Bought a tractor... Now What?

Greg

Equipment
B7100 HST-D 4x4 with FEL, PTO and 3 pt hitch
Dec 7, 2009
Putnam County, NY
Terrific forum. Thank you to those who made it possible. I am new to the forum and new to tractors. I just bought a B7100HST and I am wondering what I should do first or look for to help prolong it's life. Were there any short comings on this machine that I should pay particular attention to? I'm really not sure if I should change all the oils and filters right of the bat or not. It seems to run great and most functions seem to work well too. It came with a 60" woods 3pt mower so I got to use the PTO and all seems well. It came with, what I think, is a Johnson loader. The loader is only 1/2 mounted and needs some metal work and brackets custom made so it can be mounted on to the tractor. The loader came from a Bolens. Although I know nothing about tractors yet, I plan to learn and make this one real nice.

Anyway, my few question are...
1. Are there any inherent problems with this B7100 HST (mid 80's) that I should keep my eyes open for?
2. Do you think the tractor can run the loader without an additional hydraulic fluid tank?
3. What should I do to it now, since I really don't know if it's been weel cared for?

Thanks in advance for any help any of you can offer.

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
hello there from kentucky, while there are those on the forum that can very capably give you the information you requested I will give you some you didn't ask for. That would be to get as much seat time as possible. the experience driving "your" tractor will help you with other questions in the future.

enjoy, tim

Theekillerbee

Jun 28, 2009
Pleasant View UT, USA
Welcome aboard Greg.

Can't really give any comment on #1.

Yes your tractor will be just fine without any sort of auxiliary hydraulic tank.

Get yourself a manual and change all fluids and filters. Make sure you clean the hydraulic pickup screen as well. Then grease all the zirks. I'd flush the radiator and replace the antifreeze with fresh goods. Adding liquid ballast should also be on your list of things to do in the near future.

Good luck and have fun.

aquaforce

Equipment
L245DT FEL, JD450 Track loader, 5' scrape blade&mower, 5x10 trailer, Dump truck
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
Welcome to the forum:)

If it was not well cared for then the oil change etc is past due. If it was well cared for then doing all the maintenance and service on it will keep it in great care.

Good luck and congrats on the orange tractor:D

mathuhaden

Banned
Dec 7, 2009
usa
Bought a tractor

Need to buy a tractor - requirements as follows:
- 8 acres of field to mow regularly
- some degree of digging / carrying wood around
- needs to be easy to use

serious answers only please!