Best basic implements to go with an L3902 tractor ??

Western

Equipment
l3902, LA26, LP BB1566, Maschio Birba 155F flail mower
May 20, 2023
Sunshine Coast BC Canada
We have a 17 acre forested parcel on the southern BC coast, with some development on it. Only about 20% is cleared. Lots of big cedar interspersed with other species intermingled, lots of wildlife (deer, black bears, cougars, etc). We will improve current cleared land which is rocky and rough, and add a few foot trails through the forest, but don't plan much in the way of any further clearing.

We are getting set up with a tractor and implements to help in looking after it.

I've posted a bit more about the property and priorities on the "Implements" page.

Although this is Canada, it is on the coast, and there is minimal annual snowfall here, so not an issue.

The base tractor will be an L3902, R14 tires, roof. The dealer rep has not seemed to be on the ball as far as implements suitable to our needs, and so I am doing research and joining this site as part of getting more knowledgeable as we define the order.

Dealer has quoted for the LA525 loader versus the newer LA526. Any comments on pros/cons?

The LP pallet forks are in the order, and no questions.

A box blade seems to be a logical add to help in repairing and maintaining a 1/2 mi gravel drive currently in bad shape, and for future land contouring, drainage improvements, etc. The LP BB15 line looks like a better bet than the BB12 proposed by the dealer. I like the pins instead of clips for the scrapers, 4-height setting scrapers versus 3, and beefier construction with the BB15 line. The L3902 is about 55 inches wide, so I am thinking the BB1566 is a good complementary match. Comments?

I need a mower for the grassy areas, and to trim the grass/invasive Himalayan blackberry/little saplings along the cleared area edges and on both sides of the drive. The dealer proposed the LP FDR1660 pull grooming mower, but I am concerned that it would not be adequate outside of the pure grassy areas.

I was instead wondering about the LP FM2560 flail mower, which the dealer says would be overkill and too big for the tractor. The LP web site lists it as a good match to the L series tractor, so I am a bit puzzled. Comments?

I think a 3 pt hitch carryall at the back would be a nice general purpose accessory, and the Canadian-made Split Fire Carryall looks like a good bet: https://split-fire.com/3pt-carry-all/

I don't have a need (nor the budget !!) for a backhoe, and can borrow one from my neighbors if and when needed.

I'll get a year's supply of basic maintenance supplies as well.

Any other accessories that I should be thinking about?

Thanks all!

Note that a lot of equipment available to folks in the US is not exported and readily available to us in Canada, particularly in the west, so that is a significant factor. We are a ferry ride away from the mainland, so delivery is also an i$$ue.

Last edited:

69 SS

Equipment
2015 L3901 HST,with Canopy,LA 525 FEL with SSQA bucket
Sep 26, 2015
Ft. Inn sc
3rd function before you commit to buying, see what a dealer install cost, you might not need it now.
Grapple to go with 3rd function ,absolute necessity, don't care which brand you buy,,research the cost and try to get dealer to give package deal on all this before you buy.

If it's not in the budget ,can understand that. My grapple stays on my tractor. 98% of the time.
You mentioned pallet forks, I have a clamp on bucket shovel that is made for pallet forks,really handy piece of equipment, it's not a backhoe but with time you can dig out a decent sized hole with it.

If you have a decent gravel road already , I would rather have a good tiltn swivel scrape blade over a box blade. Hard to do ditches with a box blade, again talk to dealer before you buy.

Quick hitch, if you're young and have a good back and average fitness, enjoy this while you can.
Think of it like this,every time you have to get on and off the tractor to change an implement vs
Just backing up ,hitching up n driving away

Some type of tooth bucket bar,only couple out there,I have one, does really good job over just plain bucket.i have 2 buckets, one with xyz brand bucket tooth bar awesome what it will do,other bucket has 5 tooth bucket bar,works good for hard to dig mixed rock n dirt.
SSQA for front end loader, you didn't mention

If you can spend, all this is a wish list . I have all these and works well for me.
Good luck on all your projects

Reactions: 1 users

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
I got a land plane for maintaining the driveway as it(for me) works better than the box blade. Also rear remotes are great if you also get the top-n-tilt as you can adjust the crown you are making in the road without leaving the seat of the tractor. I wish I would have researched flail mowers before I bought my rotary cutter as the cutter makes the tractor hard to maneuver around anything close. Piranha blade (BXpanded) is a must if digging or just moving gravel out of a pile. Pallet forks are a good call as they are on the tractor almost as much as the bucket. Are you clearing brush or trees? Then third function and a grapple are in order. Any hills, then wheel spacers. Also have the rear tires filled with Rimguard or similar(not salt). Also a quick hitch makes life easier if you have a few 3 point implements. I also had a 3 point finish mower that I sold as I was not impressed with it(side discharge would leave clumps of cut grass(might help if I mowed a little more too). Also I install more lights on just everything I own, Nilights from Amazon are great and nicely priced for LED's. Are you going to use the tractor for snow(does Canada get snow)((HA-HA))? if so a rear blade turned backwards at an angle does good on gravel if you make a wide driveway at the start of the season. My R14's tires do great in snow. I think I covered it for now, but, gimme ten minutes and I will think of something else.

Reactions: 1 user

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Good day. Maybe another consideration is if you plan to use QH or Pats on the 3pt for quick connect to implements. There’s probably already a thread here if you search. Also its not really an implement but in addition to getting rear remotes (as some mentioned already) consider if you need extra lighting…the loader bucket usually seems to be in the way of my headlights. Good luck.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Do you have another dealer nearby that you can get a quote from? Sounds like maybe the dealer is trying to sell what he has in stock versus what might be right for your needs. Stick what you want versus what the dealer is trying to sell you even if you have to wait or go further away to get it. In the end you will be much happier.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
There’s quite a bit of good advice here and I don’t think it useful to be repetitive.

One thing I will add, though. Don’t necessarily try to get EVERYTHING you might need straight out of the gate. Get what you know you will need and add later as needed. I’m aware bundling a bunch of stuff into one financing deal may (or may not) be important. But I know at least a couple of people who bought absolutely everything they could possibly think of needing day one and ended up with two or three expensive implements that they never use. That’s mostly because for some implements there’s overlap in functionality. For example: box blade, back blade, and land plane. All a bit better at one thing than another but it’s a rare situation where you really need all three. Some stuff: chipper, stump grinder, etc.; there’s no overlap with other stuff. But do you really need a disc harrow and a tiller? Possibly, but unlikely.

Also consider one time tasks v tasks that will have to be done routinely v occasional tasks. For me, one time tasks are often most cost effective to either rent proper equipment or hire it out. Land clearing is a common one mentioned here. Yeah, you can do that with your tractor but if it’s a one and done project are you better off renting or hiring a CTL with a forestry mulcher or a small dozer to knock it out efficiently? Occasional tasks probably buy the equipment but if it’s a once every year or two for a few hours, price may be weighted heavier than quality. (Do you need a dedicated grapple for occasional use or would an add a grapple type lid for forks or bucket be acceptable and more cost effective?) If it’s a routine task where the implement is going to see quite a few hours, quality and the efficiency of the “perfect” tool may be weighted more heavily than price.

Also, as you get used to the tractor, you’ll have a better feel for what is really a good match for it. Along those lines, some (not all) dealers will let you test drive an implement before purchase. Sometimes even if there’s a rental fee, that’s a good option. Mowers are a good example. If you have a mix of rough cut and semi-finish cut, if they’ll let you borrow or rent a flail before purchase, try it before you buy it. Maybe one flail will get it done. Maybe you really need a bush hog type mower and a separate finish mower. Either way ain’t cheap.

If you’re storing your 3 point implements in a garage or shed with a smooth concrete floor, put them on dollies so you can move them easily for efficient storage and easy hookup. If you’re not storing them in that manner, get a quick hitch. Quick hitch or no quick hitch is a decision that needs to be made before you set up PTO driven implements as that impacts the proper length of the PTO shafts, and they aren’t cheap. If you set up the PTO shafts for no quick hitch and later get a quick hitch you should plan on $350 to $500 each for new, longer PTO shafts for each implement. That can get painful quickly.

Storage space comes into play as well. Even if you have gobs of money to put into implements, do you really want to have your place looking like a rental yard? Forks with an add a grapple take up the same space as forks. A dedicated grapple and dedicated forks take up two spaces.

Just stuff to think about.

Last edited:

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
There’s quite a bit of good advice here and I don’t think it useful to be repetitive.

One thing I will add, though. Don’t necessarily try to get EVERYTHING you might need straight out of the gate. Get what you know you will need and add later as needed. I’m aware bundling a bunch of stuff into one financing deal may (or may not) be important. But I know at least a couple of people who bought absolutely everything they could possibly think of needing day one and ended up with two or three expensive implements that they never use.
Hey now..... I resemble that comment...Hahahah...

And that is what happened to me, kind of. (think Rotary Cutter and Ballast box, and PH digger)

I would like to point out that with inflation at record levels since I bought mine, I'll bet that my Rotary Cutter and PH digger could be sold for darn near what I paid for them. But hopefully that won't last forever.....

I have only tried it out and never actually used it, but having it is, (at least to me), worth the few dollars a month it costs.

So it's kind of a 'Bird in the hand..." thing to me.

I'm also a "tool junkie", so there's that too...

Just another perspective. ;)

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Be aware that 3-point “Quick Hitches” are not always the simple solution for implements that are not “matched” for it (usually from the same mfr’r). Extendable lower-link-arms are more useful than a QH, in my opinion.

There‘s some great advice in this thread.

Reactions: 2 users

drumminj

Equipment
L4701, Mule 4010
Nov 4, 2021
TN
If you’re storing your 3 point implements in a garage or shed with a smooth concrete floor, put them on dollies so you can move them easily for efficient storage and easy hookup.
Lots of good advice in NCL's post, especially on not buying everything all at once. I have a list of implements I'd love to buy and would be able to use, but I'm making do without them and refining what I need...also watching for sales :). That said, I don't regret for a minute my forks, grapple, or rotary cutter. I have a landscape rake, land plane, and drag harrow which all overlap on what they can do, but find there are unique tasks each can accomplish the others can't that are important to me.

A huge +1 on the dollies. It makes storage so much simpler, and I can swap out either 3-pt or loader implements without moving the tractor.

I'd still like a chipper, stump grinder, disc harrow, and seeder/spreader. Gotta start playing the lottery I guess...

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: driveway in bad shape...
option...
Instead of a boxblade, use a rear blade. It's far more versatile than the BB. Local 'roads' crews all use roadgraders, which have belly blades. They service 1,000s of miles of roads. If BBs were 'better', taxpayers would have bought them.
If it's in really 'bad' shape,hire a dozer dude and have him properly grade/trim the road. After that ,simply drag a heavy bar with chains behinds every 2 weeks to keep the road smooth and pretty.
Implement storage is a HUGE requirement. Allow 6-8 feet of width for each one if stored outside on a flat surface. Can be a pad of $$ concrete,a lot of patio stones, or well compacted crusherrun...anything that allows EASY on/off of the 3PH implements.

Loader with SSQA is a must. Carryall can lift a 'skid of stone' or ballast. Mine's homemade,23 years old, using forklift forks..simple but it works. I've always bought used equipment. Proven and less money, allowed me to buy 4 'field ready' tractors.

Everyone here can spend your money several ways but YOU should write down what work you need done and then prioritize the list.Thinking is one thing, SEEING the list can be a real eye opener for me, roadwork trumps trails. Having a GOOD 16' wide road allows easy year round access for everyone including delivery trucks, dump trucks, and of course the Pizza delivery guy ! Also high on the list would be 'brush invasion'. It'd be nice to keep the 'forest' 6-8 feet away from the driveway. and shallow swayles for rain runoff.

Last edited:

Western

Equipment
May 20, 2023
Sunshine Coast BC Canada
Thanks all for the great advice and perspectives given here! Invaluable :) (y)

Given the much smaller market in Canada, the range of products imported and available, and of dealers, is much more limited than for my friends to the south in the US. Stock is still very tight, and the resale market is also very tight.

- I switched dealers, and found a rep who was much more experienced and knowledgeable than the one I had been dealing with. A key change, and resulted in much better advice and more support on searching out options.

- I've ended up landing on a Maschio Birba 155F 61 inch flail mower, coming from the other side of the country like some of the other gear on order. In Canada the 155F comes fitted with grass blades but I have also ordered a set of flail hammers as possible alternates, and the optional end skids. It's much cheaper than the Landpride FM 2560 and which won't be available here until mid-2024. The Birba doesn't have the option of offset (manual or otherwise), but not a big deal. A couple of Caroni models were an option as well, but landed on Maschio.

It's been interesting just how many different opinions there are about types of mowers, brush cutters, etc; and no perfect single solution. Particularly if you are dealing with a diverse set of needs like I am, but can't afford multiple implements. I think the Birba will be a cost-effective overall compromise.

- I have a big garage/shop with cement floor and double-height rail "hangar" doors. As suggested by others I am going to be building a number of heavy duty dollies for implement storage, and to also for ease in connection as I don't have rear quick connect. I do have a SSQA at the front for the L02 and the LA26 loader.

With the order pretty much finalized I now need to coordinate with the dealer and transporters given our coastal location. The equipment will actually go from the dealer to a marine terminal, come across from the Vancouver mainland on barge to another marine port terminal, and then get offloaded and onto a low-bed for transport by road up the coast to our place. "Planes, trains, and automobiles"

Reactions: 2 users

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Good work.

I personally think in the B, LX and L range, if you have cement floors and can use dollys you can easily attach implements without a quick attach. You have to get off the machine to attach the drive shaft anyway, and with wheels it's not so hard to attach the implement. With a bigger machine (and therefore bigger implements), or with implements that are on gravel or grass, it's a different story and quick attach pays dividends.

I see a lot of people getting flails and I think they're a great mid-point. Better cut and less weight out the back than a rotary cutter, more durable than a finish mower. If it works for what you're cutting, it's a great choice. However, if you need a really tidy finish, a real finish mower is better.

Good luck, sounds like you'll be very happy.

CGMKCM

Equipment
RVT-1100C, ZD323, L4760
Jan 26, 2021
Randolph county N.C.
Best decision I made for my tractor used in the woods to maintain trails and clear downed trees is 3rd function and grapple. Loaded tires, spread rears as wide as possible and add wheel weights were also good decisions for how I use my tractor. Might want to talk with your dealer and get some things done prior to delivery.

animals45

Equipment
L3301l
Apr 22, 2021
Mabie CA
Not trying to repeat stuff . If it weren't for the rippers I'm not sure how much I would use my box scraper . I'm a big fan of the rear blade . You can unbolt the blade & slide it to the right or left so when your cutting a ditch on the side of the road your not driving in the ditch your trying to cut . I don't have. T&T , yea it would be real bitchin to have one , the rear blade has so many different settings it don't take long to figure out which setting you need for what job . Another thing I really like is with the blade off set / slid over one set of bolt holes I cay do my road in 2 pass's . Also after I rip sometimes I put the rear blade back on & turn the blade backwards & that's how I smooth the road out . Having the QH is a huge asset .
Work smarter , not harder .
good luck
animal

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Not trying to repeat stuff . If it weren't for the rippers I'm not sure how much I would use my box scraper . I'm a big fan of the rear blade . You can unbolt the blade & slide it to the right or left so when your cutting a ditch on the side of the road your not driving in the ditch your trying to cut . I don't have. T&T , yea it would be real bitchin to have one , the rear blade has so many different settings it don't take long to figure out which setting you need for what job . Another thing I really like is with the blade off set / slid over one set of bolt holes I cay do my road in 2 pass's . Also after I rip sometimes I put the rear blade back on & turn the blade backwards & that's how I smooth the road out . Having the QH is a huge asset .
Work smarter , not harder .
good luck
animal
Ditto on the rear blade. Even better is one with offset capability without having to unbolt:bolt up the mold board . My Bison blade has a pin and telescoping link to do that either by hand or hydraulically.

tigmades

Aug 16, 2023
Manitoba, Canada
Thanks all for the great advice and perspectives given here! Invaluable :) (y)

Given the much smaller market in Canada, the range of products imported and available, and of dealers, is much more limited than for my friends to the south in the US. Stock is still very tight, and the resale market is also very tight.

- I switched dealers, and found a rep who was much more experienced and knowledgeable than the one I had been dealing with. A key change, and resulted in much better advice and more support on searching out options.

- I've ended up landing on a Maschio Birba 155F 61 inch flail mower, coming from the other side of the country like some of the other gear on order. In Canada the 155F comes fitted with grass blades but I have also ordered a set of flail hammers as possible alternates, and the optional end skids. It's much cheaper than the Landpride FM 2560 and which won't be available here until mid-2024. The Birba doesn't have the option of offset (manual or otherwise), but not a big deal. A couple of Caroni models were an option as well, but landed on Maschio.

It's been interesting just how many different opinions there are about types of mowers, brush cutters, etc; and no perfect single solution. Particularly if you are dealing with a diverse set of needs like I am, but can't afford multiple implements. I think the Birba will be a cost-effective overall compromise.

- I have a big garage/shop with cement floor and double-height rail "hangar" doors. As suggested by others I am going to be building a number of heavy duty dollies for implement storage, and to also for ease in connection as I don't have rear quick connect. I do have a SSQA at the front for the L02 and the LA26 loader.

With the order pretty much finalized I now need to coordinate with the dealer and transporters given our coastal location. The equipment will actually go from the dealer to a marine terminal, come across from the Vancouver mainland on barge to another marine port terminal, and then get offloaded and onto a low-bed for transport by road up the coast to our place. "Planes, trains, and automobiles"

Hi Western,

I'm in Manitoba and I've been lookng at the maschio birba same model as you. I've spent countless hours hunting for a fail mower and you're so right - what we have availability-wise is very little compared to USA. Would you be so kind as to let me know where you ended up getting from? I haven't had luck with local dealers that know anything...

Also, from what I can see, the birba and the "weekend warrior" that agfolks.com offers are the exact same machine. Supposedly the weekend warrior is quick hitch compatible, so I'm guessing the birba is, too? Curious if you use yours with a quick hitch or not.

Thanks in advance!

Western

Equipment
May 20, 2023
Sunshine Coast BC Canada
Hi Western,

I'm in Manitoba and I've been lookng at the maschio birba same model as you. I've spent countless hours hunting for a fail mower and you're so right - what we have availability-wise is very little compared to USA. Would you be so kind as to let me know where you ended up getting from? I haven't had luck with local dealers that know anything...

Also, from what I can see, the birba and the "weekend warrior" that agfolks.com offers are the exact same machine. Supposedly the weekend warrior is quick hitch compatible, so I'm guessing the birba is, too? Curious if you use yours with a quick hitch or not.

Thanks in advance!
Sorry for the delay in responding, I've been busy getting acquainted with my new gear, and haven't been back to the site until tonight.

My dealer (Douglas Lake Equipment) in Surrey got it through an Ontario supplier, and had it shipped out to BC. I don't have access to the paperwork with the name of the distributor this week, but should be able to next week and happy to provide you. Also happy to chat further directly with you to help out a fellow countryman, if you want to provide a contact number or email !!

I was told by my dealer that the birba would come with duckfoot blades, not the flail hammers that I wanted, so I ordered a set of hammers so that I could swap them out in future. Turns out they came with the flail hammers installed, so I ended up with a spare set. It also looked from the literature than the ground skids on the ends were an option, so I ordered a set. Again, turns out the skids came installed, so I have a spare set of those as well. Nice I guess, but I'm out more than a grand $CDN for the spare hammers and skids.

I don't have a quick hitch. I have a big shop with a concrete floor, and I have built rolling dollies (lots of examples on YT) one per implement so that I can easily move gear about for easy connection and for storage. So far working out very well.

Stay tuned, more to follow next week once I get back to the shop.

Last edited:

Western

Equipment
May 20, 2023
Sunshine Coast BC Canada
I am also getting a rear three point attach 60" carryall from these folks out in Ontario CAN, to be shipped to me in BC. Should be pretty handy, and also can carry some bags of sand or cement as ballast when needed.

Western

Equipment
May 20, 2023
Sunshine Coast BC Canada
Sorry for the delay in responding, I've been busy getting acquainted with my new gear, and haven't been back to the site until tonight.

My dealer (Douglas Lake Equipment) in Surrey got it through an Ontario supplier, and had it shipped out to BC. I don't have access to the paperwork with the name of the distributor this week, but should be able to next week and happy to provide you. Also happy to chat further directly with you to help out a fellow countryman, if you want to provide a contact number or email !!

I was told by my dealer that the birba would come with duckfoot blades, not the flail hammers that I wanted, so I ordered a set of hammers so that I could swap them out in future. Turns out they came with the flail hammers installed, so I ended up with a spare set. It also looked from the literature than the ground skids on the ends were an option, so I ordered a set. Again, turns out the skids came installed, so I have a spare set of those as well. Nice I guess, but I'm out more than a grand $CDN for the spare hammers and skids.

I don't have a quick hitch. I have a big shop with a concrete floor, and I have built rolling dollies (lots of examples on YT) one per implement so that I can easily move gear about for easy connection and for storage. So far working out very well.

Stay tuned, more to follow next week once I get back to the shop.
Maschio Canada's web site is:

mticanada.ca/marques/6/maschio

There is a search feature on it to help you find local dealers. I see that there are a number in Winnipeg. Hope this helps.