block heater

Saxman

Equipment
L3830 ZD21
Jun 19, 2010
Mt. Vernon, IL
In 2006 when I bought my L3830 I told the dealer I wanted a block heater installed prior to delivery. He said I really didn't need it but if it made me feel better it would be no problem. If used it 4 or 5 times and was glad I had it. Engine started and sounded much better. I still let it warm for a good bit until the HST oil warmed up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flyidaho

Equipment
L 3301 HST
Feb 28, 2017
IDAHO
Don't have to pre heat. Got it, modern diesel engines are amazing. For myself, once below mid 20's or so, I'd no more not plug in then I'd leave my dog out all night. I didn't even know it was up for discussion that plugging in when cold makes life easier, or not, for the engine. My ears tell me it does! Ordering a block heater tonight for my L3301. And adapter.

A quick aside:I just did my first/50 hour oil change, without bothering to read up on it. How hard could it be? Been wrenching all my life......long story short, I ALMOST got suckered in by the two drain plug thing, interesting design, i don't recall any other ICE with TWO drains, now I know.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
If your L3000 is like mine it will start in cold weather very well.

I use 5w30 Amsoil heavy duty diesel oil which is fluid down to -47. I started it one year at -11 and didn't even use glow plugs.

That said block heaters are very nice and have to make it easier on everything especially if you're not using synthetic fluids.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
Paul and JimmytheGeek,
I tried cell phone calls and texts and it seemed to work with no problem from where I would mount the receiver and I also went around to a few other locations just to make sure. Worst case scenario is it does not work and I would just use the system somewhere else, neat idea so thanks for the suggestion. Hard to imagine pushing a button and having a warm cab at -30 degrees as soon as I get in, I was happy just getting out of the wind, lol.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
You guys might like a WEMO switch as well. If you have wifi it will work with your smart phone. Fully programmable or work it manually. Got mine a Home Depot for like $40.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
You guys might like a WEMO switch as well. If you have wifi it will work with your smart phone. Fully programmable or work it manually. Got mine a Home Depot for like $40.
Neat product but my barn is 250' away and don't think my router wifi has that much range.

pinestump

Equipment
Grand L4060
Dec 12, 2014
Yooper Mich,
I am about to buy a new L4060 and I think after all I heard for the money is to have the dealer install a heater and help those -20° plus mornings.
Thanks

flyidaho

Equipment
L 3301 HST
Feb 28, 2017
IDAHO
Mine is on the way for my L3301. $80.00 with the needed adapter including shipping. Let us know what your dealer charges?

Ike

Equipment
Kubota L 3301, Farmall Cub. JD B. Ferguson TE 20
Jul 18, 2015
Mich
My 3301 came with a block heater installed. The dealer said they install them on all the tractors they sell. The way mine started last winter I can see why. I don't think that if it gets -20 mine will start without the heater. Mine sits in a pole barn which is unheated

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
I used one of the remote controlled outlets that are marketed to turn Christmas lights on and off.
Which one do you use? There was another thread on this subject and several were mentioned. Range was my concern, one option had a 300' range and that was the most I have found.
It was actually earlier in this thread, lol, must be getting confused in my old age.

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
My shed is a little over 100' from the house but 3x that may be a stretch. Only way I know to check is see if your phone can get wifi out there. If it does then the switch should work.

They make range extenders that are pretty cheap if that helps.

flyidaho

Equipment
L 3301 HST
Feb 28, 2017
IDAHO
It took about 20 minutes to install my block heater, half of that was draining out the coolant first, into a clean container, so I could dump it back in when finished. I always route the extension cord across the seat, so I can't forget to unplug it! Like my last tractor, I'll only use it when it's below 25 or so, just because it makes me feel better, as the thing starts so good anyways.

War Eagle

Equipment
2012 B3000HSDC and Allis Chalmer 5020
Jan 15, 2017
Nampa, Idaho
Which one do you use? There was another thread on this subject and several were mentioned. Range was my concern, one option had a 300' range and that was the most I have found.
It was actually earlier in this thread, lol, must be getting confused in my old age.
I use the Skylink model identified earlier in this post. The directions state it has a 500 foot range.

My tractor is parked about 120 feet from my house and it is parked on the outside of my detached garage (in other words the garage stands between the house and tractor parking location).

I stand inside of my home and press the remote and the signal travels through 4-2x6 insulated walls (with siding) before it can access the tractor and the remote works fine in those conditions.

I was a little skeptical that it would work, but it came through with flying colors.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
I use the Skylink model identified earlier in this post. The directions state it has a 500 foot range.

I took Paul's advice and ordered the same Skylink models because of the range. It should be here any time so looking forward to installing it and trying it out.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
Got my Skylink remote recepticle and transmitter installed. Almost 300' and metal barn. Found the sweet spot where it will work consistently from the bedroom and it works great from the deck. For under $50 quite a convenience. Many thanks to Paul for the info.