Best Socket Set for MX series?

Cut14

Equipment
MX 5400, L245
Mar 11, 2024
Virginia
Seems like every job on the MX5400 requires a bigger metric socket than the last job. Looking for advice on a socket set that will have all the sizes that I'll need to do any job on this tractor. What's the smallest and largest that I'll need? I'm open to specific suggestions on brand and model as well.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
You can spend a lot or a little. Up through 24mm I have several Craftsman sets. Beyond that this is all you should need.

I have an imperial set I bought 30 years ago for half that price and its done everything I asked of it.

Dan

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Seems like every job on the MX5400 requires a bigger metric socket than the last job. Looking for advice on a socket set that will have all the sizes that I'll need to do any job on this tractor. What's the smallest and largest that I'll need? I'm open to specific suggestions on brand and model as well.
I really like Tekton products these days. I own lots of tools from Craftsman, NAPA (the good stuff), Proto, even some Snap-on stuff, but Tekton has proven to be really good, and if you look under "specs" they tell you where their products are made, and it's mostly Taiwan. Tekton has become my go to for most automotive tools.

I bought this set in October of 2022 ... it's a beast.

Reactions: 1 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
At the point where sockets that large are necessary for the job…. I usually find the need to use an impact-wrench sufficiently-often that ordinary sockets don’t survive. Get Impact-Rated Sockets if you buy a large sized set.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
welcome to wrenching. Try doing it for a living. And people wonder why techs need tens (or hundreds) of thousands of dollars worth of tools. Short, mid, deep sockets, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 3/4 drive (sometimes 1" drive), ratchets, flex head ratchets, shorty ratchets, fine tooth or "toothless" ratchets in all drive sizes, extensions in various lengths 1/4, 1/2, 3/8, 3/4 etc. Then torque wrenches, impact wrench to run the sockets via power (assault ratchet). You get the idea.

doing a job at work. Might as well take the toolbox to the job, turn the entire toolbox upside down and dump everything out--because I am needing about everything in the box to do this deal. I hate these kinds of jobs.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
It doesn't matter how many tools you buy and store..the ONE you need will be MIA.

I still have a 1/2deeep 3/8 drv Craftsman socket 'somewhere' in the garage. Lost it for 4 years, FOUND it, 2 weeks late...it 'grew legs'. I KNOW it's in the garage....sigh...

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I have repeatedly maxed my 1/2" drive IR impact wrench out on my cheap standard duty HF Made in China jumbo sockets with zero damage to the sockets.

Same goes for some pretty long pipes slipped over the breaker bar. The only thing that ever got broken was my ankle when a stuck hub suddenly broke free while I was draped over a long cheater bar and I crashed to the floor :mad:

Dan

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I have repeatedly maxed my 1/2" drive IR impact wrench out on my cheap Made in China jumbo sockets with zero damage to the sockets.

Same goes for some pretty long pipes slipped over the breaker bar. The only thing that ever got broken was my ankle when a stuck hub suddenly broke free while I was draped over a long cheater bar and I fell to the floor :mad:

Dan
The large "Horrible Freight" impact sockets have worked for me for MANY years, but I don't use them daily.

Reactions: 1 user

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
Is it possible to have too many tools? Once you remove the fastener or component, then comes all the manufacturer's specialized tools, don't forget bearing heaters, presses, pullers, scrapers, sealants penetrants, impacts, parts washers, solvents, jacks, lifts, welders, and let's not forget all electrical equipment test equipment and all of the consumables you'll need, fuel storage, transfer pumps, waste oil disposal, the list goes on forever. It's safe to assume that if you have a tractor, you have other ancillary equipment to fix/maintain i.e. attachments, trailers, mowers, trucks, cars, house, wells, irrigation and the list goes on forever. Don't forget about your manuals, maintenance records, parts lists, spare parts. Do you ever stop buying stuff to maintain your possession's?

• Love

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Is it possible to have too many tools? Once you remove the fastener or component, then comes all the manufacturer's specialized tools, don't forget bearing heaters, presses, pullers, scrapers, sealants penetrants, impacts, parts washers, solvents, jacks, lifts, welders, and let's not forget all electrical equipment test equipment and all of the consumables you'll need, fuel storage, transfer pumps, waste oil disposal, the list goes on forever. It's safe to assume that if you have a tractor, you have other ancillary equipment to fix/maintain i.e. attachments, trailers, mowers, trucks, cars, house, wells, irrigation and the list goes on forever. Don't forget about your manuals, maintenance records, parts lists, spare parts. Do you ever stop buying stuff to maintain your possession's?
That’s crazy talk 😉
(You might not be wrong either 😳)

Last edited:
  • Haha

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I really like Tekton products these days. I own lots of tools from Craftsman, NAPA (the good stuff), Proto, even some Snap-on stuff, but Tekton has proven to be really good, and if you look under "specs" they tell you where their products are made, and it's mostly Taiwan. Tekton has become my go to for most automotive tools.

I bought this set in October of 2022 ... it's a beast.

+1 on this (y)

I have a set of 1/2" impact sockets from them (and a few other odd's and ends) and they get a fair amount of use. (Not a pro mechanic anymore, but I keep active).

I will say though, that I do not like my Tekton torque wrench........, but the sockets I have, I have been very happy with.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
+1 on this (y)

I have a set of 1/2" impact sockets from them (and a few other odd's and ends) and they get a fair amount of use. (Not a pro mechanic anymore, but I keep active).

I will say though, that I do not like my Tekton torque wrench........, but the sockets I have, I have been very happy with.
What don't you like about your torque wrench? I'm not in need of a new torque wrench at the moment even though my three Craftsman units are at least 20 years old, but would definitely look at Tekton if/when the time comes.

Talking of tools, the DeWalt cordless drill I've had for more than a decade has become problematic so I bought a new brushless DeWalt yesterday. It's so much smaller and "nicer" than my old one. (y)

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
What don't you like about your torque wrench? I'm not in need of a new torque wrench at the moment even though my three Craftsman units are at least 20 years old, but would definitely look at Tekton if/when the time comes.

Talking of tools, the DeWalt cordless drill I've had for more than a decade has become problematic so I bought a new brushless DeWalt yesterday. It's so much smaller and "nicer" than my old one. (y)
I don't like the amount of " backlash" there is in the bottom part that you twist to set the torque.

The "0" mark starts when it is lined up with the 25 on the indicator and I don't have much confidence in it's accuracy from 25 to 75. I would never use it for "critical" applications like "heads" or something, but I do use it for wheel bearings, just to get me in the "ball park".

When I got it, I called them and they basically said, "yea, there's not much we can do about it, that's the way they are"

Sometimes you do get what you pay for.

Last edited:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I don't like the amount of " backlash" there is in the bottom part that you twist to set the torque.

The "0" mark starts when it is lined up with the 25 on the indicator and I don't have much confidence in it's accuracy at from 25 to 75. I would never use it for "critical" applications like "heads" or something, but I do use it for wheel bearings, just to get me in the "ball park".

When I got it, I called them and they basically said, "yea, there's not much we can do about it, that's the way they are"

Sometimes you do get what you pay for.
Tekton has "high end" split beam torque wrenches but they're 2 to 3 times to cost of the micrometer style. All of mine are micrometer style and seem to work well. But without having them calibrated I have no idea as to the accuracy or precision.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
At 83, I still buy tools.
SWAG Heavy Duty Press Brake is on my imminent buy list.
Shouda bought one of those YEARS ago!

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana

johndeerebones

Equipment
B7200 HST-D RC-60-72, L4200 GST MFWD with FEL
Aug 17, 2020
USA
Wrenched for a living (cars and equipment) for years, tools not used often use Harbor Freight. IE angle wrenches. snap on sae or metric were around $4-500, Harbor Freight was $40 bucks for both. 3/4 sockets are random manufactures. Once sockets get that big, most makers are satisfactory. All are chrome, I have a 1/2 impact adapter and have a high torque 1\2 impact. Impacted several. Also it has been far easier to warranty HF tools than Craftsman. If you have a Rural closer, their "Crimson" brand has been ok too. Bought some 10mm sockets, both 1/4 and 3\8, a 15mm 3/8, a 3/4-1 5/16 impact socket, for implement lower link pins, needed the deep socket (they were so seized i torched them), however worked great installing new ones. However definitely get 6pt sockets. Also, good luck getting warranties fulfilled on Amazon and most mail order tools.

Last edited:

Yotekiller

Equipment
Kubota L2502, LP 60" BB, LP pallet forks, 60" KK Tiller, 55" HSI root grapple
Sep 29, 2023
Southern Indiana

Dewalt makes some really good cordless tools. I just picked up their die grinder a month or so ago and love it. I own a ton of their cordless stuff, all 20v.

Reactions: 2 users