Bent hydraulic top link.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I thought I would try a hydraulic top link on my L2501. I bought one listed as a Category 1 top link. I hooked it up to my box blade and cycled the cylinder and it immediately bent as I extended it.

Are these things that weak or is there something I should not have done?
At least you know your hydraulic pump works good.

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
Was thinking about this some more, I would flip and straighten best you could. Then put that cylinder on a blade or landscape rake or something that isn’t used a whole bunch, but would still be nice to have hydraulic angle/movement.
Yes, good idea. Later on, I will see if I can straighten it. It only has to last as long as me to matter anyway. :)

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
You can try to straighten the top link and if it works that is great.

I would rework the box blade's brace. Weld a new brace in a little lower on the A frame and then cut and grind out the old brace. You would never need to worry about which top link you use.

Reactions: 1 user

Nicfin36

Equipment
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
You can try to straighten the top link and if it works that is great.

I would rework the box blade's brace. Weld a new brace in a little lower on the A frame and then cut and grind out the old brace. You would never need to worry about which top link you use.
Yes, the brace was in a bad spot on the box blade for sure. I had thought about it touching, but in my hurry, it slipped my mind. It was dark in the barn where I park the tractor and hooked up the cylinder. I might have noticed/remembered had I pulled out into a lighted area. It is a learning experience that I should not repeat again though.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Yes, the brace was in a bad spot on the box blade for sure. I had thought about it touching, but in my hurry, it slipped my mind. It was dark in the barn where I park the tractor and hooked up the cylinder. I might have noticed/remembered had I pulled out into a lighted area. It is a learning experience that I should not repeat again though.
A good reason to install rear LED lighting on your tractor. Even though I don't usually work in the dark, I did install both front and rear lighting on my tractor. It has kept me from running over a porcupine on a few occasions.

Nicfin36

Equipment
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
A good reason to install rear LED lighting on your tractor. Even though I don't usually work in the dark, I did install both front and rear lighting on my tractor. It has kept me from running over a porcupine on a few occasions.
Yes, good idea. I need to do that as well.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
eserv saw the damage on the rod-end I didn't catch. There was a lot of torque there...

Like you said, live and learn.

I would definitely do a little cuttin' and weldin' on the BB.