BH 70 safety pins

GSD-Keegan

Equipment
B2601 with Fel and Bh70 backhoe
Mar 6, 2021
Ontario, Canada
Got my B2601 with backhoe bh70. The bh has two safety or travel pins. One to hold the boom up and the other to hold it straight. The manual doesn't say much about these pins except to use them when transporting tractor. Do you guys use these pins when the tractor is parked to stop the leak down of the bucket? Or simply lower the bucket to a resting position when parked. I seem to have difficulty trying to find the sweet spot when I want to remove the pins for bh work.

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
I pretty much use those pins at all times unless I'm actively using the backhoe. I know that doesn't exactly answer your question, but I found I can pluck them in and out pretty easily (I stand next to the BH not sitting on the seat to insert/remove them, tractor at idle so the BH moves slowly).

Do note, that if you are trailering the tractor, I'm fairly certain you are supposed to remove the pins, and rest the BH bucket down on the trailer and strap it down.

Reactions: 4 users

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I too have them in all the time - except when using BH

I can tell you stories of forgetting to put them BACK in and moving around with full load in FEL .......

Reactions: 1 users

GSD-Keegan

Equipment
Mar 6, 2021
Ontario, Canada
I too have them in all the time - except when using BH

I can tell you stories of forgetting to put them BACK in and moving around with full load in FEL .......
I'm guessing the bh bucket dropped and you tore up some nice sod?

Reactions: 1 user

marrmanu

Equipment
B2620 3pt chipper, box blade, post hole auger, custom 3pt chain box with hooks h
Jan 16, 2021
usa
I put together a dolly to store my BH65 when I remove it. One time I did not have the boom pin in and came back later to find it had slipped off the dolly due to leak down. :oops:
If you think it is hard to get the boom pin in just wait till you remove/insert the pins for the BH mounts!

Reactions: 1 user

Equipment
B2601 TLB
Feb 22, 2021
Deerfield, NJ
I leave them in except when using the back hoe or trailering. When trailering, the swing stays in and the dipper comes out.

Reactions: 1 users

GSD-Keegan

Equipment
Mar 6, 2021
Ontario, Canada
Thanks guys. The main reason I posted this question is because I noticed a bracket that seems to have shifted a small amount (going by paint marks). There is a bracket with 4 bolts bolted to the boom for the in/out lock pin. It appears to have shifted sideways. However this pin does not lock sideways right to left motion of the boom. I was thinking it moved when I was trying to find the sweet spot to pull out the pin but that's not making any sense as the force on this pin and bracket is only in and out? I always have the engine at idle and carefully try to manipulate the bh to remove the pins. Curious why this bracket shifted?