Block heater installation

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
HI Folks,
New Kubota owner here. I just bought an 04 L4630 from a guy in Florida.
Now that it is in the snow belt I want to install a block heater.
Anybody have tips advice etc on installation?
I expect to be here a lot since this is my first tractor and obviously my first Kubota.
Thanks
Andrew

stuart

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7001 with loader & tiller, 3 point hitch and 4' rear blade
Aug 9, 2009
Aldergrove, BC, Canada
Two points for your consideration
- there were a few threads about this last winter
- I use a magnetic unit, as it does not get that cold here. I can attach and plug it in when needed, Its just a matter of finding the best location, I use the oil pan, as its the only steel area flat and large enough.

Orangefox40

Equipment
B7200HSD_FEL+Blade, 1986
Jan 2, 2010
Haliburton, Ontario, Canada
My B7200 has a block heater and it is located on tyhe right side frost plug just behind the front wheel assembly. There are thousands of different models out there so if I were you I would buy the right model for your Kub from your Kub Dealer. They will cost more but at least you will have the one intended for your machine. The Magnets one work but the heat loss is tremendous and increases the hydro costs.

DJG

Equipment
2007 B7800 LA402 FEL
Aug 1, 2010
Ann Arbor, MI
My B7200 has a block heater and it is located on tyhe right side frost plug just behind the front wheel assembly. There are thousands of different models out there so if I were you I would buy the right model for your Kub from your Kub Dealer. They will cost more but at least you will have the one intended for your machine. The Magnets one work but the heat loss is tremendous and increases the hydro costs.
I just spoke with my Kubota dealer and they said if I'm going to run the tractor monthly during the winter, I don't need a block heater at all. That the glow plug will be enough to get it started. Anybody have an opinion on that?

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
Having now had single digit temps, the Kubota started easily after 2 glow cycles and a slightly increased idle speed. So a block heater now seems unnecessary

nsmitchell

Equipment
L1-38, loader, backhoe, plough, cultivator, Wood chipper
http://padheater.com/

I am going to install this type of heater. I am currently working up in Northwest Territories and all of the equipment operators and vehicles use these. When you go out to start your truck the vehicle is already at operating temp. I know farmers who install these on hydraulic reservoirs to heat up the hydraulics as well. I am putting them on my L1-38 when I get home this week.

DJG

Equipment
2007 B7800 LA402 FEL
Aug 1, 2010
Ann Arbor, MI
Thanks, fruitcakesa and nsmitchell. I now have recommendations both ways.
I know the block heater would help, but the nearest electricity to my shed is 175' away, so I'll try this winter with only the glow plug and I'll report back. If the glow plug isn't enough, it'll be time for a long extension cord.

Marty394

Equipment
L3010 w/ Cab, RCR 1560, RB 1584, SMC Loader, KK II 60" Gear Drive Tiller
Feb 28, 2010
Wisconsin
My L3010 has a factory block heater, but I've never had to use it. It starts for me at -15F with a double cycle of the glow plugs. I make sure to push the clutch in to disengage the trans/hyd. pump until the engine smooths out. I also cranks easier with the Amsoil 15w/40 in it.

Bob

DJG

Equipment
2007 B7800 LA402 FEL
Aug 1, 2010
Ann Arbor, MI
Great, Bob. Thanks for that. Hope it doesn't get down to -15F! Double cycle of glow plugs? Does that mean you hold the plug for 20 seconds and then for another 20 seconds before trying to crank the engine? My friend & fellow Kubota owner and GM diesel engineer recommends Moobil Truck & SUV 5W40 or 0W40 Synthetic, or Delvac 1300 Super.
I'm not due for an oil change for another 100 hours.

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
Great, Bob. Thanks for that. Hope it doesn't get down to -15F! Double cycle of glow plugs? Does that mean you hold the plug for 20 seconds and then for another 20 seconds before trying to crank the engine? My friend & fellow Kubota owner and GM diesel engineer recommends Moobil Truck & SUV 5W40 or 0W40 Synthetic, or Delvac 1300 Super.
I'm not due for an oil change for another 100 hours.
That is what I do

Marty394

Equipment
L3010 w/ Cab, RCR 1560, RB 1584, SMC Loader, KK II 60" Gear Drive Tiller
Feb 28, 2010
Wisconsin
On my tractor the glow plugs cycle automaticly when the key is turned to the run position. When the glow plug light goes out you can either crank it or turn the key off, and then back to run to cycle the glow plugs a second time. It has a glow plug controller in the circuit to cycle the glow plugs for a specified amount of time.

Bob

gabeld2

Equipment
M8560, 84" blower, 10' Pusher; Bobcat CT122, Bucket; F250, Western Plow w/Tornad
Jan 22, 2015
Wyckoff, NJ
Good morning tractor gods,

My name is Dave from the Wyckoff family YMCA. We have an M 8560 that we would like to install A block heater on. I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendation for how to install it and where the plug is located on the engine. If you have a parts diagram that would be awesome. Thank you very much and happy tractoring.

-Dave G
Technical Director