Binders and Chains or Ratchet Straps

Ridger

Equipment
L3940 HST
Nov 26, 2014
North LA
Since reading some of the posts here about trailering your tractor, I have been going over how I strap my tractor to my trailer. I first realized I was not using Grade 70 chains nor using binders with a high enough working load limit. So now I am considering purchasing new grade 70 chains and binders or going with appropriately rated ratchet straps (at least 3 inches wide). I would like to get your feedback as to what you use to strap your tractor to your trailer and if there are advantages of one over the other. Thank you.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I personally like 10'000 lb straps, less chances of paint damage.
I also like the way I can set them up and tighten them down.
Do check with your States DOT as some states have laws that specify the type of rigging required and how many.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
my toy only travels on my car hauler... so i use the 3" straps & the winch.

chain binder seems a little much for a tiny tractor, now if you got a big boy?

chain binder for sure!

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
Honestly, if you own a 10-35,000 tractor, spend the money on binders and chains. Straps wear out, cut, weather.

A 3000 pound machine bouncing on a trailer at 60 mph causes a lot of energy. Ive seen garden tractors with ratchet straps wiggled loose or cut and flapping like a caution flag behind them. Ive also seen a 5800 pound skid steer riding down the Northway at 70 with nothing holding it to the trailer. DOT loves that...

Redlands

Sep 16, 2016
North Central Oklahoma
Chains and binders used here. Careful use of straps can work but with chains there are no worries about cut straps from abrasion problems.
The same chains are handy for many other uses also.
If your hauling your tractor a lot and it does not have a easy place to hook your choice of tie downs then spend a bit of time and rig it so that it does.

Be sure to get a combination winch bar for the binder handles. Makes binder use safer and less strain. Their usually less than $30 and well worth it !

Last edited:

Ridger

Equipment
L3940 HST
Nov 26, 2014
North LA
Thanks for the responses and for the photo of the winch bar. Redlands, how do you have your tractor rigged for hauling?

Kurtee

Equipment
BX2660, BX2680 cab, JD 2032R, Honda 5518, JD X590, JD X739
Oct 3, 2013
Nicollet, mn
my toy only travels on my car hauler... so i use the 3" straps & the winch.

chain binder seems a little much for a tiny tractor, now if you got a big boy?

chain binder for sure!
I would not recommend to use a winch to secure a load. A winch is designed for pulling. The use of a winch for securing can and will damage a winch. Chains and binders are cheaper than replacing a winch. 5/16" chain is common in the transportation industry and can be had relatively cheap if you shop around. 1/4" is available and is easier to handle and store if you want to spend the money as it is more than 5/16". If you are trailering you equipment on regular basis you can install attachment points such as D rings to make it easier to tie it down. Quality chains if taken care of are a lifetime investment, I cannot say the same for straps. Bear in mind that if the chain marking is illegible or the tag is missing from the strap the law enforcement people will use the lowest rating in their book which can be an issue. Also think about the safety chains on your trailer which are required. They are required to be equal or greater than the trailer and the load. The difference between the load securement chains is the working load limit is used for securement and the breaking strength is used for the safety chains. Breaking strength is 3 times the WLL. Load securement is required to be 50% greater than the load. 1000 lb load needs 1500 of chains. Wheeled loads require cross chaining to prevent chain breaking as it allows movement. 2 chains diagonally at front and 2 chains diagonally at rear.

L5460

Equipment
L5460, FEL, BH92, Rear Snowblower
Nov 8, 2016
Mb, Canada
I've never hauled my tractor yet, but I have hauled cars and trucks.

I use grade 70 chains crossed in the rear with load binders and proper binder retainer clips. I used nylon ratchet tie downs crossed on the front.

My reasoning is the massive potential for a forward load under extreme braking, or a collision puts the chains to work. The straps are there to add tension to the chains so there isn't any play, basically a preload. Acceleration forces will never equal braking forces.

PW1967

Equipment
1993 kubota b2150hsd, fel, back hoe, log spliter
Aug 11, 2016
colorado
always use the basic X pattern when binding your equipment down, and it wont move on you, meaning 1 binder for each corner, the reasoning behind that is if one binder ever comes loose you still have the one on the adjacent corner holding it, also making sure binders or chains are secured to trailer against any forward or rearward movement.

dot regs also require any attachment to be lowered to deck and properly secured, usually on this smaller equipment one strap or chain over the loader bucket, and if have any thing on the rear, like a back hoe or mower would require 1 binder also.....hope this helps. be safe

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
I would not recommend to use a winch to secure a load. A winch is designed for pulling. The use of a winch for securing can and will damage a winch. Chains and binders are cheaper than replacing a winch.
let me clear that up for you..

i do diagonal 3" straps (4 ways) as my tie downs/anchors... on 6,000lb d-rings & then use the 10,000lb winch as a safety chain.

if a 1,100lb tractor breaks loose from those & a 10,000lb winch? i'll have more problems to worry about then replacing the winch... :D

as stated: if its something heavy... we use chain binders.