Battery life

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
Just put #3 battery in my 1999 L301
Last one was from oreillys auto parts and lasted 10 years.
The original battery went when I was moving a log onto a trailer with a chain from the loader and the log had a big splinter on the end and it swung around and punched a hole in the battery through the grill guard. It was 9 years old and working until the puncture.
I just bought another from oreillys. Their basic store brand battery. 10 years on the last one seems pretty good to me.

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
Yeah I feel your pain!
If you need to rely on a battery, 3 years and turn them over.
If it's in a nonessential, 5 years is good, 8 is a bonus, 10, buy a lottery ticket!

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
When I had my 6 volt 8N battery was always a PIA and when I got the Kubota, first diesel, I took to heart the necessity of a good battery. Mine is just over a year old and whenever it is not in use the tender is on it, I wired a quick connect and have a specific parking spot with power in the barn.
Switching gears: My F150 has an Interstate, top of the line, battery that is about 5 years old. Never had a problem with it and I have a read out that shows about 11.8 volts when I first get in it, been like this for a few years. I put a charger on it periodically because I don't drive it every day. I read about batteries and most info says that you need over 12 volts for a healthy battery. Just curious how other people check/maintain their batteries and what voltage is good.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Just put #3 battery in my 1999 L301
Last one was from oreillys auto parts and lasted 10 years.
The original battery went when I was moving a log onto a trailer with a chain from the loader and the log had a big splinter on the end and it swung around and punched a hole in the battery through the grill guard. It was 9 years old and working until the puncture.
I just bought another from oreillys. Their basic store brand battery. 10 years on the last one seems pretty good to me.
The quality of 12V cranking batteries has improved immensely in the last 30 years or so. A ten year life is routine these days if the battery is not abused. Note: This is not true of 6V batteries, which still have a life of around 5 years.

Running a cranking battery completely flat will usually shorten the life by by about 1/2.

To obtain maximum life, one should fully charge the cranking battery in any piece of equipment that is not used in the off season at least every 4-5 weeks.

SDT

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I got almost 15 years out of an Optima red, in multiple vehicles. Last vehicle was my little flat bottom boat. Yes I keep a tender on it. I attribute the battery's life to the trickle charger. Everything I have has a tender now, at least the stuff that sits-and I don't let things sit that much other than the generator, which oddly enough, now needs a battery :mad: