Binder chain question

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Questions posted to this Forum are by definition not stupid. And we're all rookies in some way.

Poster mentions making a 400-mile trip 3 or 4 times a summer. Not something I'd want to do but to each their own.

For a trip like that trailering a tractor there is a way to be certain your chain binders are holding.

Step 1 is to make absolutely certain you have an air compressor at both ends of the trip.

Load the machine for transport and get all chains hooked loosely. Then let half the air out of all tires. Bind the unit down just as tight as you can. If using flip-over or eccentric load binders tie the handles with wire. Refill tires to rated pressure after machine is fully tied down.

At the other end of the trip, release tire pressure, release chains, refill tires, go to work.

During the trip, the chains will have been pulled so tight by the tire pressure you won't need to worry about things coming loose. By the same token, you won't get those chains loose without letting some air out.

Please post back your continuing experiences so we may all learn.

Reactions: 1 user

DocGP

Sep 17, 2014
SE TX
Please post back your continuing experiences so we may all learn.
Well, first trip I had 4 grade 70 chains and 4 ratchet type load binders and 2 of the old type. I was able to use one 20' chain up front to secure both corners with loose chain in between, and the same on the back (basically the 20' chain is long enough to use it like 2 separate chains). I used one of the ratchet binders on each corner of the tractor and one of the old ones to secure the loader and the backhoe bucket. Stopped after about 30 min and checked. Added a few clicks to each ratchet binder, then checked a couple more times and nothing had loosened at all. Made the trip just great.

Will have to make this trip for a few years. Family farm 220 miles away from permanent residence. Hopefully will have enough cash before too many years to pick up another little tractor and I can stop all this hauling. This is also the reason I have elected to forgo the weighted tires at this time. Don't need to haul all that extra weight (plus I figure the hoe will counterbalance somewhat).

Doc