Beet juice filled tire, leaking from around the valve stem

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
That looks like a good choice. You mention that the ones I linked to have a plastic nut on them now. The ones I have been using in the past had brass nuts on them. Maybe they changed to plastic now. If so, I would never use them again.
I didn't mean the ones you listed.I meant the original stems on my tires have a plastic nut.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I didn't mean the ones you listed.I meant the original stems on my tires have a plastic nut.
Thank you for clearing that up. The plastic ones on your tractor should never have been put on there. I wouldn't trust plastic for anything let alone a tractor tire.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
When mine leaked like yours, I took the tire off, and with the valve stem up and the tire lying on the concrete, I depressed the tire with the loader bucket just enough to break the tire rim bead seal. Pulled out the old stem and installed a new metal stem, then blew the tire up with air to the proper pressure, and reinstalled it onto the tractor. Not rocket science, just requires some advance planning of placement of the tractor to get the wheel off and then roll it under the bucket to complete the breaking of the bead. Bigger tires might require additional help to wrestle them into position or another tractor if they are extremely heavy.

Reactions: 1 user

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
Installed the new valve stem: https://www.grainger.com/product/HALTEC-Tire-Valve-0-625-in-Rim-Hole-446V01. Installed in seconds and works like a charm.
The only issue was removing the old stem which was originally installed from the inside and it has a metal core so I could not pull it out.
I sawzalled it off as close to the rim as I could get which left about 3/8" still sticking out. Then used my grinder to smooth the edges a bit and just pushed it into the tire which being tubeless should not be a problem :eek:{I hope}

Reactions: 1 users