Black fuel

nashotah7

Apr 21, 2020
Greendale
Slv 90-2 fuel problems. Brand new Kubota fuel filters and clogged in one weeks time. Checked our fuel tank filter and it was clean. Fuel came out of tank filter clean and red (off road). Syphon the fuel out of machines tank and it came out black. Anyone have any ideas? Machines tank is two months old, with locking cap.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Slv 90-2 fuel problems. Brand new Kubota fuel filters and clogged in one weeks time. Checked our fuel tank filter and it was clean. Fuel came out of tank filter clean and red (off road). Syphon the fuel out of machines tank and it came out black. Anyone have any ideas? Machines tank is two months old, with locking cap.
Flip is probably correct. Has the machine been setting for awhile? If so drain the tank and clean out the tank if you can.Buy a couple of extra fuel filters you will most likely need them. Clean fuel and add an algicide to kill the algae in the tank. You might want to add a diesel fuel dryer to remove any remaining moisture in the system.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
100% algae, drain replace with clean fuel and a biocide/ algicide that is for diesel fuel.
Fill it full and let it sit for a day or two and it will be gone.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
If you remove the left-hand rear cleanout plate, there is a fuel tank drain hose. It's there to drain water off the bottom of the fuel tank periodically. If you don't keep it drained, you will get algae growing in the tank.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Do you mean the fuel tank was replaced with a new one two months ago?

It sounds like you put good fuel in a new tank and it somehow turned black and clogged your filters.

If the tank was new, perhaps there was something in it that caused the issue. Was the tank inspected/cleaned before installation? Could some coating on the inside have been dissolved by the fuel?

If the tank is not new the algae assessment may be right on, especially if you added your clean fuel to bad.

Another thought: Could somebody be messing with you? Could some contaminate have been put into the tank by anyone?

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
just to add to what others are saying - and I agree with them that it sounds 100% like diesel sludge - typically caused by diesel sitting for extended period of time in the tank or in storage. What I would add however is to make a routine out of adding a biocide to every fuel up. I do this now with my new kubota. Every fill up I add a biocide and a cetane booster. The biocide literally takes like 1 ounce or so for 10 gallons, so one bottle lasts a long time. I use a syringe to just suck up the amount needed the squirt it into the diesel storage tank before fueling. Its super easy, cheap, and good insurance against the kind of issue you are facing right now. It will prevent the formation and growth of this sludge/algae. If you dont want to do this, just try to be mindful of your fuel sitting for long periods of time unused, or of getting diesel at a fuel station that perhaps isnt selling a lot of diesel, thus meaning the diesel sits in underground tanks for extended periods.

Cumbres

Equipment
B2910
Jun 4, 2019
Andale, KS
I have read about algea issues in diesels for a long time but have never run into it myself, thankfully. But in reading the recommendation for adding biocide I wondered if my habit of adding Powerservice to most of my diesel fuel is helping to protect my diesel fuel. My tractor, B2910, is old enough that I don't know if it needs the extra protection in light of the "new" diesel fuel with ultra low sulfur content. I have been told to run something like that in my 2005 Duramax. My 2002 TDI VW I have been told doesn't need it.

So have I been lucky? Or has Powerservice helped? I do not use off road diesel only what I buy at the pump. I do have diesel stored sometimes for 2-4 months in cans waiting to use it.

Thanks!

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
First off, all diesel (ULSD) Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel is the same whether it's marked as off road or on road, the only difference is, off road is dyed red and no road tax is levied on it.

Secondly, all diesel has a percentage of Soybean based 'bio diesel' in it by Federal mandate.

Thirdly, when diesel sits in a storage tank, whether it's at the fuel station or in your bulk tank or in your fuel can or in your fuel tank, it's getting older and the older it gets, the more likely it is attracting moisture and the moisture is what grows algae. Most bulk storage tanks will have some water in the bottom, which is why fuel sticks that they use to check the level are treated with a special coating that shows the water content in the bottom and modern storage tanks have electronic water monitiors built in so the water can be drained out.

Consequently, the best alternative is to add a biocide to ALL your fuel, all the time. Don't take much to prevent an issue. I believe Powerservice has a biocide in it. Not sure. Why I use Bio-Kleen all the time. There are others out there. I've used Caterpillar biocide before but the Bio-Kleen is easier to get and it's all the same stuff, a algae killer.

I learned the hard (and expensive way). It cost me north of a grand to rid my diesel pickup of it and I did the work myself. Had to drop the fuel tanks, drain them, replace the lift pump, replace the sending units and replace the fuel bowl and many filters. At least the filters stopped it from getting to the pump and injectors because if it gets in the pump or injectors it destroys them.

Don't matter to me, I just use it 100% of the time now. Cheap insurance. I turn over my fuel pretty quick as I farm so I'm using quite a bit of diesel, but dor people who don't use a lot, a biocide is like money in the bank.

My 2 cents, take it or leave it, your choice. Your wallet.

Black fuel is algae, plain and simple. Really bad algae is stinky black fuel with chunks.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
100% algae, drain replace with clean fuel and a biocide/ algicide that is for diesel fuel.
Fill it full and let it sit for a day or two and it will be gone.
Wolfman, actually, it won't be gone, it will be dead, but the exoskeletons of the dead organisms will still be there which is why good filtering and changing the filters out is necessary and it's the exoskeletons that ruin pumps and injectors.

Sort of gritty, sandy remains, depending on the severity of the infection....:D

Diesel filters will stop the exoskeletons from getting to the works, but they will clog up so they need to be changed out. How many times is dependent on how bad it is.

nashotah7

Apr 21, 2020
Greendale
Thanks for all the replies. Totally forgot about algae. Yes the tank is 2 months old. Third tank in this machine. I knew it wasn't our fuel. Four excavators, seven dozers, two other skidsteers, ect. and no problems in any of them. Just this machine. Treatment and filters starting tomorrow before it leaves the yard. New filters installed last evening and machine ran fine all day today. Kinda dismayed that the dealer never once mentioned algae, just that it was our fuel. Thanks again all.:)