Blow-by vent?

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
My tired little B7100 has more blow-by than ideal. When things cool down the fall, I may determine if it's the valves or rings and rebuild it IF it turns out to be an otherwise worthy little tractor. But it still runs fine for now, and in the mean time, I would like to get a bit more control on the blow-by.

It appears that there is a vent tube attached to the top of the head on the forward end just behind the water neck for the upper radiator hose. It's quite stiff, goes down the front, and disappears under the starter. I'll have to pull the hood and side panel to see exactly where it goes. But just below that I get quite a bit of engine oil running down on the FEL frame and dripping all over the place. I don't mind the tired paint, or the dents, or any of the various cosmetic blemishes. I want a tractor that does work I need done, period. But I can't stand that kind of oil mess.

So the main question, is that the vent line like I think it is. If so, I'll just run it down clear of the FEL frame so it can drip from one location instead of over 4 square foot area as it builds an ever larger clod of oil/dirt grime.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
See if you can post up a picture. There is a vent tube that comes of the radiator tank for when that gets hot. Some of the older tractors that tube would whistle like a ear piercing tea kettle to let you know the engine was running hot.

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
What you describe sounds like the crankcase vent.They get old a brittle so if you move it you might need to replace it. I have used heater hose as an easy replacement.

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
I'll second heater hose as a good replacement material for the CCV. No reason at all not to run it down a bit lower so that it drips in a predictable location and minimizes the mess. You may want to rig a catch can just to monitor what rate you are losing oil. If you do this, take care not to let the line droop where oil can accumulate and make sure the open end of the hose is not submerged.