Boosting HP few points?

Equipment
Sold the '94 B7100 HST, bought a 1987 L2250 w/ FEL
Jan 30, 2014
Owings, MD
Back in the day when I had my Ford Powerstroke - a diesel engine, I could do a kitty delete (remove catalytic converter) and install a larger exhaust pipe from engine to daylight. I would also install a more cfm air-filter - with both of these mods - the truck could breath better and exhaust better - the end result is a cleaner running, slightly more hp truck.

My question is the same on my little B7100 HST-D. I see posts about swapping engines and someone installing a turbo - but what about the super simple mods for the "mechanically inept" such as myself? Dont get me wrong - I can make most things work again that are broke but I dont weld, fabricate, etc.

Is it possible and would it be worthwhile to help the little D750 engine breath better and exhaust better - giving a small boost to hp? Seems with 16hp anything - even a few points would make a reasonable change in how the tractor operates whether bush-hoging, disking, etc?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Size of the intake and the exhaust is not the issue, it's the size of the valves and the pistons that is the restricting factor.

Dan_R_42

Equipment
B7100-D, w/ Sims Cab, B219 FEL, ARPS 70 Backhoe, Oversized R4 Tires, LX2610 Cab
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
Size of the intake and the exhaust is not the issue, it's the size of the valves and the pistons that is the restricting factor.
I'm with Wolfman on this one... Run it as it is. If it ain't broke - Don't muck with it. Unless you plan to race with it or soup it up for Tractor Pulls.

sarco

Equipment
B2620
Oct 14, 2013
Michigan
In my experience as a mechanic, todays engines are so efficient that getting more power from them is going to be more costly that it used to be.
Valve timing is something that I have not seen mentioned on this thread.
Usually, the inexpensive improvements are only worth small gains, if any.
Stock engines tend to last longer that modified engines anyway.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
In my experience as a mechanic, todays engines are so efficient that getting more power from them is going to be more costly that it used to be.
Valve timing is something that I have not seen mentioned on this thread.
Usually, the inexpensive improvements are only worth small gains, if any.
Stock engines tend to last longer that modified engines anyway.
Sarco, The OP is talking about a 30+ year old engine. ;)