best implement for picking up rocks

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I am dong a small project to deal with stream wall erosion. 8 tons of rip-rap (granite rock between 8" and 18" in 'diameter'), basically rock no larger than a man can be expected to pick up. A full load in my little BX25D maxes out its' ability to lift above waist height. 8 tons was 32 trips. Really not a big deal to hand load the bucket as the bucket was right there next to the pile and I dumped very carefully along the edge of the stream. Had the wife roll them to the edge, where I'd pick them up and place them. The bank at the tallest was about 4'. I started in the beginning of May, giving myself until the end of June, anticipating it being hard work. I finished is a week ago.:p

Leaving me to my next project, pulling all the lily pads out of my pond. It is oval, about five acres. The pads extend out about ten feet. I can do about 25 linear feet a day (five buckets in the FEL) using the typical 18" square rake. A larger rake would be impossible to pull, the 18" maxes out this old guys muscles. I am about 1/4 the way done. I'll be completed by the end of June. I wish I had a 'extending landscape rake mounted to the FEL' but being this work has not been done in 15 years, it is extra bad. Next year, I imagine it will take just a few days to do the whole thing instead of letting it go.:eek:

flyingbrass

Equipment
L2350
Feb 6, 2016
Arkansas
lots of good discussion on page 2 and 3 so far, thanks for the good replies, keep them coming. I don't have a skid steer but I do have a CatD3 dozer for the big rocks. I am going to experiment with the landscape rake some this weekend but I don't expect much.