Bent rotary cutter blade.

virginiavenom

Jan 30, 2015
Sherman, TX
Well. Was being productive on the new property mowing for the first time in a long time. Experienced some rocks or boulders. But just sandstone it would normally skip over it. Using this time I of course removed or marked them for future mowing. But I hit one that it didn't skip over or break. It slammed under the edge and almost stalled the engine. Of course I killed the pot quick and raised the deck. I noticed when I raised the deck it kind of jostled the tractor a little. So i went to a concrete area to inspect. Turns out I bent one brush hog blade. The outside edge of that blade now rides about a finger under the side of the cutter deck. Obviously not good. The other looked fine to me. So being as this cutter is only about 12 hours of use now. Should I just bend the blade back? Owners manual says never do that. But of course they want you to buy parts too. Any issue with this? The blade really is in great shape otherwise. Only barely rounded over just tipped down. Or replace? Or just use it as is but raised until initial mowing is completed? If I can bend it back how exactly is a good way to do it.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I think I would replace , bending it back might allow it to break off and then who knows where that piece went flying.

Send us a picture if just bend a small amount, this way it can be decided IF bending back is even an option.

You did not mention what model it is, or the cost of a new blade - both would/could change the opinion!;):)

virginiavenom

Jan 30, 2015
Sherman, TX
Rcr1872. Sorry I forgot to mention. I have no idea on price. I'll call dealer tomorrow. I'm guessing it isn't cheap. 3 blades of much smaller size for my scag are about 100 bucks. It's not that I mind if it's 30 bucks or 50 bucks even for a new set. But not even finishing my 20 acres before blowing a blade sucks. I would have figured the size and thickness of these blades would be good to go for a good bit of beating.

I'll try to get a pic tomorrow afternoon.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Dont straighten it. Bending it again will likely start a crack and i certainly wouldnt want a 7 or 10 pound projectile flying out from under my mower.

Redlands

Sep 16, 2016
North Central Oklahoma
Or just use it as is but raised until initial mowing is completed ?

Not a good idea at all, could easily hit the deck of your mower and cut it or at least leave a good ring shaped dent.

Keep balance of blades in mind on what ever you do, no need to put extra wear on the Gear box and bearings seals etc.

Be sure to have the deck well supported or tied off. Relying on the hydraulics to hold it up is not a good idea.

Pictures and prices as suggested is good idea.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Having had a blade break and getting a flat from it hitting my rear tire, I'd buy a new one.

virginiavenom

Jan 30, 2015
Sherman, TX
looks like 1 replacement blade is about $40 I'm assuming the blade should be just even or just barely above the bottom of the sides of the deck? I'll have a pic this evening hopefully.