bat wing mower

budpat105

Equipment
L3800
Aug 13, 2013
Jacksonville,il
I am mowing with a Kubota L3800HST and 60" woods brush-bull. All works good but taking too long to get job done. I am reclaiming pastures and my mowing acreage goes up ever year.So I need to get more horsepower and a bigger mower, but I hear bat-wings take less horsepower. Can I get a smaller bat-wing to work with my L3800? Thanks

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370 w/LA243, Bucket, Grapple, QA Pallet Forks, 60" MMM, rear blade & rake
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
A 15ft Alamo batwing mower requires a 50HP Tractor minimum.
A 12ft Woods batwing needs 35HP min - so this would be your max size.

aeronutt

Equipment
Z725 Mower, MX5200 w/FEL, Stihl 660, assorted others...
Jan 7, 2016
Omaha NE
I understand trying to make due with what you've got, but dragging a bat-wing mower is a job for a bigger tractor. The L3800 only delivers 30HP to the PTO so it isn't the right tool for the job. Are you looking to cut mowing time in half? Quarter? Less? An old racer saying applies equally here: Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go? Kubota makes some fine tractors that can handle bat wing mowers, but they require a thick wallet.

You didn't specify how many acres we're talking about or how often you're mowing it so it's hard to give a real accurate assement of your needs. Assuming we're talking about dozens of acres, You could pick up an older farm tractor in the 50-80 HP range for peanuts and use it for mowing. Save the L3800 for doing the smaller jobs that it's ideal for. Do I get banned for suggesting non-orange tractors?

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
If you don't want a bigger tractor might look at a Woods D80 pull type cutter. Rated down to 25hp and would only require 1 set of remotes to operate. It would give you a 80" cut which may help speed things up. You'll still probably find spots that it will over-load your power plant but it shouldn't be to bad in light pasture cutting.

There's no way I would hook a batwing behind that tractor, even the 12' model. Those numbers look good on paper but real world a 3800 doesn't have the weight or the power for a cutter that size.