Beam and Trolley Hoist Fabrication

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
In my large storage shed (14’ sidewalls) there’s a mezzanine on the end wall on each half of the shed. It’s getting tougher to haul stuff up and down the ladder or finding help to move stuff up/down from there. I had an “Aha!!” moment just the other day. I remembered a few pieces of light I-beam that were unused from another project and decided to fabricate a beam and trolley setup with block & tackle. That would sure ease the storing and retrieving of items on the mezzanine. I also keep the two halves and roof of my removeable tractor cab up there until retrieving for winter use.

Here’s how it turned out: Light duty 4” web I-beam with a short piece added on to enable it to span 3 rafters (12 ft. Long). Four feet extends over the mezzanine and 8’ extends out over the concrete main floor. At first, I made a trolley to hang a chain fall from but then decided an electric hoist might be even nicer for not much more money. Since there won’t be any heavy lifting being done, it seemed logical to try a little 440 lb. hoist. It didn’t take much to fab up another little trolley for it.

I still need to get power up to the ceiling and allow for the 10 feet of travel. Also, there’s a longer cable on order to replace the short control cable that’s standard on the hoist. Replacing that will allow hoist operation while standing down below. But at least it can be used as is until those changes take place. This will sure make it easier to safely use the upper storage area! Here’s some pics.
I Beam and Trolley Project.JPG Trolley Parts.JPG Trolley On Beam.JPG 440 lb Hoist.JPG

Reactions: 6 users

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
The leather patcher sewing machine came in handy to fab up some nylon web slings for hoist duty. The ends of which were folded over and then sewn into the loops at each end. It had no trouble punching through the four layers of webbing while using heavy duty bonded nylon thread. There should be no worries of the loops not standing up to the weight being lifted. Will have to find a test subject for the first lifts. Maybe the wife will help out with that? :unsure: Here’s a few pics of the leather patcher and a pair each of 3’ and 6’ slings.

Motorized Leather Patcher.jpg IMG_7338.JPG Web Slings.JPG Sling Eyes.JPG Eye Size.JPG

As easy as it was to sew up those slings, I think a nice small cargo net for lifting might come in handy also. Or maybe a square, flat surface with some lifting points for hoisting boxes and the like?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Nice job. I bought a Titan brand 2 ton gantry crane two years ago and have found it to be more useful than expected. Thats a great addition to your shop. I don't know how interested you are in making things but I stumbled upon a very interesting series on YouTube . Look up Adam Savage Maker Tour. The guy is very interesting. All kinds of very good shop related info.

Reactions: 1 user

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Nice job. I bought a Titan brand 2 ton gantry crane two years ago and have found it to be more useful than expected. Thats a great addition to your shop. I don't know how interested you are in making things but I stumbled upon a very interesting series on YouTube . Look up Adam Savage Maker Tour. The guy is very interesting. All kinds of very good shop related info.
Thanks! It'll be interesting to see how long my cheap hoist lasts. LOL! Yup, youtube has a lot of good "how to" and interesting build videos. Adam Savage is one of the many on my list. Instead of the normal TV programming, there's always much better viewing and educational choices on youtube. You just have to control yourself to keep from being sidetracked into the netherworld of nonsense! LOL!!

Lencho

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 21, 2017
NM
Hi Birddogger, that looks great! Post some photos of the install once you have it up. Thanks

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Hi Birddogger, that looks great! Post some photos of the install once you have it up. Thanks
Thanks! Will do. The new (longer) control cable was delivered today. Replacing the short cable with the longer will be one of today's project.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Here's the new 12" long cable (yellow) to replace the original 5' control cable to the operate handle.
Also, a couple of pics of the hoist's electrical junction box. The original short cable shown circled in yellow. And a pic of the new yellow (4 conductor) cable in place. The cable swap on this end was fairly easy!
Longer Hoist Control Cable.JPG Short Control Cable.jpg New Cable Terminated.jpg

Here's pics of the control handle "as found" and after wiring up the longer new yellow cable.
Note the hefty motor capacitor located inside the control handle. I first made sure it was completely discharged by clipping an incandescent light bulb across its terminals. There was definitely still a charge being stored up. Last pic of the new cord in place with a length of paracord used as a strain relief for the longer cable.
Standard Push Button Cable.JPG Long Cabled Controller.JPG Cord Restraint Addition.JPG

It was tough to get some good pics of the beam and hoist in place because it's still pretty dark on that end of the building. Will have to get some lighting up there at some point. An extension cord works for power at the present but will next figure out a method for permanent power that will still allow for the hoist's 10 feet of travel. With the 14' ceiling height, the control cable now extends down to 1 ft above the ground floor giving plenty of excess to control the lift while stepping out and away from underneath.
Ceiling Mounted.JPG Small Overhead Hoist (4).JPG

From the outside.....the build quality of that little hoist is pretty impressive. After some use, I'll maybe open up the gear box to have a look at its guts and check out the gears/grease situation. But it runs awful smooth and steady as is. If operated within its duty cycle (2 minutes out of 10?) it should last a long time. It'll sure be nice to aid in utilizing the mezzanine more by storing a bunch of small but heavy items that take up valuable floor space on the main floor!!

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
David, awesome job on your new I-Beam!!
you are going to LOVE that thing. It will come in handy for more things than you can dream up right now. I have used mine for so many things. It is especially useful for unloading huge items out of the bed of a pickup truck.

you did a great job, an awesome investment

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
David, awesome job on your new I-Beam!!
you are going to LOVE that thing. It will come in handy for more things than you can dream up right now. I have used mine for so many things. It is especially useful for unloading huge items out of the bed of a pickup truck.

you did a great job, an awesome investment

Thanks, Kevin!! But holy cow!! Mine is but a little pip squeak compared to your behemoth! :ROFLMAO: Wishing I would've known or been told to incorporate something like yours into the build when my big storage shed was built. But at that time, it was only meant for cold storage. Insulating and heat came many years later.

I do have a couple of larger beams that were meant for a gantry crane build. Just never found the time to build it. Then my Kubota lift showed up and replaced that need. Still extremely happy with that piece!

The little I-beam and hoist should work great for its intended purpose, though. It's my pipe dream to get things cleaned up and orderly so it might be compared to your shop space. But the term "pipe dream" seems an insufficient description for that. Hmmm......maybe it would be easier to just build a "Castle in the Sky!" 🤣
I like your new Avatar!!
David

edit: You've sure had some serious projects going on there!!

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I'll trade for your square footage any day! :ROFLMAO:
Has there been any discussion regarding repainting your new beam from John Deere green to Orange?

• Haha