Best grapple for the money for new L6060?

dbchaplin03

Equipment
Kubota L6060
Apr 15, 2020
Fairborn, OH
Good afternoon. This may be the first post I've had on this particular forum. I tried doing some searching and probably know what the answer is but wanted to ask before spending the money.

I'm looking for a Root Rake style grapple for my new L6060. I've looked at the EA Wicked Root and the LP SGC1060. I wasn't impressed with the SGC1060 compared to other grapples I've had in the past. I know you want to keep the weight down on a CUT, i get that but the SGC1060 sure looked like the teeth would be easily bent especially if you were back raking with it. The SGC1560 is much better built but weighs over 800lbs and im afraid that is a lot of weight hanging out there in front of the L6060.

Looked at the 60" root rake from Titan- palletforks . com (i know a Chinese grapple) but I'm just doing research and want to buy the best grapple for the dollar. That one is out of stock and no idea of when it will be back in.

Any other options out there i should be looking at for the money? I'm guessing the EA is the best option but with tax and skid steer flat face quick couplers its almost $3k...

BTW I've owned an EA grapple in the past just not the root rake style. Fit, finish, everything was top notch. But we've moved 11 times in the last 16 years I've been in the military and we couldn't take the tractor and attachments with us back then. I risk that still now which is why I shy away from buying a $3k grapple. Been looking used here in SW Ohio and haven't seen too many used grapples that don't weight 800-1000 lbs.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I'm a fan of the Wicked Root Grapple from EA.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 users

dbchaplin03

Equipment
Kubota L6060
Apr 15, 2020
Fairborn, OH
As is everyone who owns one. I was with the last one i owned a decade ago as well. Fit, finish, craftsmanship, everything about them is fantastic. And they are the perfect weight for this tractor. That is what I'm planning to order but before I pulled the trigger I wanted to ask the question.

I heard good feedback about the Granite Grapple from Rural King built by Dir Dogs or something like that out of Minnesota. But it seems like the only reviews or videos i can really find on the thing are from a guy who is clearly getting paid to advertise their machines and attachments. A 60" would be about $2400 plus tax so i might as well buy the EA in that regard.

Just wanted to see if anything else was out there that I've overlooked.

dbchaplin03

Equipment
Kubota L6060
Apr 15, 2020
Fairborn, OH
https://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/farm-attachment/for-sale/26641257/tomahawk-brush-grapple

Just a quick look at tractorhouse. I do not know anything about them but the price is right if you like the style.
Ironically enough i was just there yesterday even though I didn't buy my tractor from them. Price on that does seem good. Found a dealer of implements, attachments, and truck accessories about 40 mins from here that is a real small, one man shop. He said he can get a real good price from one of his dealers. He sells NAI, CID, and Quick Attach products.

Talked to the Quick Attach company and they recommend their Quick Claw 60". Still a bit heavy at 650ish pounds but it is made of T-1 steel and they said if I ever bought another skid steer it could easily go on there also which is a big plus for me. We'll see what kind of price he can get on that one.

I'm looking at eventually buying an SVL-65 tracked machine for working around our farm when i retire from the Air Force.

Palmettokat

Equipment
M6800, B2710, L6060, Volvo 5 ton excavator and implements.
Apr 21, 2020
South Carolina
Got my L6060 two weeks back. Was buying the Land Pride but the dealer mistakenly sold it. That was a blessing! Not sure the model number of the LP but the price with the tractor was $2500 with a $200 discount by Kubota/LP which meant buying the EA was $150 more but well well worth it when I went backed and carefully looked at the LP. It can not be used to back rake with the teeth, rather has small piece of metal welded on the bottom of tines, nothing near as effective as the EA for back dragging. The LP was 72 inch and the EA is 60 inch but very pleased with the EA.

A couple of things on the EA, the channel hoses run in have sharp corners on the end, like a saw cut and will wear the hoses. Other thing is not huge but still trying to figure out best position it for disconnect it. It will not sit up if closed, will roll over. If you open it fully it is very stable but it has large foot print. Last time removed it tried sitting it up right and it rolled onto it's front. Turned out not to be bad to connect back to it so might be best options. Oh, you can not leave it with upper tines being supported by the cylinders or you have pressure on the hose and fittings.

notforhire

Equipment
Kubota L47
Dec 5, 2019
Meadows of Dan VA.
What is the lift capacity of your loader?
Recently I downsized my tractor from a 50 series JD, to a Kubota L47. I was concerned that the 780# grapple I used on the Deere would be too heavy for the L47.
I'm happy to say that it works well and doesn't feel like I'm asking too much of the loader.
I've moved some large rocks, big chunks of concrete, trees and brush, with no problems.

Not that I'm knocking EA's grapple. I think on small machines the weight savings are important and it looks like it's well designed.

The weight difference between my MS grapple and EA's is 120#. If lift capacity is over a ton, I don't see that as a problem. I paid $1,800 for my grapple. For $1,600 more I could lift an additional 120#.

dbchaplin03

Equipment
Kubota L6060
Apr 15, 2020
Fairborn, OH
What is the lift capacity of your loader?
Recently I downsized my tractor from a 50 series JD, to a Kubota L47. I was concerned that the 780# grapple I used on the Deere would be too heavy for the L47.
I'm happy to say that it works well and doesn't feel like I'm asking too much of the loader.
I've moved some large rocks, big chunks of concrete, trees and brush, with no problems.

Not that I'm knocking EA's grapple. I think on small machines the weight savings are important and it looks like it's well designed.

The weight difference between my MS grapple and EA's is 120#. If lift capacity is over a ton, I don't see that as a problem. I paid $1,800 for my grapple. For $1,600 more I could lift an additional 120#.
After I ordered my L6060 i stumbled on the TLB series. They have significantly more lift capacity. Your L47 has about 1000 lbs more rated lift capacity than the L6060. I ordered mine right after the plant shutdown and then for 2.5 weeks the dealer couldn’t tell me when it would be getting here and long story but i started looking around.

The L47 would have been about $10k more than my L6060. I contemplated it but i need the tractor significantly more than i need a backhoe. I have a local rental place about 8 miles from our property and can rent a mini ex for $230/day.

I did consider for a day or two about ordering an M62 without the backhoe though. That bad boy has a 4K lb lift capacity. I am replacing a 35 hp tractor and 50 hp skid steer with this tractor so that loader lift capacity would have been nice. Alas though, they figured out the ordering issue and I’ll have my tractor delivered next week.

Most of the folks here run the 60” grapple not the 66” EA wicked grapple. So the weight of it is only 400 lbs not the 660 something of the 66” bucket. I agree your’s is just fine for your loader and if you already own it, thats the best grapple there is.

notforhire

Equipment
Kubota L47
Dec 5, 2019
Meadows of Dan VA.
Probably 90% of the things I do are with the loader. The backhoe was an afterthought.
I really wanted a good loader on a smallish machine.
I bought my L47 in 2019 as a tractor loader, then the backhoe in 2020.

Aegis

Equipment
SSV75
Aug 10, 2019
CD'A Idaho
I just bought a MIDSOTA grapple for my SSV75.. Very well built. Works great. Dual cylinder, will work independently of each other..

Last edited:

Missouriboy

Equipment
L245
May 2, 2017
Lees Summit, Mo. Jackson
I purchased a Tomahawk (single cylinder) and have been pleased with it. It does not have grease zerks, but I don't plan on using it 24/7 - just clearing trails and hauling crap around the hunting camp. It was lighter and cheaper than most, but very well made. Saved my back 1000x over!

Iguide

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L 3800 Shutt Shift W/R4 Tires Loaded 4WD LA 524 Loader W/Quick Attach 66" Bucket
WOW, no Zerks......... I found out from experience that no matter how well you thougtht it was made if it does not have Zerks and you can't grease it it is not worth having over the long run. No matter how much you don't use it.................

Reactions: 1 user

Iguide

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L 3800 Shutt Shift W/R4 Tires Loaded 4WD LA 524 Loader W/Quick Attach 66" Bucket
I will gladly trade my root grapple for a twin lid long bottom grapple. Root grapple doesn't hold enough.

Precision manufacturing makes the bigmouth series, opens to 54" https://precisionmfg.com/big-mouth-327/ But it is not a Long bottom and as you know can't pickup as much as a long bottom. Personally I'll stick with the
Everything Attachments Root Grapple For Mega Compact and Utility Tractors https://www.everythingattachments.c...rger-Compact-Utility-Tractors-p/eta-mcurg.htm
Picks up enough for me. That is a Twin top ling bottom opens to 42.5"

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
Ironically enough i was just there yesterday even though I didn't buy my tractor from them. Price on that does seem good. Found a dealer of implements, attachments, and truck accessories about 40 mins from here that is a real small, one man shop. He said he can get a real good price from one of his dealers. He sells NAI, CID, and Quick Attach products.

Talked to the Quick Attach company and they recommend their Quick Claw 60". Still a bit heavy at 650ish pounds but it is made of T-1 steel and they said if I ever bought anoth
P8270010.JPG
er skid steer it could easily go on there also which is a big plus for me. We'll see what kind of price he can get on that one.
P8270016.JPG

I'm looking at eventually buying an SVL-65 tracked machine for working around our farm when i retire from the Air Force.
I have had a Quick Attach on my L3560HSTC for quite a while now. Works great, Great craftsmanship, Made in MN USA! Really rugged but as you say a little heavy, but I love it.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Precision manufacturing makes the bigmouth series, opens to 54" https://precisionmfg.com/big-mouth-327/ But it is not a Long bottom and as you know can't pickup as much as a long bottom. Personally I'll stick with the
Everything Attachments Root Grapple For Mega Compact and Utility Tractors https://www.everythingattachments.c...rger-Compact-Utility-Tractors-p/eta-mcurg.htm
Picks up enough for me. That is a Twin top ling bottom opens to 42.5"
OK buy the 73" wicked unit and I'll trade you

Iguide

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Why would I buy what I want and trade it to you for what I don't want just so you can have it. LOL Kinda dumb on my part. Aye. LOL Pay me first & then I'll get it............................ Take Care.

Last edited:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Good afternoon. This may be the first post I've had on this particular forum. I tried doing some searching and probably know what the answer is but wanted to ask before spending the money.

I'm looking for a Root Rake style grapple for my new L6060. I've looked at the EA Wicked Root and the LP SGC1060. I wasn't impressed with the SGC1060 compared to other grapples I've had in the past. I know you want to keep the weight down on a CUT, i get that but the SGC1060 sure looked like the teeth would be easily bent especially if you were back raking with it. The SGC1560 is much better built but weighs over 800lbs and im afraid that is a lot of weight hanging out there in front of the L6060.

Looked at the 60" root rake from Titan- palletforks . com (i know a Chinese grapple) but I'm just doing research and want to buy the best grapple for the dollar. That one is out of stock and no idea of when it will be back in.

Any other options out there i should be looking at for the money? I'm guessing the EA is the best option but with tax and skid steer flat face quick couplers its almost $3k...

BTW I've owned an EA grapple in the past just not the root rake style. Fit, finish, everything was top notch. But we've moved 11 times in the last 16 years I've been in the military and we couldn't take the tractor and attachments with us back then. I risk that still now which is why I shy away from buying a $3k grapple. Been looking used here in SW Ohio and haven't seen too many used grapples that don't weight 800-1000 lbs.
Congratulations on the L6060. I have the MX6000 which is the dumber version but similar in many ways that relate to grapples at least. I got the EA Wicked 60 last July (ordered end of February) and it's done exceptionally well moving large boulders around and some wood. I opted for the 60 over the 66 to save about 250lb of weight on the loader.

I still have to clear up four downed trees but don't want to get into them until I've got a good brush guard made up. Most of my use is rocks and boulders so I wanted something that's tough and durable. I've seen lots of damaged grapples from various manufacturers on YouTube ... but no EA models yet. I estimate the rock below to weigh somewhere around 2,000lb. The grapple had no problem picking it up and holding it for the 400 yard drive to a different part of the property. It wasn't much fun sliding down the asphalt driveway with the rock in the jaws but it worked out ok in the end.

1.jpg

5.jpg

clean_up_04.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Iguide

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Tractor time with Tim has a video that shows that you can pick up multiple more objects with a long bottom grapple as opposed to a short bottom grapple. I'm sure there will be someone to tell me that I don't know what I'm talking about. I took a quick look and did not find that video. I think it was something about helping a neighbor clean up his wood yard. Just watch the video & you'll see what I mean.