Bent my FEL support arms

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
It’s my own fault. Not blaming the tractor whatsoever.

Thought it’d be interesting to remove the FEL for mowing. Raised the FEL and lowered the arms. 2 mistakes. I didn’t have the bucket tilted forward enough so the arms touched the ground before the bucket did and I put the weight of the tractor on the arms to remove the 2 pins. I realized what I had done and quickly corrected the issue.

I wanted to leave the bucket off for now, but I just don’t trust the arms anymore.. One was so bent I couldn’t get it pinned back onto the FEL. No idea on what replacements would cost, but I’ll probably bend them back and have some angle iron welded to them for additional support.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
It’s my own fault. Not blaming the tractor whatsoever.

Thought it’d be interesting to remove the FEL for mowing. Raised the FEL and lowered the arms. 2 mistakes. I didn’t have the bucket tilted forward enough so the arms touched the ground before the bucket did and I put the weight of the tractor on the arms to remove the 2 pins. I realized what I had done and quickly corrected the issue.

I wanted to leave the bucket off for now, but I just don’t trust the arms anymore.. One was so bent I couldn’t get it pinned back onto the FEL. No idea on what replacements would cost, but I’ll probably bend them back and have some angle iron welded to them for additional support.
That's a good, economical solution. Paint the correct color and who's going to notice?

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Never heard of that. I remove my loaders sans bucket all the time with no ill effect.

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
stand arms look to be $36.00 each surprisingly inexpensive
Nice! Do you have a p/n? I couldn***8217;t find anything.

The pair would probably be cheaper than having them welded up and buying the paint.

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
The supports actually look flimsy in my opinion. But they aren't designed to hold up the front end of the tractor, just balance the weight of the bucket and the arms.
That balance point, at least on my tractor seems to be less than 100# as I have easily lifted the loader arms to put a block of wood under the supports.

But they do what they are supposed to. If you straighten the arms they would most likely be strong enough to do their job. Additional reinforcement wouldn't hurt but just may not be necessary.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I have 2 BXs, L5740HSTC and M8540HDC. My advice for wht it's worth, save your money, straighten your old ones and don't "reinforce". They are the way they are for a reason, if defective design they would have been modified by now.

Personally if I bend something I want to do it to the least expensive, easiest to fix or replace.

I've used tractors for over sixty years and bending or breaking something tht happens to all of us given time and really working equipment as designed.

I'm not averse to welding, reinforcing when needed, this just ain't one of those times.