Belly mower advice

tom.pynaker

Jul 20, 2017
Green Bay, WI
I bought a BX 2380 about a year ago and love it! I did not need a mower then but do now. I have turf tires and mow about 1 1/2 acres. Please help me with your experiences with this type of setup. Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

WV Tractorman

Mar 25, 2018
Liberty, WV, USA
I bought a BX 2380 about a year ago and love it! I did not need a mower then but do now. I have turf tires and mow about 1 1/2 acres. Please help me with your experiences with this type of setup. Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have a BX2360 with a 60” mmm. And mow about 4 acres . It does a great job. I think retail thru a kubota dealer the mower deck runs around $2200 , I’ve seen a few on Craigslist and the like for around $1000 in decent shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redbusdriver

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23S MMM PHD Grapple
Apr 13, 2017
Vancouver WA
I have a BX23S, the same basic tractor. Bought the standard 54 inch belly mower with it. It does take a bit of time & effort to hookup/remove but having done it a few times it is getting easier.

No issues with the mower itself. If you have wheel spacers you may want to research the clearance issues VS the 54" and 60" mowers. There are some mentioned out there.

Were I to do it over again I would have gotten the drive over style as I am getting older.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
You may want to consider a rear mount finish mower.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Vidiot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680 & several implements
Apr 28, 2017
Purcellville, VA, USA
I've got the BX2680 with turf tires and a 60" MMM for about 6 acres, it does an awesome job and I have no complaints.
The drive over deck looks nice but I was advised against it by my salesman, the pin on take a little getting used too but it's easy enough to get on after a few times doing it.
Haven't tried the rear finish mower so I can't speak to that.

majorwager

Equipment
MX5100 FEL ford 1620 FEL International 484 FEL Lull 844C
Not familiar w/ kubota MMM. But I have a 72" for my ford. If MMM does NOT have 4" or wider pneumatic tires, it will rut the lawn during spring rains w/ narrow hard rubber or plastic wheels.

If you find a reasonable used mower, in good condition, so be it. But there is a decline in mid-mounts and 3 point mowers. They are - S L O W- and lack maneuverability.

The zero turn is only way to go. You are NOT mowing huge acreage, so your time saving won't be as great.

Just so you can avoid the proverbial self kick in the pants, try to demo a zero turn before spending 3 or 4 thousand on a mid-mount attachment. If you perform any woods work, the mmm loves to get hung up on grade changes do to minimal ground clearance. Zero turns have decreased in cost, residential models.

EDIT: Flail mowers consume significant HP. True? Rear finish mowers require constant turning to observe mower while avoiding a collision, True?

Last edited:

jpf

Feb 26, 2016
butler, ga USA
belly mower vs finish mower,
I can leave my belly mower on and use the tph with another implement at the same time, I like that.

lordulrich

Equipment
BX 2370, 60 MMM, Loader, Front Mount Snow Blower, Landpride 3 pt blade, Tiller
Jul 28, 2016
SE Minnesota
I've got a BX 2370 with a mid mount. My advice is to think about your yard and think about a rear finish mower depending on yard layout. I've got a few places I could back a rear finish mower into (inside corners) that I can't get into with the mid mount mower. I either need to push mow those areas (what I do now) or landscape those areas so I don't have to get in tight to mow the areas. I mow about 3 acres at a time, the MMM works just fine and it goes fast.

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
I'm on the fence. I use a tractor with a 50" mower for trimming around trees and buildings on my 5 acres. Then I use my B2320 with a 60" finish for the balance of the property. Personally I like the ability to take off the finish mower in about 2 minutes for using a rear implement or ballast. I thought that a belly mower would get in the way for loader work. If you don't need to get in rough area them perhaps your belly mower would work for you. I have a very rough yard and getting a larger tire tractor helps smooth out the bumps....for me but not the finish mower. I do like having the discharge 8 feet behind the drivers seat though especially when it's windy. And the rear discharge leaves no windrows which is a big plus.