEL, pallet fork and grapple work, back blade, towing and brush hog. The brush hog on the L3830 does the first rough cut of the season for most everything, except along the driveway, the MMM can handle that even for the first cut of the season. The L is my real work horse, the B keeps the grassy areas looking nice.

But if I only had the B, I’d use it for lighter FEL work and towing light trailers. But a brush hog of any size in dense material probably wouldn’t be the best match on my place.
Thanks for the feed back. I really enjoy running/playing around with my John deere b. It's about 17hp. I'm hoping I could find a mower for that. No three point on those though so it'd have to be a pull behind.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I hadn't picked up you're looking at a rear mower. That would make a lot more sense. I don't really find my MMM hard to get on or off - being drive over is the big difference, not having to drag it out. I can drive over, drop the links, pull into the tabs on the mower, get off to flick the latches, then back on to lift a little and drive back and forwards till they click. The front isn't hard to attach (but requires bending over), the PTO shaft is the only fiddly bit. But a rear mower would be a lot easier.

If you're looking rear, I agree, consider a flail. That'll do lawns and field stubble.

Re: pallet forks v's grapple. If it were me I'd get both. But it's not my money. :cool:

Quick

Equipment
B2601, LA435, BH70, LP SGC0554 Grapple, LP RB1672 Rear Blade, King Kutter 60" BB
Sep 23, 2021
St. Clair, MO.
Welcome, Tony! Glad you found us. (-:

Foxrunfarms

Equipment
Apr 25, 2023
WI
I hadn't picked up you're looking at a rear mower. That would make a lot more sense. I don't really find my MMM hard to get on or off - being drive over is the big difference, not having to drag it out. I can drive over, drop the links, pull into the tabs on the mower, get off to flick the latches, then back on to lift a little and drive back and forwards till they click. The front isn't hard to attach (but requires bending over), the PTO shaft is the only fiddly bit. But a rear mower would be a lot easier.

If you're looking rear, I agree, consider a flail. That'll do lawns and field stubble.

Re: pallet forks v's grapple. If it were me I'd get both. But it's not my money. :cool:
We ordered a drive over mid mount to mow our lawn. I'm looking at a 3 point brush hog to mow my atv trails, corn stalks and sun flowers down. If I can't find a 3 point I'm going to look for one that can be pulled by my b. The sales guy mentioned a rear mount finish mower cause of the price and easier hook up but we didn't want a neck ach looking back and have that swinging around when turning. I think I'd have more uses with the pallet forks than a grapple...... maybe for when we get animals a grapple would be good for packed down manure and straw. It's easier to spend someone else's money lol.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
We ordered a drive over mid mount to mow our lawn.
Ah, OK. Then back to the original. It can probably do most things for you. But corn stalks....probably not.

I'm looking at a 3 point brush hog to mow my atv trails, corn stalks and sun flowers down. If I can't find a 3 point I'm going to look for one that can be pulled by my b.
3pt brush hogs are very common, and often for sale. They also hold their value well because everyone wants one. You may find buying the Land Pride one and including it in financing is actually a reasonably attractive deal. I think I recall two classes of Land Pride - a light duty and a heavier duty. Most people recommend the heavier duty one.

The sales guy mentioned a rear mount finish mower cause of the price and easier hook up but we didn't want a neck ach looking back and have that swinging around when turning.
I personally prefer a MMM, but a rear finish mower can work well once you're familiar with it. Some people recommend mirrors to see what it's doing to avoid the neck ache thing. I don't personally find the MMM hookup all that hard, but it's taken me probably two years to tune the process.

Key things I learned were:
1. The drive over isn't as obvious as I thought, because the deck is slightly offset. I was consistently getting off centre, and then had to horse the deck over to attach. I was slow to realise there are actually wheel guides on top of the deck - they're a slight raised ridge that run inside the front tires. Centreing on those fixes the problem.

2. If you drop the mower links (lower the 3ph) as you drive over, there's a slight funnel on the front of those that finishes aligning the deck for you. If you get close enough it'll then self centre.

3. If you lean enough, you can see the bottom of the link arms from your seat (at least on my B you can). So you can get off and release the latch, then raise and lower and drive back and forth until they click in, again rather than horsing the mower around

4. I always set my mower height to zero before removing it, as otherwise the arms don't go down far enough to pick it up again and you end up having to lift the mower a bit by hand. I also always remove on the grass (not enough concrete). It's hard to attach the mid PTO shaft when the mower is sitting flat on the ground - the blades won't spin because they're down in the grass. So I attach the links and the front mount, then lift the deck slightly, then attach the PTO. That lets me spin it a little if I need to in order to align it. Other people have recommended taking the PTO out of gear (switching to rear PTO instead of mid), which then allows the PTO stub shaft to rotate instead. I haven't tried that, but it might also work.

I think I'd have more uses with the pallet forks than a grapple...... maybe for when we get animals a grapple would be good for packed down manure and straw.
I think they mostly do different things. If you don't have a lot of brush/tree trimmings etc to move, then a grapple doesn't have a lot of use for you. I was responding to the lifting of logs for firewood, which sounded to me like you were doing tree work - so you'd have branches and trimmings to move, and you're lifting logs to cut them. If you're not doing much of that, then you're like me - I'd like a grapple but don't really have a use to justify the expense.

It's easier to spend someone else's money lol.
And more fun too. :cool:

RichardAaronlx2610

Equipment
Lx2610 Cab, Fel, Backhoe, Grapple, Box Grader, Forks
Aug 3, 2021
New Jersey
Hello,

My name is Tony. A little background on myself. I grew up on small WI dairy farm. I met my wife and we bought a 7 acre hobby farm that we've currently been living on for 3 years now.
View attachment 101414

We grow decorative corn, pumpkins, and haybales we sell along the road in the fall.
View attachment 101415
I also grow corn, soybeans, and sunflowers for food plots.
View attachment 101416
View attachment 101417
View attachment 101419
My dad and I collect and restore vintage John Deere tractors. These are mostly for leisure but do see some work around the average.
View attachment 101420
Our main tool is an arctic cat 700 tbx at. It would till the garden with a mini disc, plow snow, and is our " go for" vehicle running around.
View attachment 101421
I'm a foreman at tree and lawn care company and have access to dump trucks, skidloaders, and backhoes, to fill in the gap of anything we might need.

Unfortunately going on 2 years now when I was on a jobs site in conned off area, wearing a safety vest standing next to a skidloader trailer unchaining the loader a 16 year old wasn't paying attention, drove through the cones, up onto the trailer and came off running me over when I was jumping out of the way. I've spent 2 weeks in a trauma center and on surgery #3 now. I have some hardware in my right leg and limitations with it. Friends, family and neighbors really helped out around the property but a lot of responsibility has been put on my wife. Once I'm considered closed to being healed I'm looking at a different carreer that my body can handle better which means no access to equipment.

My wife decided it was time to look at tractors to make things easier for us. I wanted a bigger lawn mower and some sort of classic full size farm tractor with a loader to plow snow. She wanted an all purpose tractor for mowing, loader work, and tilling, something that was dependable and she was comfortable driving. So we decided on a compact. Kubota, John Deere and New Holland are all with in 10 minutes of our place. As you can tell from my collection I'm a JD guy so that was my 1st choice. The wife liked the 1025rs but I knew it was too small for our needs the bucket wasn't much bigger than a wheel barrel. I likes the 3033rs, but looked at a New Holland 30 and a few Kubotas. The wife really liked the Kubotas. A lx2610 caught our eye. I liked the 3310 but emissions and an extra 6k for 6 hp turned me away. We talked to a sales guy, we were able to get the tractor, a loader with 60 inch bucket, a 60 inch deck, quick hitch, and tiller for what just a base John Deere or New Holland would be plus 800 off the attachment combo and another 250 off for coming in during their demo days. We didn't get the tractor yet they need to find a mower deck yet.
View attachment 101422
The sales guy gave us a couple of hats, shirts, water bottle and 2 6 packs.
View attachment 101423
At the moment I'm checking out auctions for brush hogs, and rear blades.

We're really eager to put this tractor to use and see what it can all do for us. Hopefully this summer I'll be getting close to normal again, back to work, and be able to play around on this.....if the wife decides to share it.
Welcome to the page and congrats on your new purchase! You won’t regret going orange

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Thanks. I was concerned about laying down and hooking up /unhooking the deck if I needed the tractor for other tasks. Hooking up wagons, tongue implements, or trailers are hard for me to bend my knee or bend a certain way.

Good eye. It's a 1951 B.
View attachment 101430

We have a few obstacles, like trees, a swingset, and tight spots we figured the 60 inch was perfect. The dealer agreed. While I was laid up the father in law brought he x540 out to help more. It really sped up the process but he had some spots only our 46 inch deck couldn't get into.

I definitely want a brush hog for mowing down my corn stalks or mowing thick brush in our wetlands for hiking and atv trails. I'm sure the Kubotas deck can do all that but looking for the right tool for the job.
View attachment 101435
The neighbor usually cuts the hay but we might turn that into lawn or a nice gathering area so ( our place is the go to place for gatherings, the kids can ride atvs, run around, and we do hayrides) we'd be using the Kubotas on that.

I thought of a grapple. Where I work they're too cheap to buy them and we use forks to lift logs and dump them into the trucks. Lots of broken skidloader doors or dented hoods from rookies......not safe or smart.....non on my watch yet. I think forks would be better justified. Moving work, totes of wood, produce, moving stuff around the shed, etextensive.
Thank you for all your feedback.
Welcome to OTT, Tony!! What a nice spot you've got! Great tractors and pics as well. Since you mentioned dairy and flat land in Wisconsin.....are you anywhere near Cumberland, Wi? I have relatives there and it's a beautiful dairyland area....amongst other things as well.

@jimh406 made a very valid point about maybe considering a rear 3pt finish mower instead of a belly mower. I had a belly mower on my compact John Deere for 20 some years. It did a nice job but what a pain to always be taking off/putting on between other implements for other duties. We live on about 18 acres with woods, lawn, 3 acres tillable, etc. Mowing is a smaller percentage of the other tasks that involve other attachments for the tractor.

When I bought the B2650 I didn't want the midmount mower and picked up a rear finish mower. Couldn't be happier with it and in our situation would never go back to a midmount mower. The rear finish mower is almost as fast. So much easier to install/remove....especially as I get older!! You don't put off doing different jobs because I had the belly mower on and needed pto equipment on.....or vice versa. I can't tell the difference in the finish cut between the two types that I have.

Each type have their advantages and disadvantages......for me on our acreage.....the advantages of the rear finish mower far outweigh the disadvantages.

Did somebody mention mowing corn down with a brush hog???!!! :ROFLMAO: (I'm poking fun at me, not you!!)
Tony, we've raised and sold sweet corn on our 3 acres for 22 years now. (Hoping last year was the final one). Getting rid of the leftover residue is a tough job!!

I've tried discing (didn't work well). We used our JD midmount finish mower (worked but not perfect) and a little tough on the mower and a ton of clean up work. Bought a used brush hog and that was much more suited for the task than the midmount mower but still left a lot of stalks down and not cut up.....even after multiple passes. Rototilling afterwards was slow and tedious from uncut stalks always plugging up the tiller and or the cultivator!!

A couple years ago we purchased a rear flail mower. That mower is the clear ticket for mowing down and chopping up corn stalks in one pass!!! Among mowing other brushy areas as well. I've only had one little glitch with it (my own fault) and you can see pics and read about my flail mower "oops!" here. :LOL:

My B2650 gets used for every kind of duty around here. If your LX will have somewhat the same situation.... make a list of the other duties and what percentage those other duties total up to compared to just mowing. If your Kubota will be an all purpose tractor.....give some serious thought to a rear finish mower vs a midmount. I can hook/unhook mine in less than 3 minutes....and only have to crouch down a little to hook up the pto shaft. (No under the tractor hookups as in a mid mount mower!!)

Since the flail mower showed up here.....the brush hog mower hasn't been hooked up once and will be up for sale cheap this summer. The flail mower with the hammer blades does all the same duties and better. In mowing down corn.....there's no comparison.....the flail mower rocks!!! Just keep an eye on the belt tension! LOL!

If you want to go on a road trip for a cheap used brush hog......we're not too far away. LOL!

David

UnEasyRider

Equipment
L3302 LA 526 loader, Box Scraper, Grappler, Forks, Rotary mower, Big Tool Rack.
Apr 14, 2023
Florida
Great to have you here, Tony.

I can relate. I crashed my motorcycle 8 years ago and they gave me 1 percent chance to live.

I spent weeks in a hospital. And weeks in rehab. I lived. Kept my job. My wife and God was my mainstay.

Wether you bought Deere or Kubota, I'm glad that you're capable.

It gets better. It gets better. It took me a month to walk again. 5 months to walk without a walker.

Chin up. Love for your God and family.
I ride and was curious if you plan on riding again???

Foxrunfarms

Equipment
Apr 25, 2023
WI
Ah, OK. Then back to the original. It can probably do most things for you. But corn stalks....probably not.

3pt brush hogs are very common, and often for sale. They also hold their value well because everyone wants one. You may find buying the Land Pride one and including it in financing is actually a reasonably attractive deal. I think I recall two classes of Land Pride - a light duty and a heavier duty. Most people recommend the heavier duty one.

I personally prefer a MMM, but a rear finish mower can work well once you're familiar with it. Some people recommend mirrors to see what it's doing to avoid the neck ache thing. I don't personally find the MMM hookup all that hard, but it's taken me probably two years to tune the process.

Key things I learned were:
1. The drive over isn't as obvious as I thought, because the deck is slightly offset. I was consistently getting off centre, and then had to horse the deck over to attach. I was slow to realise there are actually wheel guides on top of the deck - they're a slight raised ridge that run inside the front tires. Centreing on those fixes the problem.

2. If you drop the mower links (lower the 3ph) as you drive over, there's a slight funnel on the front of those that finishes aligning the deck for you. If you get close enough it'll then self centre.

3. If you lean enough, you can see the bottom of the link arms from your seat (at least on my B you can). So you can get off and release the latch, then raise and lower and drive back and forth until they click in, again rather than horsing the mower around

4. I always set my mower height to zero before removing it, as otherwise the arms don't go down far enough to pick it up again and you end up having to lift the mower a bit by hand. I also always remove on the grass (not enough concrete). It's hard to attach the mid PTO shaft when the mower is sitting flat on the ground - the blades won't spin because they're down in the grass. So I attach the links and the front mount, then lift the deck slightly, then attach the PTO. That lets me spin it a little if I need to in order to align it. Other people have recommended taking the PTO out of gear (switching to rear PTO instead of mid), which then allows the PTO stub shaft to rotate instead. I haven't tried that, but it might also work.

I think they mostly do different things. If you don't have a lot of brush/tree trimmings etc to move, then a grapple doesn't have a lot of use for you. I was responding to the lifting of logs for firewood, which sounded to me like you were doing tree work - so you'd have branches and trimmings to move, and you're lifting logs to cut them. If you're not doing much of that, then you're like me - I'd like a grapple but don't really have a use to justify the expense.

And more fun too. :cool:
The 800 off was only good for 3 attachments. The sales guy said adding more The deal wouldn't really matter. He did give us a quick hitch half off.....or dealer charge which was the same price as a tsc or fleet farm/farm and fleet brand. The numbers don't look bad when added to the payment. We looked at a few options. One was a tandem axel trailer for 5k.........5k but only an extra 40.00 on our payment.....didn't look terrible except no real use for it and for 5k can get a heavy duty trailer. Working at a Case IH dealership that handled Kubota and land pride I know it's a good well built item. Looking around at newer blades and brush hogs I couldn't believe the price of them and how sprung and beat up they are .........seems like quality went down over the years. I'm bidding on an old hd Dansaur blade at the moment.......it'll need a dupont over haul to be hooked up to the new tractor haha.
Screenshot_20230501_190749_Samsung Internet.jpg

Sorry I seemed all over the place with the grapple. I have some tree work, but nothing too serious. A grapple would be easier and safer than the forks but the 1 month I buck and split wood for the season I think the forks will get me by.

Thank you for the advice on the drive over. I'm sure it's going to help. Where I work we had an older B series from the 90's that has a deck so I learned a few tricks on that one and know exactly what you mean in some of your points.
Screenshot_20190505-195910_Messages.jpg

Like the loader or other attachments I'm sure the more you do it, it's 2nd nature.

Foxrunfarms

Equipment
Apr 25, 2023
WI
Welcome to OTT, Tony!! What a nice spot you've got! Great tractors and pics as well. Since you mentioned dairy and flat land in Wisconsin.....are you anywhere near Cumberland, Wi? I have relatives there and it's a beautiful dairyland area....amongst other things as well.

@jimh406 made a very valid point about maybe considering a rear 3pt finish mower instead of a belly mower. I had a belly mower on my compact John Deere for 20 some years. It did a nice job but what a pain to always be taking off/putting on between other implements for other duties. We live on about 18 acres with woods, lawn, 3 acres tillable, etc. Mowing is a smaller percentage of the other tasks that involve other attachments for the tractor.

When I bought the B2650 I didn't want the midmount mower and picked up a rear finish mower. Couldn't be happier with it and in our situation would never go back to a midmount mower. The rear finish mower is almost as fast. So much easier to install/remove....especially as I get older!! You don't put off doing different jobs because I had the belly mower on and needed pto equipment on.....or vice versa. I can't tell the difference in the finish cut between the two types that I have.

Each type have their advantages and disadvantages......for me on our acreage.....the advantages of the rear finish mower far outweigh the disadvantages.

Did somebody mention mowing corn down with a brush hog???!!! :ROFLMAO: (I'm poking fun at me, not you!!)
Tony, we've raised and sold sweet corn on our 3 acres for 22 years now. (Hoping last year was the final one). Getting rid of the leftover residue is a tough job!!

I've tried discing (didn't work well). We used our JD midmount finish mower (worked but not perfect) and a little tough on the mower and a ton of clean up work. Bought a used brush hog and that was much more suited for the task than the midmount mower but still left a lot of stalks down and not cut up.....even after multiple passes. Rototilling afterwards was slow and tedious from uncut stalks always plugging up the tiller and or the cultivator!!

A couple years ago we purchased a rear flail mower. That mower is the clear ticket for mowing down and chopping up corn stalks in one pass!!! Among mowing other brushy areas as well. I've only had one little glitch with it (my own fault) and you can see pics and read about my flail mower "oops!" here. :LOL:

My B2650 gets used for every kind of duty around here. If your LX will have somewhat the same situation.... make a list of the other duties and what percentage those other duties total up to compared to just mowing. If your Kubota will be an all purpose tractor.....give some serious thought to a rear finish mower vs a midmount. I can hook/unhook mine in less than 3 minutes....and only have to crouch down a little to hook up the pto shaft. (No under the tractor hookups as in a mid mount mower!!)

Since the flail mower showed up here.....the brush hog mower hasn't been hooked up once and will be up for sale cheap this summer. The flail mower with the hammer blades does all the same duties and better. In mowing down corn.....there's no comparison.....the flail mower rocks!!! Just keep an eye on the belt tension! LOL!

If you want to go on a road trip for a cheap used brush hog......we're not too far away. LOL!

David
Thanks David. I'm about 3.5 hours south of Cumberland. The rice lake area is very popular for vacations and snowmobiling.

You almost got me sold on the rear mount......do you telemarket on the side lol? We did discuss about a dedicated mower vs always removing the deck adding the loader vise versa. Growing up we had a tractor that took most of the day to fit the loader on and know exactly what you mean about putting off tasks and avoiding removing the deck. I greatly appreciate the feed back from you and everyone here and I'm sure with the next tractor we'll learn a few things and make changes.

I worked on a farm where they sold sweetcorn for extra income. Something I thought about doing. I'd love to find an old Mc, or Brady flail chopper. I found one online but it's a little high in price.
Screenshot_20230501_193413_Gmail.jpg

They want 700 for it. At dealers they give them away it seems. It has hydraulics but can be converted to a turn buckel. My plans with the cornstalks were to level them and mold plow over them. To get some time on the b and really turn over the soil and bury the residue then in spring run the tiller over it.
20230427_191631~2.jpg
There are vintage mini Mott flail choppers out there. My buddy has one. Very neat but it'd take forever and a day to do a field.

20210610_185122~2.jpg

I might take you up on the brush hog though. See how my hunting goes haha.

trial and error

Equipment
B7100dt manual trans. homemade FEL, 4 way hydraulic dozer blade
Feb 16, 2023
NY
Welcome aboard

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Thanks David. I'm about 3.5 hours south of Cumberland. The rice lake area is very popular for vacations and snowmobiling.

You almost got me sold on the rear mount......do you telemarket on the side lol? We did discuss about a dedicated mower vs always removing the deck adding the loader vise versa. Growing up we had a tractor that took most of the day to fit the loader on and know exactly what you mean about putting off tasks and avoiding removing the deck. I greatly appreciate the feed back from you and everyone here and I'm sure with the next tractor we'll learn a few things and make changes.

I worked on a farm where they sold sweetcorn for extra income. Something I thought about doing. I'd love to find an old Mc, or Brady flail chopper. I found one online but it's a little high in price.
View attachment 101486
They want 700 for it. At dealers they give them away it seems. It has hydraulics but can be converted to a turn buckel. My plans with the cornstalks were to level them and mold plow over them. To get some time on the b and really turn over the soil and bury the residue then in spring run the tiller over it.
View attachment 101487 .
There are vintage mini Mott flail choppers out there. My buddy has one. Very neat but it'd take forever and a day to do a field.

View attachment 101488

I might take you up on the brush hog though. See how my hunting goes haha.
All of your photos look like post cards. You’re very good at taking good photos.

BTW, you can use the FEL and MMM together, as long as you don’t need a lot of ground clearance where you’re using the FEL. As I’m sure you know (working for an equipment rental shop) modern FELs are very easy to take off and on. On my L, with the older system, it takes me about 2 minutes off and 5 minutes on and that’s being no hurry about it. But, make sure you do it on concrete. The MMM does pretty much tie up the 3 point hitch. Although you can, theoretically put the MMM in the up position and pin it up so the 3 point become functional. My dealer had to wholer out the holes on the deck so the carry position pins would actually go in. And the carry portion pine are a bear to get to and lock in place with the hair pin clip on the inside end of the pin.

My brush hog only takes marginally longer than the FEL, sometimes the PTO shaft is “fun” to index properly. I second the Land Pride brush hog. I’d go as heavy duty as the budget allows, although mine does have a rough existence. I’m on my second gear box (Chicom, so I’m sure it won’t last long). My neighbor claims it’s my bush chipper. Make sure you install the replaceable skids on the brush hog straight from the dealer. Not after you wear out the deck skids and have to rebuild it and then add the replaceable skids.

Foxrunfarms

Equipment
Apr 25, 2023
WI
All of your photos look like post cards. You’re very good at taking good photos.

BTW, you can use the FEL and MMM together, as long as you don’t need a lot of ground clearance where you’re using the FEL. As I’m sure you know (working for an equipment rental shop) modern FELs are very easy to take off and on. On my L, with the older system, it takes me about 2 minutes off and 5 minutes on and that’s being no hurry about it. But, make sure you do it on concrete. The MMM does pretty much tie up the 3 point hitch. Although you can, theoretically put the MMM in the up position and pin it up so the 3 point become functional. My dealer had to wholer out the holes on the deck so the carry position pins would actually go in. And the carry portion pine are a bear to get to and lock in place with the hair pin clip on the inside end of the pin.

My brush hog only takes marginally longer than the FEL, sometimes the PTO shaft is “fun” to index properly. I second the Land Pride brush hog. I’d go as heavy duty as the budget allows, although mine does have a rough existence. I’m on my second gear box (Chicom, so I’m sure it won’t last long). My neighbor claims it’s my bush chipper. Make sure you install the replaceable skids on the brush hog straight from the dealer. Not after you wear out the deck skids and have to rebuild it and then add the replaceable skids.
Thank you I'm eager to get the tractor and get some nice shots of her.

As of right now on paper the loader will be off most of the summer but in a pinch with non serious work the deck would probably stay on. Fall and winter would be the more serious loader work times.

Thanks for the advice on the brush hog. That is my fear buying used. Sticking just as much in a gear box as the mower itself.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Further thoughts, just because.

1. FEL on and off on my B2601 is under a minute for me now. I was in a hurry to do it just a couple days ago before the rain - loader on, move some dirt, loader off, mow the lawn, go out for dinner. It's really no chore at all, especially if you have a little space around your tractor (my biggest issue is squeezing up the right hand side to disconnect the hoses - my shed is small.

2. Mower on and off, about the same. I can take it off in almost no time (less than a minute), especially if I don't bother to use the little ramps they provide that don't seem necessary. On again is perhaps 2 minutes.

3. I am a believer in taking the loader off to mow - it makes mowing far more pleasant. The tractor pitches a lot with the loader weight, and it's quite a bit of weight on the front wheels - chews up the lawn more. But more than anything, because I mow around the house. I've learned the hard way that if the loader bumps into anything at all, that thing is broken. Better safe than sorry, it takes half a day to patch the render on the side of the house. Similarly for mower when doing loader work. If I'm just doing a bit, it's fine with it on. But if I'm doing more than 10 minutes, better with the mower off. More clearance, and get into narrower spaces.

4. I can easily use my 3pt with the mower on. I just set the mower height setting to "top", and that pretty much pins it up. It's not quite the same as using the pins to pin it all the way up, but it's close. I often do that when I'm putting the boat in, I don't like dragging the mower in the water too much (if it's all the way down), but I use a 3pt mounted tow hitch so I can lift the front wheels of the boat trailer - avoid scuffing the concrete or the grass too much.