best postion for loader when tractor parked?

MarkVII

Equipment
B2100 w/loader
Apr 18, 2011
Troy, MI
Greetings all --

I'm the proud owner of a new-to-me B2100 with an LA301 loader. This is my first tractor, so I'm having to learn a bunch of stuff in a hurry.

What's the best position to put the loader in when parking the tractor? If I put the bucket in a normal position and lower the bucket to the ground, it collects water. OTOH, I can put the bucket in full dump position so it wouldn't collect water, but then there's a BIG length of hydraulic piston out in the weather.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Unfortunately, I don't have the ability to park the tractor inside.

Thanks,
Mark
Troy, MI

bikerdib

Equipment
L4701 with FEL, BH92 backhoe
Oct 5, 2010
Wallis, Texas
I always retract the cylinders. A little water collected in the bucket won't be as big an issue as the cylinders rusting. They won't rust real quickly but if the tractor is parked for a while...

Why take a chance?

wboggs

Equipment
L39 TLB
Apr 9, 2009
Rawlins, WY
Always ground your load.

The bucket doesn't need to be rolled-out all the way, but enough that water runs off. Set the cutting edge on a couple wood blocks in winter so it doesn't freeze to the ground.

Chrome steel is very rust resistant and should take a very long time for any pitting to occur, painted metal on the other hand, not so much.

daniel.ray77

Equipment
1976 Kubota L225DT
Nov 16, 2009
Salt Lake City, Utah
If your tractor must remain outside, pick up a relatively inexpensive plastic tarp that you can easily cover it between uses. Weather is hard on hydraulic hoses and prematurely deteriorates the entire tractor.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
You might look at getting one of those portable carports. It would pay for itself the first year just being able to keep water from getting in critical parts.

meanjean

Equipment
Kubota MX4700
Aug 10, 2010
Hazelridge, Manitoba
My Dad bought me a temporary shelter, built by Shelter Logic.
POS
If you can place it between a garage and some trees then it might last 1 year.
Mine was torn to ribbons in a matter of weeks.

Randyj

Equipment
B9200D / BF350 Kubota Loader / L-4530B Kubota Backhoe w - subframe / LP GS1548
Sep 17, 2009
Northern Indiana
If it's going to set outside for a while, a coat of "fluid film" sprayed on anything you don't want to rust (hydraulic ram) etc. would help.

53dudestoy

Equipment
94 B7100HST-D,FEL
Aug 24, 2010
sw pa
you could scrounge up a plastic drum...cut in half to fit over the bucket.
*shrugs* just a thought.
or...just dump bucket water on your plants.
chrome rams arent cheap.

koppel

Dec 15, 2009
Melbourne,Australia
Hi there,

I leave my loader lowered with rams as far retracted as possible.

BUT the biggest thing you need to be aware of is once you have turned off your machine and walked away; that just maybe, some local kids decide to play around it.

One may happen to be near loader as other kid sits in seat and wiggles levers.

Depending on how you left machine their is a chance loader may just move slightly trapping a child or animal.

So always after turning off your tractor work your hydraulic levers back and forward with brake off and in neutral and let the bucket / loader frame settle by gravity. Then ( providing your not leaving tractor for months ) re-apply parking brakes. I have one tractor that was left by previous owner with brakes applied for 2 years and now its a real job to get the shoes to retract off the drum, enough to repair brakes.

I also lower the 3 point and any other attached implement under non power.

If I am away for a while I will wrap any exposed rams with thick rag thats been soaked in water proofing tallow or grease.

Enjoy your new machine and say safe