Best way to level land with a sub compact BX23s?

OrangePower

Equipment
A cute little rinky dinky 2021 BX23s
Sep 15, 2021
VA
This will be a little lengthy just so everyone knows where my thinking is, good and bad.

After seeing tractors scoop virgin earth, and knowing all the other projects I could use a tractor for, I went ahead and got myself a little 23s . I have to dig some holes for in ground water tanks, make a septic field, dig the hole for a septic tank, maybe a propane tank ( I like the idea of the explosion going UP, in case something happens, replace the culvert pipe at the road thats half collapsed, dig up/out a 12 foot tree stump(the dirt around it) make a road t the back of my 4 acre property, make a new driveway after the culvert pipe replacement re route a stream and as you reader/lurkers know, regrade my property.

Now, here is the tricky part. From all the rentals and days I would need from the rentals for my projects, it only made sense to buy a tractor and sell when done in 3 years or so (probably all done in the next 365 days). When I mentioned flattening out my property, a few people pitched in and said to just get someone to do it. Problem with that (me being foolish before hand, but thats hearsay now) is that if I spend $2k for someone else to do it, then it kind of negates me purchasing the tractor (I am thinking financially, not "handy"). So, now I have a $25k tractor I kind of "need" to make it work for me, if not, it was a waste of money :( .

So, the time came for its arrival. It rained full blast the day I got it and I have been waiting for it for a year, so, needless to say, my yard is a mud pit just driving it around. I have a 2 lane gravel parking spot thats angled, so, I attacked that making even more of a mess, but what the heck, it was seat time and I was a happy duck! Heck, I even went to walmart a few days earlier and got a full wet suit just for the onslaught of rain, that aint gonna stop ME, lol. I learned a lot that day. Seems the tractor will do about 90% of what I expected it to do. Although it was slippery out there, I expected it to bite (traction) a little more and lift a little more. Also didnt steer through the mud the way I thought it would. Okay, so, it was a learning curve I adapted to, to extract as much as I could out of every maneuver. What I was left with though was that unless the ground is 85% dry for max traction/digging softness, no way I am gonna be able to skim the surface like I foolishly planned. There are things I could do to make it work, but, now is the time to work smart!

With that being said, the Box Blade was invented and advised. I looked into them, and, if I have any chance at leveling out the yard before x-mas 2023, I best be grabbing a box blade and giving that a whirl. Next question is how to go about it? Open yard is about 60ft x 140-60ish ft. Total area will be around 200/300x200/300ft when done, but, need to work on the open area first. Sometimes I dont get things, so, lets try this example. Lets take a baseball diamond and drop off 4th base so you have 3 bases, make it a rectangle, so, you have Home, 1st, 2nd and 3rd base, then back to home. Standing at home base, looking at 3rd base its "pretty" level. As you go to the far end of 1st, its about 2.5ft higher (approx 140ft out) than home, and 2nd base goes up to 3ft peak (60ft away) from 1st base.

How would I cut that all down properly to where its level AND it is ALL 8" (cinderblock height) lower than what home and 3rd started out as? Do I just chew on the corner of 2nd base area with the BB til it is even with 1st base area, then go back and forth between 1st and 2nd til it is somewhat even and then start taking out the whole area until home and third are/is cut down 8" (where it needs to be)? 2) Backhoe 2nd base area to 1st base level and box blade it from there, or? Did that even make sense as an example?

Reactions: 1 users

OrangePower

Equipment
Sep 15, 2021
VA
Oh, no, I lost my very first reader, lol o_O

Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
“Now, here is the tricky part. From all the rentals and days I would need from the rentals for my projects, it only made sense to buy a tractor and sell when done in 3 years or so (probably all done in the next 365 days).”

Yes, You truly will be a magician if you can get that much done by yourself with the BX in three years, let alone 365 days!

Also once you see how handy actually the tractor you bought is to have, you may have difficulty selling it. Not because there aren’t buyers but more likely because you won’t want to let go of it!

Reactions: 2 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
This will be a little lengthy just so everyone knows where my thinking is, good and bad.

After seeing tractors scoop virgin earth, and knowing all the other projects I could use a tractor for, I went ahead and got myself a little 23s . I have to dig some holes for in ground water tanks, make a septic field, dig the hole for a septic tank, maybe a propane tank ( I like the idea of the explosion going UP, in case something happens, replace the culvert pipe at the road thats half collapsed, dig up/out a 12 foot tree stump(the dirt around it) make a road t the back of my 4 acre property, make a new driveway after the culvert pipe replacement re route a stream and as you reader/lurkers know, regrade my property.

Now, here is the tricky part. From all the rentals and days I would need from the rentals for my projects, it only made sense to buy a tractor and sell when done in 3 years or so (probably all done in the next 365 days). When I mentioned flattening out my property, a few people pitched in and said to just get someone to do it. Problem with that (me being foolish before hand, but thats hearsay now) is that if I spend $2k for someone else to do it, then it kind of negates me purchasing the tractor (I am thinking financially, not "handy"). So, now I have a $25k tractor I kind of "need" to make it work for me, if not, it was a waste of money :( .

So, the time came for its arrival. It rained full blast the day I got it and I have been waiting for it for a year, so, needless to say, my yard is a mud pit just driving it around. I have a 2 lane gravel parking spot thats angled, so, I attacked that making even more of a mess, but what the heck, it was seat time and I was a happy duck! Heck, I even went to walmart a few days earlier and got a full wet suit just for the onslaught of rain, that aint gonna stop ME, lol. I learned a lot that day. Seems the tractor will do about 90% of what I expected it to do. Although it was slippery out there, I expected it to bite (traction) a little more and lift a little more. Also didnt steer through the mud the way I thought it would. Okay, so, it was a learning curve I adapted to, to extract as much as I could out of every maneuver. What I was left with though was that unless the ground is 85% dry for max traction/digging softness, no way I am gonna be able to skim the surface like I foolishly planned. There are things I could do to make it work, but, now is the time to work smart!

With that being said, the Box Blade was invented and advised. I looked into them, and, if I have any chance at leveling out the yard before x-mas 2023, I best be grabbing a box blade and giving that a whirl. Next question is how to go about it? Open yard is about 60ft x 140-60ish ft. Total area will be around 200/300x200/300ft when done, but, need to work on the open area first. Sometimes I dont get things, so, lets try this example. Lets take a baseball diamond and drop off 4th base so you have 3 bases, make it a rectangle, so, you have Home, 1st, 2nd and 3rd base, then back to home. Standing at home base, looking at 3rd base its "pretty" level. As you go to the far end of 1st, its about 2.5ft higher (approx 140ft out) than home, and 2nd base goes up to 3ft peak (60ft away) from 1st base.

How would I cut that all down properly to where its level AND it is ALL 8" (cinderblock height) lower than what home and 3rd started out as? Do I just chew on the corner of 2nd base area with the BB til it is even with 1st base area, then go back and forth between 1st and 2nd til it is somewhat even and then start taking out the whole area until home and third are/is cut down 8" (where it needs to be)? 2) Backhoe 2nd base area to 1st base level and box blade it from there, or? Did that even make sense as an example?
You bought a cute/fun/sweet little machine.
Keep it!
Now: Go hire someone with the properly sized machines/equipment to do your described jobs!

Reactions: 2 users

Springer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680 LA344S EA 55" Grapple, Stump Bucket 48 Box grader, Disc Harrow
Jul 21, 2021
Tiger, GA
In a way, you sound like me. We recently moved into the mountains out in the middle of nowhere, on 18 acres. I have national forest on 3 sides and an old cemetery on the other.
I bought a brand new BX last June, right after moving up here. Of the 18, about 6 acres are navigable and of the 6 about 4 is our garden.
The garden slopes pretty steep on the one side. I wanted to make it more usable, and like you, I was thinking of dragging the high side down to lift up the low side and after about a days work, I changed my plan. Moving several feet of earth and rock spread out over an acre is not for a BX. Besides, I was ripping up all my top-soil. So I went with terraces. I basically cut two roads into the side of the hill and lines them with railroad ties that the previous owner left behind. The ties are anchored with still rods and I could not be happier. It opened up probably another two acres to garden and it looks beautiful.
The grandson love it for the go-cart too!

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
FWIW, I have leveled 2 spots (35x35 feet tractor shed and 16 x32 feet - wife's she shed); the total difference/slope was about 1.5 feet on both sites. I leveled them in a day each (1/2 day to rough level, and then 1/2 day the next day to reach final level). Both sites were hard clay with rocks, and they both required extensive digging with the FEL followed by lots of box blade. Additionally, I filled each site with gravel (gravel covers many imperfections).

From my limited experience, you should plan on lots of FEL digging, box blading and fill dirt.

I would also recommend a Bosch self-leveling laser kit - a timesaver you can use by yourself.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
You bought a cute/fun/sweet little machine.
Keep it!
Now: Go hire someone with the properly sized machines/equipment to do your described jobs!
Yep. A BX is great for lawn maintenance; not so much for heavy earth moving.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
FWIW, I have leveled 2 spots (35x35 feet tractor shed and 16 x32 feet - wife's she shed); the total difference/slope was about 1.5 feet on both sites. I leveled them in a day each (1/2 day to rough level, and then 1/2 day the next day to reach final level). Both sites were hard clay with rocks, and they both required extensive digging with the FEL followed by lots of box blade. Additionally, I filled each site with gravel (gravel covers many imperfections).

From my limited experience, you should plan on lots of FEL digging, box blading and fill dirt.

I would also recommend a Bosch self-leveling laser kit - a timesaver you can use by yourself.
Totally agree with all this ^^

It is mind numbing to me when I read tractor owners in this community suggest HIRING OUT WORK that the tractor is perfectly capable of doing with the right implements and time.

I'll add, get a toothbar, do what elliot said and enjoy. You could also use a tiller if you felt like it.

Reactions: 3 users

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

"Both sites were hard clay with rocks, and they both required extensive digging with the FEL", ...... NOT the design intended use for a very small FEL machine.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT

It is mind numbing to me when I read tractor owners in this community suggest HIRING OUT WORK that the tractor is perfectly capable of doing with the right implements and time.

I'll add, get a toothbar, do what elliot said and enjoy. You could also use a tiller if you felt like it.
It is common sense to hire out work unless you have the expertise and the proper equipment to do the job correctly. If you don't have the expertise, then go to work as a laborer on a construction site, and see what an experienced operator can do with the proper equipment in just one day. With any luck, you might even learn something about earthmoving, and that it requires both talent and experience. If the machine isn't up to the tasks that are expected of it, then mechanical failure will result, which will not be covered by the warranty. It is going to cost you a lot of money to repair the tractor, and then what are you going to do? Go back to your old ways of abusing the equipment or buying a bigger piece of equipment? Even if you get the larger piece of equipment, you still haven't developed the expertise to use it. The finest tools in the world are useless unless you have the knowledge to use them properly. Buy yourself a John Deere bulldozer which will have what it needs to do the job, but you will spend a lot of time learning how to use it properly, or you can just spend a little money and rent one with an experienced operator that will accomplish what is needed in a day or two. Post some pictures of your project each day you work on it, and show us what you have accomplished in 8 hours. I will bet that after a week of making a mess of the property, that you will look back and see that we are giving you good advice to hire it out.
Do you change your own tires, do bodywork on your own car, do your own engine repairs, or do you leave that to the people that are trained to do such tasks?

Elliott in GA

Equipment
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia

I did have the Piranha tooth bar for the second site, and it did help quite a bit. Good advice.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
dude, its lawn, we're not launching rockets or landing airplanes here. A BX isnt gonna change 3 feet of grade but it certainly can shave off some grade, spread fill/ soil. I can show you plenty of pictures where my B2601 finish leveled an acre or two of yards using the bb, fill, and topsoil, making pads, making driveways, but thats not what this thread is about.

One project, spreading 300 tons took about two and a half days. I didnt go to dirt college, but it turned out flat, drained and nothing broke, shocking.

Last edited:

Elliott in GA

Equipment
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
"Both sites were hard clay with rocks, and they both required extensive digging with the FEL", ...... NOT the design intended use for a very small FEL machine.
My advice was intended as a cautionary example of what was required on two much smaller scale projects. I only had to deal with 1.5 feet of difference in a much smaller area, and I have a significantly bigger (no - it is not a big tractor) tractor.

However, can the OP complete his task with his BX? It depends. To me, it mostly depends on three things: the time the OP has to devote to the project, the soil the OP is working (it could be mostly sand or rich black soil with no rocks) and almost as importantly how much fill dirt the OP will use.

If the OP has hard clay with rocks and does not use fill dirt, it will be an extremely arduous task that will take a very, very long time to complete. On the other hand, if the OP is dealing with sandy soil and uses fill dirt, it could be done in fewer than 10 weekends.

OrangePower

Equipment
Sep 15, 2021
VA
Hey all.... Well, to give a little more insight, I am new, and, I will admit I dont know what I am doing.....YET! Key notes YET!! The idea, this being my first TLB, you gotta learn somewhere, sometime. Either my equipment or someone elses. I would hate to break something, but, how else are you going to learn? With the Backhoe, i have learned where the digging ends and the tractor struggling begins. I dont kill the backhoe and more or move the tractor all over the place. Just takes time and practice. Same thing with the FEL. Only way to learn how it skims, digs in, etc, it to learn it. I can proudly say I can learn anything, but, agina, gonna take some time.

Reading the posts, my responses are that I will be getting a survey gun/level and rod, going around every25 feet or so taking elevation levels and plotting them down. Then I will know how much to dig. I want to be outdoors and do things on the tractor. If I get a box blade and dont make decent results in a months time of playing, I will reconsider. Minimun I need to do with the tractor is grade at least 20ft off the house with a proper slope. Ground is 1-2 ft of blackjack, 2ft of red clayish/sandy type stuff and then grey sadny type stuff.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so, let me add 2 thousand words to ths post, lol. pic 1 is the tree I am removing so you can see the soil. nd pic is the area and example I was trying to explain.

tree.jpg

Yaaaard - 2.jpg

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
Yup.
Yup.
Yup.
Not sure about the backhoe part, but once you're pulling box-blades-full of earth from a to b for a few hours this will all be a lot clearer for you.
Good luck have fun!

OrangePower

Equipment
Sep 15, 2021
VA
Just a side note. On the other side of the truck is a death drop off that needs to be filled, so, I will not need to go far with the extra dirt.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Well you've got a fine piece of equipment that WILL accomplish what you want, providing you have the time and patience to learn the skills, it WILL do it all for you.
No, it won't be 'done in a day'...to do that you need to shell out 250K for the 'right' equipment. You will however be able to grade and move and whatever else you want.
Making a map and shooting grades is a GREAT idea ! Please pass that along to the City IDIOTS who redid two roads here, flooding one property. At NO time did I ever see a tape measure, level, transit,theodolite,compass or one of them all-in-one fancy GPS 'transits'.
Marking out 'sections', cutting 'level/grade' marks then removing 'inbetween' material does work well, especially for a smaller machine.
if possible, plan ahead, maybe job 'c' should be done before job 'a', as it allows 'b' to get done faster or easier.
While I've only had my BX23S for 3 years, it has almost 700 hrs on it, 90% doing jobs for neighbours.
Bottom line. If you use what you have, NOT ABUSE it, you'll get the job done, have FUN doing it, and won't break anything. As you increase you skills ,you'll be able to do the next job better and faster.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Just a side note. On the other side of the truck is a death drop off that needs to be filled, so, I will not need to go far with the extra dirt.
It is a good idea to take the top soil off first and pile it up somewhere to use later, then move the subsoil as needed, and recover with your saved top soil as the last step.

Just something I did not think to do myself in the beginning...

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
It is a good idea to take the top soil off first and pile it up somewhere to use later, then move the subsoil as needed, and recover with your saved top soil as the last step.

Just something I did not think to do myself in the beginning...
Yup!
A dozer or steel tracked loader will whip out that part of the job in an hour or two, and make a nice neat pile.