Battery Problems on my B7001

Marine1975

Equipment
B7001
Aug 9, 2017
REDMOND, OREGON
Went out the other day to give my B7001 a start and it was a no go. Temperature was in the 30's and tractor has been in my carport. Charged the battery overnight and still no go. Went and bought a new battery at O'Reilly's that was an exact fit for the battery holder (5x9), but only had CCA of 425. Turned the key and still no go. Jumped the new battery with my Durango and ran fine. After working for about an hour, put the old girl back in the garage and tried to start it again and no go again. Wondering if 425 CCA is not enough juice to start? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks folks!

marchanna

Equipment
GR2120
May 2, 2018
Pictou County Nova Scotia
Maybe a bad starter solenoid?

Even if there’s not enough cracking amps, it should still try to crank.

Maybe, describe exactly what happens or take a video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marine1975

Equipment
B7001
Aug 9, 2017
REDMOND, OREGON
Motor won't even try to crank itself over when I turn the key with the new or old battery. However, when I jump the battery with my Durango, it cranked over and started. I thought it might be the solenoid, but it doesn't make sense that it starts when I jump it.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Check your battery cable connections, especially where the ground cable attaches to the frame. Pull it off and clean the cable and frame.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
If you are handy with a multimeter you can also check your cables for a voltage drop. Would be my next step if the ground connection is good.