BH65 use with Water Ballast in Rear Tires

grol2011

Equipment
B2620, LA364, BH65, ECHO SC5540, LP RCR1248, LP RTA1242
Oct 31, 2011
Penryn, CA
Took delivery of B2620 with LA364 and BH65 on it two weeks ago. Dealer water loaded rear tires for ballast to operate on limited slopes on our place.

Reading BH65 manual and came across warning to remove water ballast from rear tires before attaching and operating BH65. Thinking the water (aprox 200lbs per tire?) along with BH overweight rear of machine increasing risk of tipping backwards on steep slopes.

BH use will be 10-15% of total time on machine. Would like to keep water/ballast in rear tires to keep traction on wet grass for use with other rear implements but don't want to have to remove (don't know how at present) water from rears every time I hook up the BH65.

Does anyone have experience with this issue and guidance on how serious of a safety concern this is?

Thanks!

smog

Equipment
B7200HST, diy 3pt forks, diy 3pt blade, 3pt mower, diy hyd rotary broom
Oct 23, 2011
Montreal
www.northernliftgates.com
Thinking the water (aprox 200lbs per tire?) along with BH overweight rear of machine increasing risk of tipping backwards on steep slopes.
the pivot point is the rear axle, the liquid in the tires have nothing to do with an increased risk of flipping it backward.

it could be related to the backhoe weight + the tire ballasts will add too much traction and may twist the axles instead of slipping but I seriously doubt it. Or it could be related to the braking system not strong enough to stop the inertia from the liquid + the backhoe weight.. but I seriously doubt it.

leave the liquid in the tires and use your brain while driving it and you'll be fine.

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
I'd guess the ballast issue relates more to using the hoe attachment. They probably would rather not have that extra weight hanging on the axles, housings and hoe mounts while the outriggers are extended and the tractor is suspended during operation of the hoe. It would also make the outrigger pads more likely to sink in unnecessarily (lot of extra weight on a small area when they're extended), and, the extra dead weight makes it more difficult to "help" yourself out with the hoe when you're stuck. Might be best to use a ballast box while the hoe is off except that interferes with rear implement use.

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
I have used balasted plus wheel weights on my B7100 with a Woods BH750 backhoe for many years with no problems. I don't think you will have any problems.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
You could always add some suite case weights under the front end loader for extra balance if it makes you feel better.

IDKUBOTA

Equipment
L3800DT/FEL/BH77 and others
Dec 16, 2012
Latah County, ID
Not to dredge up an old post (pun intended), but I don't think that this question was answered by more than opinion. I was wondering if Service Dept Vic could chime in on this question with Kubota information. I too have ballasted tires from the dealer and they sold me a BH77 and delivered it on the tractor. I am going to be using it this weekend and re-reading the operator manual brought this question back to mind. I will be on an incline digging up well established wild roses that the loader barely touches.

IDK