Boom sickle mower for Kubota

Weekender

Equipment
Kubota L6060, LA1055 Loader, Bearcat CH-8540 chipper/shredder, L2195A snowblower
Dec 28, 2021
KubotaL6060%
Does anyone here know if there is a hydraulic boom sickle mower compatible with my Kubota L6060?
-Weekender

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Check out the Bush Hog PT5 - doesnt require as much flow as the Betstco. I only have a couple banks to do but I am tempted.

Dan
Be advised that sickle bar mowers are tempermental and do not work well at low ground speed or in short grass.

SDT

Weekender

Equipment
Kubota L6060, LA1055 Loader, Bearcat CH-8540 chipper/shredder, L2195A snowblower
Dec 28, 2021
KubotaL6060%
Interesting.

I've never seen a boom sickle mower before.

SDT
Awesome! Thanks. I have a line of forsythia about 100 yards long that was overgrown when I bought the property. I just need to find a way to manage it and I thought that a sickle mower would be the best option. I had seen one online but wasn’t sure it was compatible with the Kubota or if Land Pride made one. I appreciate the help.
Weekender

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I have a Stihl gas powered hedge trimmer that makes short work of that kind of thing. Much less money and complexity. More time but a similar result. Its kind of frightening. Could take a finger or your nose off in an instant. Mine has earned my respect and love.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I'm trying figure out what I need to cut weeds down along one side of the driveway and this might work. I get a 6 ft band of canadian thistle, hounds tongue, knap weed and others along the downslope side of the driveway (about 200 yards in length) and if I can cut them back regularly it might give the grass a chance of taking over. It's steep and very awkward to cut with a weed whacker or machete not to mention hard work. I could spray but that's not the best approach given the weevils I put down this past year.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I'm trying figure out what I need to cut weeds down along one side of the driveway and this might work. I get a 6 ft band of canadian thistle, hounds tongue, knap weed and others along the downslope side of the driveway (about 200 yards in length) and if I can cut them back regularly it might give the grass a chance of taking over. It's steep and very awkward to cut with a weed whacker or machete not to mention hard work. I could spray but that's not the best approach given the weevils I put down this past year.
Boom mower. That sickle bar rig from Betstco is pretty inexpensive - about 1/3 of what Bush Hog wants.

Dan

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Boom mower. That sickle bar rig from Betstco is pretty inexpensive - about 1/3 of what Bush Hog wants.

Dan
I'm a little confused. Are you suggesting a boom mower rather than a boom sickle bar mower?

I could really use the boom mower shown in the link below but the video is kind of shocking. :oops:

RMB Boom Mowers - Bush Hog

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I'm a little confused. Are you suggesting a boom mower rather than a boom sickle bar mower?

I could really use the boom mower shown in the link below but the video is kind of shocking. :oops:

RMB Boom Mowers - Bush Hog
I was suggesting any boom mower. The local county road crews have rotaries for these types of jobs. Most commercial boom mowers are massive, expensive, and require large hydraulic flows.

The nice thing about the sickle mower is its light enough for a small tractor and inexpensive. My only concern is the hydraulic flow would tax my littlecL3901. Knew I should have upsized 😁

Dan

Reactions: 1 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I was suggesting any boom mower. The local county road crews have rotaries for these types of jobs. Most commercial boom mowers are massive, expensive, and require large hydraulic flows.

The nice thing about the sickle mower is its light enough for a small tractor and inexpensive. My only concern is the hydraulic flow would tax my littlecL3901. Knew I should have upsized 😁

Dan
Cool ... thanks. I figure I'd better start doing some research and think about ordering something long before I need it given some of the lead times.

Reactions: 1 user

Weekender

Equipment
Dec 28, 2021
KubotaL6060%
I have a Stihl gas powered hedge trimmer that makes short work of that kind of thing. Much less money and complexity. More time but a similar result. Its kind of frightening. Could take a finger or your nose off in an instant. Mine has earned my respect and love.
That's all fine and good but when the hedge is over 6 ft tall and wider still, and runs about 100 yds, there are easier and faster ways of tackling that problem using existing implements for what would seem to me a minimal investment. Work smarter not harder! Good luck out there!

chriscozi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23S 3rdFunction TerraKingBagger 4ftBoxBlade 5ftPlowBlade 3ptQuickHitch
Nov 26, 2020
Rutland VT
www.sugarwoodschool.org
Does anyone here know if there is a hydraulic boom sickle mower compatible with my Kubota L6060?
-Weekender
Bought one this fall to use in the spring.
I have several unreachable slopes that tax my body when I weed wack them.
So - this is for my BX-23S.
Here is my unboxing and connection info.
#1 - Stand the long narrow box UPRIGHT before opening. Trust me.
#2 - It's got an Open Center valve setup and hooks right to my BackHoe flat 1/4" face connections - hose adaptor from 1/2 to 1/4 required.
#3 - Ships no fluid. Have a quart or so handy to top the reservoir.
#4 - After easy-enough assembly double check all bolts and connections. Should probably use Lock Tite and tape for hydraulics. They did.
#5 - BX23S has plenty of volume to run the mower :)
#6 - Make sure you create a counter-weight for the base of the mower stand. I am in process of creating one this winter and will post pics on completion this spring. The weight of the attachment plus counterweight should be less than 1000 lbs as this is the 3pt hitch max.
#7 - Added Messick's 3pt Stabilizer bars because I'm afraid I'll break a turnbuckle and that would be a really bad thing when operating.

As I said I'll post again this spring when all is functional.
Wish me luck.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
#2 - It's got an Open Center valve setup and hooks right to my BackHoe flat 1/4" face connections - hose adaptor from 1/2 to 1/4 required.
#4 - After easy-enough assembly double check all bolts and connections. Should probably use Lock Tite and tape for hydraulics. They did.
#6 - Make sure you create a counter-weight for the base of the mower stand. I am in process of creating one this winter and will post pics on completion this spring. The weight of the attachment plus counterweight should be less than 1000 lbs as this is the 3pt hitch max.
#7 - Added Messick's 3pt Stabilizer bars because I'm afraid I'll break a turnbuckle and that would be a really bad thing when operating.

Wish me luck.
What did you buy? Can you post a link to the one you bought?

Weekender

Equipment
Dec 28, 2021
KubotaL6060%
Check out the Bush Hog PT5 - doesnt require as much flow as the Betstco. I only have a couple banks to do but I am tempted.

Dan
I agree, Dan. The PT5 looks sturdier and better built than the Bestco version and probably could handle more as well. This is probably why it is more expensive. As my grandfather used to say, you get what you pay for. I will purchasing the PT5 come spring. Hopefully, I won't have to wait 6 months or longer to get it.

Weekender

Equipment
Dec 28, 2021
KubotaL6060%

Wish me luck.
Thanks for the tips! I'll look forward to your follow up. -Weekender