Bottom of my bucket has no paint

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
I do use the bucket to level out some what I dumped but back dragging does a good job finishing it up. I will just keep an eye on it. Thanks

Shadetree03

Equipment
L2501, King Kutter, Landscape Rake, Titan 3pt forks
Sep 20, 2017
Pueblo, CO
I noticed the bottom of my bucket was rusty the other day, so your post caught my eye. I remember Dad dosing the moldboards on the old plow with used motor oil so they were easier to roll sod the next year. But I've decided that I've been neglecting to use my bucket enough this year so I'll try to do better, haha.

As far as back dragging, I have been pleased and rely for the most part on reversing the back blade at the 45 degrees mentioned, and using the front loader bucket with "Edge tamer" runners to stabilize the tendency to rock on the short wheel base CUT (L2501). Worked well smoothing the 150 tons of 3/4 and less road base that comprised the walking path at our church.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 users

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Regular use of the bucket will help keep any help rust from forming 👍👍👍😬😬😬😬😬

Reactions: 1 user

SRRGC1

Equipment
BX1870-1, BX23S TLB, RTV XG850, MX5100DT
Jan 6, 2021
Bloomsburg
I do allot of back dragging maintaining my long driveway that has class II on it. If I paint it, it will be scraped off the next month. Do you folks keep painting it or just leave it bare? Open to suggestions on something more durable to paint it. Am still learning to use my back blade but currently suck at it. thanks
Bare. Others will reply on the dangers associated with back dragging.

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Is the topic in jest?

• Love

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
I've back dragged buckets off and on for decades, and never blew out a cylinder. Of course, I never angle it to cut, just to pull loose material.
For leveling out a large area of loose material, we used to do what we called "spinning". Set the scraper or "box blade" on your 3 pt, top link tilted way back, so only the rear facing blade hits the ground. Then, on float, go forward like hell in mid or even high range and go in circles. Figure 8's etc. Head over the high spots and drag it to the lows. Did final grade on tract homes with a Massey Skip for years. Super fast and efficient.
Edit: There's a science to it, you normally want the front blade about 1" higher that the rear blade. On some box scrapers, the rear blade is on a hinge...lock it in place.

No monkeying around with a back blade, those came later and have thier place. But an experienced operator can do wonders with a box scraper.

Last edited:

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Time and use teaches things 😉
Yes Sir. Lots of newer folks buying tractors and have little or no experience.

We just want to help them.

Rear single blades have thier purpose, but they are difficult because it's not supported by a second blade. A box scraper has that and is easier to learn. In my experience.

Last edited:

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Yes Sir. Lots of newer folks buying tractors and have little or no experience.

We just want to help them.

Rear single blades have thier purpose, but they are difficult because it's not supported by a second blade. A box scraper has that and is easier to learn. In my experience.
I get it. I was being bad 🫤

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Reminds me of a quote from my favorite President...

“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in this world. The Marines don't have that problem.”

Semper Fi

Reactions: 2 users

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Reminds me of a quote from my favorite President...

“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in this world. The Marines don't have that problem.”

Semper Fi
Army 82-88

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
I do allot of back dragging maintaining my long driveway that has class II on it. If I paint it, it will be scraped off the next month. Do you folks keep painting it or just leave it bare? Open to suggestions on something more durable to paint it. Am still learning to use my back blade but currently suck at it. thanks
[/Q
I read your question twice and it still sounded like you were painting the driveway stone. But after realizing you were talking about a loader bucket it wasn't any less laughable. The guys you see "back dragging" on construction sites have experience under their belts and are using far larger tractors. Even then if you stick around you see him use that box blade on his machine to put final finish on it before leaving and you will never see him back dragging to maintain a long driveway ,that's why he has a box blade on back. Rather than speed another 10 years gaining experience I recommend buying or building a landplane and spare some hair pulling. A box blade is more universal and does well after a little practice but land planes are the berries for fist time tractor owner/hobbyist.

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
I have a land plain but no experience yet with it. Tried a few times to see what it can do. Aggressive. Got a feeling my snow pusher will level everything by spring. Will be first winter with it.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I have a land plain but no experience yet with it. Tried a few times to see what it can do. Aggressive. Got a feeling my snow pusher will level everything by spring. Will be first winter with it.
If you have a land plane, I'd be getting some experience with it. Trial and error is the best way to learn. Nothing wrong with that. The opinionated SOB's folks here on OTT would give you pointers, I'm sure. ;)

It's intended use is exactly what you're doing by back-dragging, but will be much more efficient and effective.

Your tractor has a "1/4-inching valve" for 3-PH level control. Means a slight "tap" up or down on your control level will move it up or down about 1/4". Takes some practice, but if your plane was overly aggressive might be as simple as a slight increase in height, or possibly and adjustment of the top link on your 3 PH.

Many folks here say a land plane is the bee's knees for periodic stone driveway maintenance, and much easier to use versus a box blade.

Never used one but have seen many pictures on OTT with great results.

Good luck and thanks for your service.

Last edited:

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Your tractor has a "1/4-inching valve" for 3-PH level control. Means a slight "tap" up or down on your control level will move it up or down about 1/4". Takes some practice, but if your plane was overly agressive might as simple as a slight increase in height, or possibly and adjustment of the top link on your 3 PH.
I've owned the BX23s since Mid August, with no real need to use the Box Blade...Yet.

Does the 1/4 inching valve also apply to the 23s/23 series in general?

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
Back dragging is like a shirt tail, some use them but those in the know prefer box blade and Kleenex.